Full Name: Jaco Roos
Nickname: Speedy
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: Isuzu Mu-X
Nissan Patrol Y61 2002 Lexus 4.3 V8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Speedy se toer trokkie

Post by Jaco Speedy Roos »

So finally I managed to decide on what wheels to go with, but somehow Im a bit disapointed in the amount of options available. Honestly, a few years ago when I was searching for wheels for another project, the biggest mission was trying to find a 0 offset or positive offset wheel as everything was a negative offset. Now, I cannot find a nice alloy wheelset with more than -12 offset. I eventually made peace with the Dynamic steel Sunraysia steel rims with a 17x10 and -25 offset specifications. My choice of rubber is the Vitour Explorer 35x12.5R17 mud Terrains. Everything should be arriving in the next week or so and it wil then be fitted with some nice pictures to follow.

Now for the math and real world application.

My current setup has a -10 rim on with 33x12.5R15 muds on which just just rubs on the fender inside. Given the fact that I am moving the offset out with another 15mm and the tire radius increases with 25mm, means that rubbing will most likely be the end result on the rear wheels. I should be able to fix this with the Tough dog coils that has a slightly higher lift than the OME coils and its also the constant load coils that I need for the drawer system and all the equipment that will remain in the Patrol.

All I can say is that Im very excited to fit the new toys on Toer Trokkie!
Mad Manny
Full Name: Manny De Freitas
Nickname: Mad Manny
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Fortuner
Home Language: English

Post by Mad Manny »

If you suspension set up requires the use of spacers, you bought the wrong suspension.
If a touring vehicle needs more than a 50mm lift, you bought the wrong tour vehicle....
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 01 Feb 2022 10:07 I should be able to fix this with the Tough dog coils that has a slightly higher lift
Uhm, Jaco, I don't want to be a party pooper, but what happens when you flex it out? You have not made any mention of extending the bump stops, and if they haven't been extended then full bump will take the axle right into the bump-stops irrespective of the spring rates (unless the springs are way too long, in which case you will have more serioue issues shortly), so the rubbing will still be there.

However, nobody else I know of is having problems with 35's rubbing at the rear of the rear arches of a GU. Not sure if this is caused by the offset and so I am wondering if there may be a different issue here? Maybe the body has moved due to collapsed mounts or the axle is not located properly (worn bushes or modified control arms or something)?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Jaco Speedy Roos

Peter Connan wrote: 01 Feb 2022 13:24
Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 01 Feb 2022 10:07 I should be able to fix this with the Tough dog coils that has a slightly higher lift
Uhm, Jaco, I don't want to be a party pooper, but what happens when you flex it out? You have not made any mention of extending the bump stops, and if they haven't been extended then full bump will take the axle right into the bump-stops irrespective of the spring rates (unless the springs are way too long, in which case you will have more serioue issues shortly), so the rubbing will still be there.

However, nobody else I know of is having problems with 35's rubbing at the rear of the rear arches of a GU. Not sure if this is caused by the offset and so I am wondering if there may be a different issue here? Maybe the body has moved due to collapsed mounts or the axle is not located properly (worn bushes or modified control arms or something)?
No Peter, I haven't adjusted the bumpstops yet. I get a slight touch from the tires on the 33s against the wheel well. Since I knew I wasnt going to stay with the 33s, I knew making mods before the final setup would be a waste of time and money. Once the new wheels are on and the new coils in, then I will see if the bumpstops need adjusting. If you were wondering, yes, it rubs slightly on both sides on full flex.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

on all the gu 61 models 35 clear the rear no problem ....kyk eers mooi wat aangaan
Steele
Full Name: Gareth Steele
Nickname: Steel
Home Town: Jhb
Current 4x4: Patrol 3.0 CRD 2014
Home Language: English

Post by Steele »

I agree with Tinus, the 33's really shouldn't be touching, unless the offset on your rims is way out. The 33's on my Trol fit easily in the wheel arches on full articulation.
Attachments
IMG_3561.JPG
IMG_3561.JPG (7.12 MiB) Viewed 7767 times
Cheers, Gareth
I think, therefore I am........ I think?!?!?!
Jaco Speedy Roos

My new tires arrived! I decided to go with the Vitour Explorer MT as it has a nice aggressive thread and since Toer Trokkie will mostly be used for adventures, I didnt want to go with an AT. Unfortunately the options on wheels are very limited out there and I was left with choosing Dynamic steel rims with a -25 offset
20220208_115458.jpg
20220208_115458.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
20220208_123318.jpg
20220208_123318.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
20220208_131908.jpg
20220208_131908.jpg (152.97 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Jaco Speedy Roos

Playing around with the ramps to make the necessary modifications for the 35s. Im currently running at 1.8 bar and it feels like the right balance for road use. Swaybars are connected again to get the handling back as well. I actually forgot what a difference these things make on the road.

