Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Led Hoof ligte

Post by ChristoSlang »

ricster wrote: 12 Apr 2019 09:24 Yeah it only seems the the interference noise happens when on a radio station, on CD's its perfect, on BT Audio its perfect, on "telephone" it's perfect, so just on FM and AM channels.
Sounds like your antenna, then...
ricster wrote: 12 Apr 2019 09:24 Ok, I assume I need to strip off the plastic splash guard in the wheel well out, and with a lot of profanity get my hands up into the tiny crevice where the aerial is to fit an earth wire from there and run that directly to the battery?...... hmmm maybe you are right Christo..... take it to a radio installation shop.
I've never seen an earth wire on a car antenna! The antenna's fitting has teeth that should bite through the paint & anti-rust sealer to make a good connection to the body - that will be the earth. The wire coming from the antenna to the radio should not be cut/joined - it is shielded on the outside to prevent interference. And yes, there's very little space to work! And you'll probablyy need a silly swivel head ratchet spanner to fasten that nut at the bottom properly that you'll have to string all the way from the fitting at the end of the cable. Unless you're lucky and the antenna's fitting fastens from the top.

Sounds like you should make it an SEP (somebody else's problem) to me :biggrin: :biggrin:

Antenna screw.jpg
Antenna screw.jpg (204.77 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Thanks Christo!!!

Yeah, I can't remember exactly how the antennae connection actually looked when i fitted the "bee-sting" aerial years back.

Hypothetically speaking now... Does the car body play a role in the quality of radio frequency reception. In other words the teeth that bite into the body, does that form part of the "circuit" to get the best radio reception. Or, if one had a electrical connector between the body and the toothed thingy that was connected with a wire directly to the battery earth. basically bypassing the body earth.

I can imagine that this would be virtually impossible due to there being no space to fit a hand in there to even tighten the nut to hold the aerial in place, let alone get a washer ( connector ) in the mix....haha... but just curious...
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by ChristoSlang »

ricster wrote: 15 Apr 2019 09:12 Hypothetically speaking now... Does the car body play a role in the quality of radio frequency reception. In other words the teeth that bite into the body, does that form part of the "circuit" to get the best radio reception.
Yes, that creates the ground plane for the monopole antenna.

The wire going to the radio is comprised of two parts - the actual antenna feed in the centre, and a sheath all the way around it to guard against interference. That's why you should never splice the antenna wire...
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

:thumbup: Thanks Christo.... We learn something new every day !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “13c. Headlights and Replacement Lights”