Full Name: Jaco Roos
Nickname: Speedy
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: Isuzu Mu-X
Nissan Patrol Y61 2002 Lexus 4.3 V8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Speedy se toer trokkie

Post by Jaco Speedy Roos »

New year and new excuses to spend more money on the Patrol.

Alright, so we have installed the 2" OME suspension as a temporary upgrade while we work towards on optimal 35" wheel suspension setup with the most articulation and the least lift necessary. I have concluded that the 2" lift with the 33x12.5 muds on -10 offset rubs when the swaybars are disconnected on the rear, but its perfect on the front.

For Christmas I managed to snatched a rear pair of Toughdog 200kg constant load coils for the rear which by the looks of things might lift slightly more than the OME as well.

After a long search I decided on Dynamic steel rims with a -25 offset that will go perfectly with the 35s. In the next month or so I will be posting pics of the tests
Steele
Full Name: Gareth Steele
Nickname: Steel
Home Town: Jhb
Current 4x4: Patrol 3.0 CRD 2014
Home Language: English

Post by Steele »

Coming along nicely!

I would be interested in your feedback with the tough dog. I bought my Trol with them already fitted and I believe they are also uprated coils. I find the ride is fine when loaded and towing, but quite harsh when driving empty. Especially on broken tar.
Cheers, Gareth
I think, therefore I am........ I think?!?!?!
Jaco Speedy Roos

Howzit Steele

Im most probably going to be at the 200kg mark at all times since I will be fitting a drawer system and fridge and soon a rear bumper for the 35" spare. Taking into consideration that the drawer system comes in at around 75kg and the fridge at 50kg, then adding the dual spare battery at around 15kg, this means Im 60kg short of touching the constant weight mark. This might also be in my favour before I install the bumper to avoid rubbing with the 35s. I think its going to be a fun journey experimenting with what works on my setup and what doesnt.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

progressive coils are the way forward . for a touring setup go 500kg once and dont try and re invent the wheel ...the best out there is the terrain taimer setup . ask Wilfret that you bought the Ome kit from .
most suspension kits ome iron man tuffdog ect are good qhen you use for rated setup but it is either to hard with no load or swinging with it
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

have a look this is what makes the difference on these and thats what i find work best.
when bought in kit form the price for 4 shocks 4 coils of any ratings steering damper and caster or center bushes there is no comparison in price versus quality. but let the guys that use it give you their feedback
Jaco Speedy Roos

Not interested in adding spacers with coils, it defeats the purpose of function and articulation of the coils for me. Terrain Tamer shocks are also just meant for a 2 inch lift, meaning adding the 30mm spacer puts the shocks 30mm closer to its maximum. I am aiming for a 4" shock with 3" coil setup as that would provide the optimal lift and articulation for me.
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

yes i hear you 35 on a gu works 100% with 2inch lift and if you want 30mm coil spacers . a toer trok doesn't work with long coils becouse of weight issues . ask around Dirk had 4 inch and is on constant 500 teraim taimers now and he can do 120 on highway and with the progressive coils he is higher loaded so check it out .your ome and airbags is also a plan with 35 tekkies
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 14 Jan 2022 07:36 Not interested in adding spacers with coils, it defeats the purpose of function and articulation of the coils for me. Terrain Tamer shocks are also just meant for a 2 inch lift, meaning adding the 30mm spacer puts the shocks 30mm closer to its maximum. I am aiming for a 4" shock with 3" coil setup as that would provide the optimal lift and articulation for me.
Jaco, I agree with the basic concepts of the above statement, but I do wonder though whether you are building a "toer trokkie" or a trail weapon?

Just a note on shocks: the critical dimension to keep in mind is the fully-compressed length. It doesn't matter whether you have no lift, or 4" lift, the fully compressed length cannot be increased unless you either extend the bump-stops (which robs articulation upwards even more quickly than coil spacers but may allow more articulation downwards) or somehow move the shock mounting points further apart. Thus the shocks supplied with the typical 4" lift are the same length and stroke as those supplied with the same supplier's 2" lift.

