Browne Davis Long Range Fuel Tanks

Relating to fuel tanks, long range, fuel type, fuel filters and other fuel related queries
Kirbster
Full Name: Hugh Kirby
Nickname: Hugh
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: 2014 Nissan Patrol GRX 4800
Home Language: English

Browne Davis Long Range Fuel Tanks

Post by Kirbster »

I got the phone call on Monday that all of us 4x4 enthusiasts can't wait for...."Your accessories are arriving in SA on Friday"...Woohoo!

I ordered my Browne Davis Long Range Fuel Tanks ( https://browndavisafrica.com/) to replace both the main and aux tanks. I will add another 110lt of capacity to the Troll. The order was placed late last year and was shipped over from Australia. Airfreight was just way too expensive. Installation will be done by R&D in Brackenfell Cape Town.

The courier should arrive with the tanks in CPT sometime during the coming week and then installation will start early Feb that should take more than a day or two. I will share pictures when it's done.

Some may ask why I dont just use Jerry Cans? Well I have done that. We did a 7,000 km round trip from CPT to Epupa Falls in June 2018 where I was towing my Conqueror Comfort Trailer (did Van Zyl's pass with it too) and I carried 6 Jerry's on the roof rack and two on the trailer and there were two instances where I ran close to running out of fuel due to unavoidable circumstances. Carrying that amount of fuel on the roof is bloody heavy and takes up a lot of space that I would rather use for storage of other items.

I'm also converting the Troll to a touring vehicle so that I dont have to tow for overlanding and this means that I need space on the roof rack and I also want to get as much weight as possible under the vehicle.

I should also clarify that I have almost 4" of lift so the extra depth of these tanks will not affect my clearance as much as a vehicle with a lower or no lift. I no longer actively seek out grade 4 & 5 tracks to test my skills. If it's part of the journey then all good, but not something I will actively plan to do like I did in the early days.
Last edited by Kirbster on 22 Jan 2020 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
- Previous 4x4: 2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 dCI AT. ARB Suspension and ARB Rear Locker.
- Currently Towing: 2017 Conqueror Comfort Trailer with factory mounted bush awning.
- YouTube: "Simple Life Overlanding"
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero

Re: Browne Davis Long Range Fuel Tanks

Post by Rhett »

Nice one! Can never go wrong with more fuel space in a Patrol. So can you clarify, you will add another 110l? So you will be able to carry ±250l in total just in tanks?
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Kirbster

Post by Kirbster »

Rhett wrote: 22 Jan 2020 08:24 Nice one! Can never go wrong with more fuel space in a Patrol. So can you clarify, you will add another 110l? So you will be able to carry ±250l in total just in tanks?
Correct. Should hopefully get close to 900km of range if I'm not towing or driving in low range in heavy sand.
- Previous 4x4: 2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 dCI AT. ARB Suspension and ARB Rear Locker.
- Currently Towing: 2017 Conqueror Comfort Trailer with factory mounted bush awning.
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero

Post by Rhett »

Kirbster wrote: 22 Jan 2020 08:26
Rhett wrote: 22 Jan 2020 08:24 Nice one! Can never go wrong with more fuel space in a Patrol. So can you clarify, you will add another 110l? So you will be able to carry ±250l in total just in tanks?
Correct. Should hopefully get close to 900km of range if I'm not towing or driving in low range in heavy sand.
I reckon even more, upwards up 1200km a tank even with a roofrack
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Kirbster

Post by Kirbster »

Rhett wrote: 22 Jan 2020 08:32
Kirbster wrote: 22 Jan 2020 08:26
I reckon even more, upwards up 1200km a tank even with a roofrack
That will make me a happy man! :blonde:
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Hi Hugh

very cool, almost did the same after my Epupa trip, but the costs were outrageous back in 2010. Maybe prices have come down with scale, can you give us an indication of costs for the Browne Davis tanks?

Thank you
John
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Kirbster

Post by Kirbster »

JohnBoyZA wrote: 22 Jan 2020 10:54 Hi Hugh

very cool, almost did the same after my Epupa trip, but the costs were outrageous back in 2010. Maybe prices have come down with scale, can you give us an indication of costs for the Browne Davis tanks?

Thank you
John
R39k all-in. R28k for the two tanks. The rest is import, courier, and fitment. It's still expensive as you can see, so it's not a logical modification if you only look at cost. However, I'm in the process of building for touring and need the space on the roof so there is no other option.
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Blixem, that's a lot, but I think we are in the same boat. I have also moved away from trailing and am slowly building up the trol as a long-range overlanding vehicle. Let me know when it's done, would love to check it out.

Thank you
John
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Pearly
Full Name: Derick Pearl
Nickname: Pearly
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Pearly »

@kirbster, was that your silver patrol with the gull wing windows rear at r and d?
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Northern Offroad sells a stainless 139lt tank that fits in the place of your old standard tank. There is a heck of a lot of wasted space in where that standard tank fits. I fitted that on my previous 4.2i SGX Automatic GQ Y60 Patrol, with an additional 70lt (self designed, made by Uys of Stofpad Products) tank where the sub-tank sits on my current Y61. The 139lt tank cost me about R3995 fitted, at the time. :oldtimer:

Uys charged me about R2000 for the additional tank

That gave me a total fuel capacity of 210lt on the vehicle. Back in 2010 when I did Faces of the Namib Tour, I needed that (plus 2 x 2lt Jerry cans). At the end of that trip from Solitaire, I had 33lt of fuel left (when we got to Walvisbaai) of the 250lt I started the trip with, returning 2.23km per litre!! To fill it, was about R2500 in 2010 :surprised:

I think that Northern Offroad currently charges about R10k for the tank, fitted..... :mytwocents:

Return to “11b. Fuel Related”