I will have to give these wheel arches a slight trim on the inside and then modify the fuel tank hose cover as the tires are pushing against it
20220209_153245.jpg
20220209_153245.jpg (144.19 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
20220209_153514.jpg
20220209_153514.jpg (156.89 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
20220209_153433.jpg
20220209_153433.jpg (127.42 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Jaco Speedy Roos

Some feedback

After we fitted the 35x12.5R17 on a -25 offset wheel, I thought it would be good to change out the OME 2" comfort coils for the Tough Dog 742 HL coils that has a constant load rating of 300kg. Obviously the thought process is that if it was meant to carry more weight, it wont flex as much if there is no constant load right? Wrong! The Tough Dogs gained me an extra 30mm lift unladen compared to the OME and compressed a lot better than the OME too and I genuinely cant say that the Tough Dogs ride any harder, honestly, I thinks its softer!

So, my next mods are to extend those bump stops with about 10mm for extra safety and I need to get myself some swaybar disconnects and some decent shocks that can provide more travel compared to these OME shocks.

Engine wise, the Lexus 3uz 4.3 V8 really impressed me! I think my biggest issue has to be that I cannot lock a gear, even though I have all the wiring set up to be able to keep it in the gear. So the next step now is to give the Spitronic TCU a go and see what the results are. Since I changed to 35s, one can imagine that the revs are significantly lower and I managed a 22L/100km on the open road. My 3 biggest factors are that I cannot make the gearbox downshift and keep the gear and then I am still waiting for the fuel pressure regulator and my O2 sensors still need some cleaning or replacing. Taking that into account, I really dont think Toer Trokkie did bad at all. Torque wise, the motor didnt lack in my opinion either. Heat was also not an issue with these Davies Craig fans making quick work to cool her off in less than a minute!

Tire wise, my Vitours did exceptional. We did the red route at De Wildt 4x4 and the rain certainly did a number on the track! I opted for 1.0 bar pressure all round and the Patrol kept up with all the Jeeps from Rockrawler without issues at all. Considering the terrain is quite rocky, I checked the sidewalls for any damage, but glad to say not a single cut!

I am now in need for some new swaybar disconnects as my OEM ones are stuffed and might as well upgrade while we're at it!

To more adventures!
Jaco Speedy Roos

So our first trip with the Patrol on the 35" wheels and the -25 offset wheels went quite well. We had slight rubbing issues in the wheel well, so a small spacer on the bump stops should sort that out quite easy. My next step now is determining what the minimum distance is on the rear shock before the wheel touches the wheel well and then I can get the optimal shock length for my setup.

Okay, so except for the suspension, I was quite pleased with the cooling system in the mountains on the hot day and not once did I need to worry about engine temps as the system kicked in and switched off as it should.

My main frustration is definitely the gear shifting on the lexus gearbox. So for those that dont know, most Toyota gearboxes function on the PRND32 setup. This means that from Park, if you were to shift down, it would go to Reverse, then Neutral, then Drive which is 5th gear, then 3rd gear and then 2nd gear. Now, to simplify this, if you left it in drive, it can go through all the gears, if you select 3, then it can use 3rd, 2nd and 1st and if you select 2, then it can only use 2nd and 1st. So, to activate 4 and L, which is also on the gear shifter, you need to activate their electronic switches. Its quite a nice concept in practice, so Im going to run through how it would work in a small step to step guide:
* Drive - (mechanical select)
* 4 - shifting right in the lever activating the electronic switch in the shifter
* 3 - shift down from 4 deactivates drive override switch and mechanically engages 3rd gear
* 2 - shift down from 3 mechanically without any electronics involved
* L- shift left activating electronic switch to remain in 1st gear

Alright, with the explanation out of the way, I opted to keep using the Patrol auto shifter and this shifter only shifts downwards, so no switch relays are involved with the exception of the overdrive button on the shifter itself. So this means I need to have 2 electronic switches and with the current system I only have one which is the overdrive. Now, Ive done the wiring based on the installation diagram that I got to connect the 4th gear switch to deactivate 5th gear, but it did not work. I then switched the wiring over the the 1st gear setup and same story. So this leads me to belief that either the damn diagram is wrong or the wiring might not be set up as it should be. The next step now is to run the wiring straight from the ecu and then retest the setup.

Why is this important one might ask?
What I experienced is that when using low range, the engine kept gearing over to 2nd and then back to 1st resulting in a change in the momentum and ultimately affecting my traction in very steep sections. I can probably add a locker up front to improve the traction, but this only masks my current issue. Then, I would really like to be able to hold 4th gear, especially while going uphill or towing as this gearbox loves to stay in 5th and its not too keen on gearing down

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”