I know from experience that pretty much all the aftermarket shocks are built to a fully-compressed length which are pretty close to the maximum that the existing mounting points and bump-stop setup will allow. So, the only way to increase flex beyond that is one of the above two (neither of which I would do on a "toer trokkie" because they are significant mods which will either affect storage space or vehicle handling negatively), unless you currently have mono-tube shocks, in which case external-reservoir mono-tubes or twin-tubes may get you some more flex.

The above is also only really true for the rear suspension. The front suspension's flex is really limited by the radius arm bushes. Before you worry about optimising shocks and springs for front flex, you need to "loosen up" the radius arms. This can be done in one of three ways, each with their own pros and cons. These are "Superflex arms" (which basically reduce the distance between the bushes), an X-link, or by eliminating the radius arms completely by fitting either a four-link or a five-link setup. Again, all these setups have some disadvantages (which are explained and discussed at length on another thread on this forum) for a "toer trokkie".

If you are really serious about articulation, come feel my X-linked car. It's the only solution I consider even remotely suitable for a "toer trokkie".
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Jaco Speedy Roos

Peter Connan wrote: 14 Jan 2022 11:58
Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 14 Jan 2022 07:36 Not interested in adding spacers with coils, it defeats the purpose of function and articulation of the coils for me. Terrain Tamer shocks are also just meant for a 2 inch lift, meaning adding the 30mm spacer puts the shocks 30mm closer to its maximum. I am aiming for a 4" shock with 3" coil setup as that would provide the optimal lift and articulation for me.
Jaco, I agree with the basic concepts of the above statement, but I do wonder though whether you are building a "toer trokkie" or a trail weapon?

Just a note on shocks: the critical dimension to keep in mind is the fully-compressed length. It doesn't matter whether you have no lift, or 4" lift, the fully compressed length cannot be increased unless you either extend the bump-stops (which robs articulation upwards even more quickly than coil spacers but may allow more articulation downwards) or somehow move the shock mounting points further apart. Thus the shocks supplied with the typical 4" lift are the same length and stroke as those supplied with the same supplier's 2" lift.

I know from experience that pretty much all the aftermarket shocks are built to a fully-compressed length which are pretty close to the maximum that the existing mounting points and bump-stop setup will allow. So, the only way to increase flex beyond that is one of the above two (neither of which I would do on a "toer trokkie" because they are significant mods which will either affect storage space or vehicle handling negatively), unless you currently have mono-tube shocks, in which case external-reservoir mono-tubes or twin-tubes may get you some more flex.

The above is also only really true for the rear suspension. The front suspension's flex is really limited by the radius arm bushes. Before you worry about optimising shocks and springs for front flex, you need to "loosen up" the radius arms. This can be done in one of three ways, each with their own pros and cons. These are "Superflex arms" (which basically reduce the distance between the bushes), an X-link, or by eliminating the radius arms completely by fitting either a four-link or a five-link setup. Again, all these setups have some disadvantages (which are explained and discussed at length on another thread on this forum) for a "toer trokkie".

If you are really serious about articulation, come feel my X-linked car. It's the only solution I consider even remotely suitable for a "toer trokkie".

Yes, this is exactly what I am going for and what my testing entails. For me, the biggest flex and factor is the rear end. I am more about articulation than height. I want to have a setup that requires the least amount of lift while utilizing the maximum usability of the 35's. Once the 35s are fitted, I will calculate what the minimum shock length needs to be and then take it from there. I am going to play with the bump stops a bit if necessary, but it would mainly be if the wheels rub. I am also considering reservoir shocks later on. On your comment regarding a trail weapon, yes, yes I want to have a vehicle that I can go travel in Angola and also use on the trails. We also know your front setup doesnt really change in terms of weight for tours or the trails, so a coil swop in the rear is all that is really neccesary if I wanted to change from my overlanding setup and to go hit the trails. I think I just enjoy planning and testing and the journey its putting me on.

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”