Petrol 4.2 SGL fuel consumption (TB42 engine)

Engines and Engine Systems
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Petrol 4.2 SGL fuel consumption (TB42 engine)

Post by Kagiso II »

Kobus & I ran into a Y61 with 4,2 DIESEL engine up in Kang (Botswana) - Owner is from Nam -- eisjjjjj, I WISHED for that car, but is not for sale ...
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

marakasmalan wrote:Definitely a few running around.

Not that I think even Nissan knew what specification we had in SA, they con't even recogdnise the VIN nr....

some had fridges, some not, some had the skyline type air vent controls and some had manual levers.
That's interesting to know...will keep and eye out.

In the early days all the GQ's were import vehicles....I think that's probably why Nissan is so clueless about the model now.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
SRXy

Post by SRXy »

Kagiso II wrote:Kobus & I ran into a Y61 with 4,2 DIESEL engine up in Kang (Botswana) - Owner is from Nam -- eisjjjjj, I WISHED for that car, but is not for sale ...
I've got a Y61 with a 4.2 Diesel...it is a beaut of a car.... :woo:

ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by ChristoSlang »

marakasmalan wrote:I do not see anything wrong with the Petrol engines (consumption ± the same as the diesel engines, last just as long, more power) <snip>
Uhm... errr.. no! The 4.2 diesels use a lot less fuel than the petrol engines :naughty:

Mine runs on 33" tyres with a 3" lift, bull-bar, permanently fitted roof-rack (loaded with all manner of goodies). It spends most of its life driving obstacles, and the remainder driving to and from them. Even so it returns a 6k/liter average, which is the best a 4.2 petrol can hope to achieve.

The guys with "standard" 4.2 diesels (i.e. smaller tyres, less busy roof-racks, some open road, etc.) speak of 8-10 kms to a liter :thumbup:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
marakasmalan
Full Name: Marnus Malan
Nickname: marakasmalan
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: '94 Patrol SGL

Post by marakasmalan »

ChristoSlang wrote:
marakasmalan wrote:The guys with "standard" 4.2 diesels (i.e. smaller tyres, less busy roof-racks, some open road, etc.) speak of 8-10 kms to a liter :thumbup:
Yes, we all speak of that consumption, with a sense of longing and a "far-away-look" in our eyes.

That is most definitely not a true consumtion if they are using "standard tyres", deduct between 10% and 15% straight away. measure against GPS distance and be surprised.

What do the diesel guys get with the 33" tyres?

What I remember from a Kalahari Trip is that me and the farmer (with the 4.2 Diesel) filled up prior to going to the farm and when returning and we used the same amount of fuel, give or take 3 litres and he carried less weight. Admitted, this was prior to fitting the 33".

But to have a like for like comparison will be interesting, and there is only one way of doing that: by driving the same route on the same day at the same pace and compare fuel consumed.

regards
Abri Hoffman
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Abri Hoffman
Nickname: Abri
Home Town: Monument Park
Current 4x4: 2013 FJ Cruiser

Post by Abri Hoffman »

I have now done 80 000km with the GQ tb42s and on average got 4.9km/l. Best ever 7.2 between Oshakati and Ruakana. Worst was on the same trip through Kaokoland travelled 1034 km and used 285l of petrol. They are thirsty fullstop. In the same vain it has to be said that I bought mine for R35k with 240km on the clock. After 80k km of very hard work the only items I replaced were tyres, bogey cords, a waterpump and a few hoses.
The family joke is at the beginning of every trip the wife and I say to each other that this will be the last trip with the GQ and will replace it with something newer. Day 3 we wonder whether it is necessary and by day 5 we decide we must have been smoking something to want to sell it.
2013 FJ Cruiser
"Jack Russel"
Stefaansie
Full Name: Andre Vorster
Nickname: André
Home Town: Benoni
Current 4x4: 1996 SGL-D 4.2 Patrol

Post by Stefaansie »

marakasmalan wrote:
ChristoSlang wrote:
marakasmalan wrote:The guys with "standard" 4.2 diesels (i.e. smaller tyres, less busy roof-racks, some open road, etc.) speak of 8-10 kms to a liter :thumbup:
Yes, we all speak of that consumption, with a sense of longing and a "far-away-look" in our eyes.

