Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4.8 Service

Post by Pieter B »

I read about the method to run the new oil through the oil cooler piping. But, I also saw the same literature as Paul Greeff regarding the friction material residing in the old oil that keeps the clutches from slipping! So that is the reason why I just drained the oil in the oil pan. After 2 drains the oil colour is looking much beter and no slipping to report.
jacquesW
Full Name: Jacques Wilkinson
Nickname: JacquesW
Home Town: Kraaifontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8

Post by jacquesW »

So I did the Diff and Transfer case oil changes over the past weekend. I am waiting for DTM Helderberg to get new stock on ATF.

Front Diff took 5+ litres to fill. The oil I took out looked good and no surprises were stuck to the magnet.
Rear Diff took about 3.5 litres to fill. Oil was slightly dirtier and there was about 3 small pieces of actual metal pieces stuck to the magnet :thumbdown: 2 of them was like little 1mm x 1mm bits and the other one was more like a thinn shaving about 5mm long.
Transfer case took only 1.5 litres

Does the above top up amounts look about right? All filled to the point of running out the filler hole.
pgreeff
Full Name: Paul Greeff
Nickname: Paul
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4

Post by pgreeff »

Between the two diffs I used all 10l of oil so it sounds about right, but I am sure I got about 2.5l in the transfer case. Perhaps someone else can confirm.
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

I was also surprised that I only changed 1.5L on transfer case. Was expecting 2 - 2.5l. Not that I have seen any official documentation on capacity. I checked now again and when I open the filler plug on the transfer case the new oil started to run out. As I have it vehicle has to be on flat surface.

I guess only so much can fit in concidering the location of the filler hole. My fill up and drain did match in quantity.
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Ok So I finally found the capacities in the Nissan Service Manual which states 1.9Litres. I suppose 1.5. is reasonable amount of new oil to be putting in. The Transfer was not warm.

I will do another drain after a short while as the transfer was still running GL4 which I now replaced with ATF. So there will still be a fair amount of oil mixing going on in there.

Transfer fluid Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent*4 or API GL-4*1
TX12A 1.9 1-5/8 qt

Return to “16. DIY Projects”