Who rides on Kumho tyres ?

davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Re: Who rides on Kumho tyres ?

Post by davidvdm »

That is what I found so amazing on the KL71's, the tread pattern is so deep and big, you hardly kick up any water on a fairly deeply flooded tar road compared to the other guys. That again translates to it nearly being impossible to aquaplane. When I took off the KL's and had to go back to my old ATX's, it was a serious wake up call to change my driving style into conservative mode.

Come hell or high water, and even living more frequent steering component changes, I want my KL's back
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
marakasmalan
Full Name: Marnus Malan
Nickname: marakasmalan
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: '94 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by marakasmalan »

Hello guys,

My practical 2 pence on the matter - and I'm quite happy if you disagree.

RE the safety issue: If safety is that important and something that we cannot compromise at all, then we should not even be thinking of driving these vehicles. They have thel lowest NCAP ratings you can imagine (even though the class measure is different, hence you cannot compare the rating like for like to, lets say, a medium sized sedan.), they have long stopping distances, very poor impact energy dissipation properties (the impact force during an accident is mostly dependant on the crumple zones and properties of the car you hit), roll over due to swaying much easier than a car etc. etc. The influence the tyres have on the safety aspect can very easily be compensated for by adjusting the driving style and habits.

In my opinion, one should consider the use of your vehicle and the amount of your tyres that achieve an end-of-life through "unnatural causes". If 90% of the time you run your tyres until they are racing slicks, you may have some firm argument to shop for the brand of your choice, but if you realise 50% of the time your tyres are cut, shredded or mutilated due to use and application - buy the cheapest you can get.

The tyre discussions and opinions, for passenger cars as well, seem to be more subjective than the discussions and opinions about which red wine must be the best. Then again, lifed would be pretty boring without these discussions.

Back to work now, cheerio.

Marnus
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

Marnus, that is what we are saying with these tyres. These things give us nearly better than most road tyre type handling on tar, especially wet tar. Like I said in my previous post, I am yet to get the KL's to aqua plane, but my Firestone just want to fly.

Rand per kilometer I have not yet found someone who can say that the KL's are expensive for the kilos we get out of them. My example is Bridgstone was basically 2,5 times the price of my last set of KL at time of purchase.

Safety is another issue. We may be driving barns around with associated handling characteristics. But I tell you one thing, I find the weight advantage a very welcoming and reassuring feeling on the roads today.

OK, not quiet the same thing you are talking about regarding encap ratings and stuff like that, but the old Hardbody has been the only vehicle that not only passed it's first crash test (at 45km/h I think) but the guys now had a vehicle they could sacrifice and took it back for a second run at 60Km/h. It survived again and although no radiator, they then went and wrote it off at over 80Km/h. Non of these encap rated cars are going to survive there first 45km/h run, let alone come back for another to runs.

I'm old school in this regard. I come from the old VIP guarding background and for me it is more about the security that these vehicles offer. They can take a fair punch and carry on going.

OK, that's all academic. The fact of the matter is that I will install and add things to my vehicle that makes it "better" for me. In handling, performance, security and what ever department I choose. By putting these tyres on my car again, I can continue my Nissan journey with confidence that no other tyre has been able to give me.
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Spot on Marnus !!

Yes for sure, safety I think was not high on the priority list on Patrols and probably similar styles of big SUV's like the Cruisers etc. ( Maybe better on the newer models of Patrols and the likes :think: :think: ). One has a HUGE chance of flipping the car over if you have an impact as they will tend to fly over the other vehicle and roll. Yes the petrol Patrols can achieve quite a good top speed..... thank goodness my diesel seems settled at 120- 130km/h . Having said this, Patrols and some of the others were and are NOT meant for this kind of speed. To stop 3 tons quickly is a mammoth task, irrespective of tyre and/or brake pad/disc choice. ( my 4.2 diesel doesn't even come out with ABS braking !!! :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: )

So all we can do is to try to make the best decision one can to try tweek the results of stopping. Harder compounds give great mileage but there then has to be a compromise in performance, soft compounds stick like sheeeeeeet to a blanket, but leave you replacing tyres often. Tread patterns, I believe, is where the secret lies. Here the optimum tread pattern and compound can be designed and put into production.

