Sub-Tank Capacity

Relating to fuel tanks, long range, fuel type, fuel filters and other fuel related queries
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Sub-Tank Capacity

Post by iandvl »

An interesting conversation on consumption and sub-tank capacity appeared on the "Happy Birthday Michael" thread yesterday as a result of my thread hi-jack (sorry). The original thread is here: http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=5582

In any case, as promised, I filled up both tanks today. This time I had them fill the sub-tank first and stood by to confirm capacity. I did not over-fill - basically, I had the attendant let the tank fill until the pump automatically switched off and top it up just a tiny bit more. I put in 39.67L - confirming the manual stating the sub-tank capacity is 40-odd Litres.
subtank.jpg
subtank.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 8209 times
In the owner's manual, it would appear as if there are different specifications for the sub-tank. For example, Oz-specs indicate a sub-tank volume of 32L. Not sure if other specification tanks were fitted to ZA-based Patrols. This may result in the discrepancies we seem to have. Alternatively, Alex' comment about sludge and dirt could also be accurate. It would be interesting to know for real what the actual reasons for these discrepancies are.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Sub-Tank Capacity

Post by Michael »

Great thread Ian

It will be very interesting to see what results come out of this, I will however have a look at my sub tank for the sludge like Alex mentioned.
Just tee keep the stats going I only managed to get 30L into my sub tank and it would be great if someone else with a GL 4.2D can give their numbers.

I need to fill up today again and will verify these numbers as I did not check the attendant at every filling station in NAM
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
jonathan
Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX

Post by jonathan »

Thanks Ian, I have also often wondered about the actual capacity.

When driving with a full main tank, how many km's can you do before the fuel light comes on? I have also tried to do what you have basically done trying to figure out how far I can go on the main tank, luckily I didn't have to get towed, because my nerves gave up before I got the last drop :lol: but the fuel light didn't come on. So I am not sure if I gave in too soon or if my fuel light is busted :think:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

If you have even a litre volume of sludge in the tank you have a serious problem.....hahaha.

Just be happy you have the sub tank..... mine didn't come out with one... :confused: .... so someone built a 60L stainless water tank in its place.

I will one day build a new water tank and fit it on the opposite side under the Patrol, and then convert the current water tank into a diesel tank. That will give me a 150L fuel capacity..... ahhhhh time and money.... If only I have a little of both.....hahahaha
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

jonathan wrote:Thanks Ian, I have also often wondered about the actual capacity.

When driving with a full main tank, how many km's can you do before the fuel light comes on? I have also tried to do what you have basically done trying to figure out how far I can go on the main tank, luckily I didn't have to get towed, because my nerves gave up before I got the last drop :lol: but the fuel light didn't come on. So I am not sure if I gave in too soon or if my fuel light is busted :think:
Jonathan,

Before I try seeing how far I can go again, I'm going to have to have the low fuel sensor checked out, as the light didn't come on (only briefly) at all the other day when I was towed - hence getting stuck in my predicament...

I put in 125L in total this morning, which would mean that I should have had about 10L left...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Michael wrote:Great thread Ian

It will be very interesting to see what results come out of this, I will however have a look at my sub tank for the sludge like Alex mentioned.
Just tee keep the stats going I only managed to get 30L into my sub tank and it would be great if someone else with a GL 4.2D can give their numbers.

I need to fill up today again and will verify these numbers as I did not check the attendant at every filling station in NAM
Michael,

Please do and post. I guess it is possible that the vehicle may have the oz-spec sub-tank installed (ie: the 32L one). However, please confirm when you fill up...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

ricster wrote:If you have even a litre volume of sludge in the tank you have a serious problem.....hahaha.

Just be happy you have the sub tank..... mine didn't come out with one... :confused: .... so someone built a 60L stainless water tank in its place.

I will one day build a new water tank and fit it on the opposite side under the Patrol, and then convert the current water tank into a diesel tank. That will give me a 150L fuel capacity..... ahhhhh time and money.... If only I have a little of both.....hahahaha
Cedric,

Reading the threads, it seems as if some people didn't get vehicles with subtanks. This confuses me. I was under the impression that it was standard on all 'trols...

Technically, if you have a 60L water tank being converted to diesel a diesel tank, between the main and the subtank you should have 155L of liquid black smoke... :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
juice
Full Name: greg justus
Nickname: juice
Home Town: benoni
Current 4x4: patrol 2001
safari 1984 wagon
safari 1982 wagon
Home Language: english

Post by juice »

On my 3l gx the sub is 40l and my main is 100l as my needle on the gauge hits the E mark I have still got another 15l in the main tank
but I don't even know if I have a light that comes on , I rather not pump the sludge or dirt on the bottom of my tank to the filter,
only one time I let it get very low in Botswana ,and stopped to put the 20l I had on the roof , not cool running out of diesel , to much trouble bleeding ,pumping to get the air out
juice
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Some of the Gl's did not come out with the sub-tank. I think it was an optional extra on them. The GRX models have the sub-tank as standard. This is for the 4.5 and should also be on the 4.2D GU.
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Marinus,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was super confused about the whole thing. Did not realise they were optional extras. I thought they were standard across the board.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Return to “11b. Fuel Related”