That is most definitely not a true consumtion if they are using "standard tyres", deduct between 10% and 15% straight away. measure against GPS distance and be surprised.

What do the diesel guys get with the 33" tyres?

What I remember from a Kalahari Trip is that me and the farmer (with the 4.2 Diesel) filled up prior to going to the farm and when returning and we used the same amount of fuel, give or take 3 litres and he carried less weight. Admitted, this was prior to fitting the 33".

But to have a like for like comparison will be interesting, and there is only one way of doing that: by driving the same route on the same day at the same pace and compare fuel consumed.

regards

Dagsê Manne,

I have a '96 GQ diesel, with SAC aftermarket turbo.
Bought the lorrie with 31.5" tires, worked out the fuel consumption on GPS distances. ODO says 103.5km when GPS says 100km.
Best consumption was 9.25km/L at "ouma" speed(roughly 100kph) on highway. BTW with the 31.5" tires the speedo was very far out. Speedo 120, gps 106; speedo 160(scarily easy with that diesel), gps 143.
Avg traveling to Naboom was 8,2km/L at 120(kar speedo)
Worst consumption was 6.2km/L towing the echo with plenty on the roof rack.
Unladen the egt' was fairly low, mostly under 300.

Now with 33"(285, 75 R16) tires, there are some differences.
For a start, the egt's are much higher, 400-500degC on flat road.
ODO says 100km, GPS says 104.5km
At 120kph speedo, gps indicates 115kph
Consumption to Clarence and back gave me 7,4km/L(gps distances)at 100-120(speedo)

That diesel is a beauty!!!
According to SAC it produces 161KW and 469Nm(personally I think its less because it was calculated from the 31,5" tires and I don't trust that calculation)

Anywhoo, hope it makes sense...

Regards,
'96 SGL-D PATROL (GQ)
ECHO 3
'07 SUZUKI BOULEVARD 1800
'06 YAMAHA 700 RAPTOR
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

For the record all the figures I quoted for my car are GPS-corrected.

I know two people who have fuel-injected Y60 petrol Patrols, although both now have other engines. The one is Christo Boegman (Bogeyman), and the other is Malcolm van Coller (MVColler). Both these cars also had/have auto boxes, and both are known imports. The one was an UNTAG vehicle, the other cameoverland from the UK.

A lot of the cars that Nissan cannot identify, actually have "made in South Africa" on the VIN plates. There is a rumour that these may have been imported in semi-knocked-down form by McCarthy, and assembled at Mercedes Benz.

SRXY, if I may ask, why are you looking for a second Patrol?

There is an ad in the classifieds section for a very nice 4.2 Diesel Y60 high-roof wagon. Check there or search Timstrebla's posts, I believe it may still be available?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
SRXy

Post by SRXy »

With 33" tyres I get ~7.4km/l with my TD42 Patrol (N/A) cruising around town (high way speeds of ~120km/h). If I have a stacked roofrack and a loaded vehicle and a very strong headwind it will go down to 6.2. The worst I've had is 4km/l, but that was heavy deep sand driving with a fully laden vehicle and all low-range 1st/2nd.

Unfortunately the TD42's are very rare or the ones that come up have huge mileage or been abused.....if I could get another TD42 like my current one I would in a heartbeat.

There are a few guys on the Aussie Trol forum that have clocked up 800,000km's plus on after market turboed TD42's....that's saying a lot.

Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

SAC have fitted a Safari Turbo and Intercooler on my troll and if you visit the Safari web page, you can get the update figures . A Diesel GQ with this kit is rated at 140 kW and 430 Nm. My Troll runs between 86 to 98 Kw on the wheels and around 380 to 405 Nm on the engine. I run 33" Muds and fuel consumption is around the 6.8 to 7.3 km/lt.

169 Kw on a GQ means it is boosting well over a bar.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy

Return to “09. Engines”