I don't knock any tyre brand, they all have there place and market. I had bad experience with Duellers, for example on my Patrol, but Oom Mac swears by them, Grant swears by Maxi's and Tinus says he gets 140 000 km out of a set of tyres ( I don't know how he gets that right, especially on a work bakkie that gets loaded to the max constantly and driven hard :think: :think: .... those tyres must be made of titanium.... :lol: :lol: .... so each driving style vs safety vs cost vs vehicle, has to be taken into account for sure.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
marakasmalan

Post by marakasmalan »

I've had a very good experience with the Duelers and got ±90k out of a set of second hand tyres. My coopers never made it to natural end-of-life.

The GQ's are lighter than the GU's and I think that is where the difference lies, I have heard that the duelers are not to fond of a obese superstructure.

Now I am steadily phasing over to BFG KM2 MT's (upgraded the spare wheel up to now :), upon Tinus's indoctronation and generous help to arrange competitive prices. This guy never seems busy when a Patrol forum guy is needing help, he always jumps to action, makes calls and make things happen when one is in need. This, coupled to their urban reputation, was reason enough for me to accept the price tag of the KM2's.

Then again, I've "heard" that BFG lost their contract to supply the US army and subsequently changed their compound to be more commercially viable, to the detriment of end-users. However, I have not been able to substantiate this.

I've also never came across a disgrunled Khumo tyre treader, and always found them to be happy with their value for money deal.

Never mind old-school, I see a lot of sense in the "platsak" school of thought - the risk of writing a tyre off is alway eminent when doing what we are suppose to do with these vehicles, so I question myself often for not buying a cheeper tyre with a lower impact upon "demise-of-investment"...
Last edited by marakasmalan on 27 Nov 2013 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
marakasmalan

Post by marakasmalan »

ricster wrote:...and Tinus says he gets 140 000 km out of a set of tyres ( I don't know how he gets that right, especially on a work bakkie that gets loaded to the max constantly and driven hard :think: :think: .... those tyres must be made of titanium.... :lol: :lol: .... so each driving style vs safety vs cost vs vehicle, has to be taken into account for sure.
The way Tinus drive is quite clever, it is so harsh the tyres seldom have contact with the ground to allow for wear and tear. Also this way the km's get inflated due to spinning in the air :rolling:
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ok you guys "haal my uit" :rolling:
I bought the slow lux with 105 000km on went straight to barend and bought a set of 31 10.5 km2 for it put in a tpms and keep the pressure between 3.5 and 3 bar look at the rating on them they work up to 5.5bar . Every 5000 km I park on the ramp inspect and rotate to compensate wear check wheel alignment and off I go normally under 20min . I now have 253000 km on the poor thing and looks like I am going to get about 160000 km out of this set . As I say the size I use goes for 2200 per tire
To me money well spend but the main saving grace is the tpms
I never drive a tire flat that just kills them . I do load it heavy from time to time had 30 bags of cement on it today .....tomorrow im going home to pick up supplies and its going to take 1.2 tons of wood .so after all this how can I not use them again ????
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

Cedric, keep pounding these guys for a deal please. Things looking good for me to be working abroad for a few months. Not even sure I will be keeping the Sani, but he needs new rubber and a set of 5 (maybe even six) KL71's is in the budget for around February March if all goes well.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a spare (laying around looking for a new home :wink: ) standard harbody steel rim. I have got my hands on four, plus my current spare makes five, I need another for a second spare so that I can have the KL's facing both directions on the spares :rolling: , lol, no not really, but two spares are my idea for over landing and helps with rotation issues as well.
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Dave, they told me that they are more than willing to give us a great deal. They have also asked me to do a write up about places the Kumho's have been, and how they performed. Almost like a little trip writeup.

So if anyone has a little some write ups, about their trips with Kumho's, please send them to me, and I'll forward them on.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

Show them my trokkie with the KL's clearly visible on the advert for De Wildt in WegRy/ Driveout magazine :wink:
20080210 De Wildt-335.jpg
20080210 De Wildt-335.jpg (161.29 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”