Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Air Filter Service

Post by AndriesS »

Why not try http://www.donaldson.co.za/html/air_filtration_.html
and look up one of their suppliers:
http://www.donaldson.co.za/html/gauteng.html

Hopefully they know the range and can assist.
davejones
Full Name: David Jones
Nickname: David
Home Town: Lagos, Nigeria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.2D GL
Home Language: English

Post by davejones »

Thanks guys for all the replies!

Ross / Cedric - please post pics of your set ups if you can, would be great to compare.

Andries - I've looked at donaldson and that would be first prize - but their filters are huge - would be interesting to see if i move the 2nd battery if there would be space.

Frans thanks for your advice.... i really didnt want to have to move the battery... more $$$ spent.... and I dont have a draw/packing system in the back.

So now I'm faced with the current 3 choices: :think:

1. Use larger BMC freeflow filter, fit snorkel, fit pre-filter to snorkel when go offroad (interim solution)
2. Find suitable filter drum and get larger paper filter (Frans what filter were you running inside 4.5 drum... was it toyota 4500 efi or nissan), move battery, spend $$$ on start of packing system, also is this big wiring job?
turbo setup.jpg
turbo setup.jpg (79.32 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
3. do number 2 above but with a donaldson

With current open air filter set up.... egt's same if not better than before so is this not okay for now? Or is hot air intake a separate issue?

Eish..... feeling disheartened as i want everything now 100% correct
1998 Nissan Patrol GL (GU / Y61 - TD42, with turbo)
An ox, but with balls !!!
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Hello Dave.
I used a Nissan 4.5 efi drum with bracket with the Nissan filter.The only bad thing about that filter,I only bought it from Nissan and payed R600 for the cartridge.But yes the filter in the pic are a nissan 4.5 efi.
I know to move the battery go with wireing and effort and $$$.But it wil be your first best option.
Or use the other filter housing and fit a paper filter and hook it up again to the fender and then to the snorkel.
For what it worth.Inside at the left back section of your Patrol,are plenty space for a battery without a drawer system.Pull off the pannel and you will find a hole to fit a battery/small water tank.You will only have to find a way to enter the battery when the cover is fitted.The GRX models have a little cover,I think to fit a std spanner set from nissan?You can use that to get to the bat if needed.You can pull the cover off to replace the batt when shot every how many years or so.Just an idea.
Good luck.
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Dave, Oompie thinks that maybe the Donaldson of the VG 30 Hard Body will fit in that space ... maybe measure a VG 30 box?
I got one for LOBO for R300 [with pipes & new filter in] at One Tonner Spares [Pta West]

just a thought...
donaldson luginlaat.JPG
donaldson luginlaat.JPG (99.25 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I was thinking the same there Oom Mac, The VG 30 air box and filter is probably 2x the size of the one in our 4.2's. If I remember correctly the Isuzu KB 280 DT I had also had a huge air box and filter. I never got a chance to take any photos yesterday, was busy with clients, and again today but I'll show you my $#@$# small foam filter, which after reading this makes so much sense that I can't believe I never even thought about the size and air volume.

Dave, I know on Chuck Norris (Christo), he has moved his 2nd battery back towards the firewall, still on the same side. There are some vaccume pipes and canisters in the way if you move the battery there, but he swapped the positions, in other words her put the battery where the vaccume pipes are and shifted the vaccume goodies to where the battery was. Doing this should be a relatively cheap operation and then there should be huge amounts of space for the bigger airbox.

I will look at my setup too, and see if it can work on mine, as my intercooler sits on top of the tappet cover with a disaster setup for the air intake into the intercooler from the turbo. I need to move the intercooler around .... somehow... to make a plan to get rid of the pipe making first a sharp 110 deg bend and then again another sharp 90 deg bend into the I/C.... :thumbdown: .... maybe tackle the whole thing in one go... :think:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
davejones

Post by davejones »

It would be very interesting to see Chisto's set up! I'm away this weekend so i'll have to start NEXT weekend to see what route i want to ultimately go.

Frans, what do you call the kind of filter I am currently running (the one that sits uncovered in the engine bay)? You say it's the worst option as its drawing hot air. If I compare to previous free-flow filter in housing my egts are the same, or is there another reason you dont want the hot air? At the end of the day the filter is still a performance one so not good for dusty offroad use?

Where can I get a paper filter that will match the size of my CDA housing? I will also look at the back for space.

Thanks all for the posts!
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.

Post by Kagiso II »

Dave - you DONT want hot air in your combustion chamber .. it shoeld be as cold as possible [read 'cool', if you will]
That is the only reason Intercoolers are fitted to the [mainly] turbo vehicles - by N/A as well.
Connect your setup to a snorkel and that allone will increase the cars power a LOT [3% easy]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
davejones

Post by davejones »

Thanks Oompie

That's part of why I asked the question, as I have an intercooler that definitely gets cool air.

Is there any other disadvantage to having hot air in the combustion chamber other performance? The reason im asking is I'm still driving with that filter in the engine bay, but will move to other filter if I am harming the motor.

Thanks again
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.

Post by Kagiso II »

Eisjjjjjj - been a long time since, but lemme try: Hot air expands. The four main gasses in the atmosphere expand at different volumes, thus, oxygen [that's one the engine needs for the combustion, expands less than the others, and thus, the air you get in the chamber has less oxygen. Now, only part of the fuel combusts and leaves some behind. That causes a build-up [carbons, mainly] in the combustion chamber and on top of the piston's head. That follows that the valves has less clearance, the chamber "shrinks", the surface gets very rough - all this leads to poefies performance because of the restrictions in air flow and ultimately reduced engine life because some of the un-burnt fuel finds it's way around the piston & rings and "thins" your oil, decreasing [reducing] the lubricating ability of the oil.

[MAIN reason why a Diesel's oil has to be replaced more often than petrol engine .. this is how I have it - I may be very wrong on this last one]
Solution?
Gas flow heads; free-flow exhaust & branches; Intercooler & snorkel plus a computer piggy back to make the the thing "think" optimal for that specific engine and A LOT OF SELF DISCIPLINE and behave yourself on the loud pedal - THEN your engine will go way beyond 500 000Km

(long time since school, so better check the outoppi for correctness of above views... :oldtimer: :oldtimer: :surprised:
davejones

Post by davejones »

Thanks for that informative answer!

Makes sense to me, I should be getting the snorkel fitted soonish, by pure chance managed to find a template, hopefully it is kept for me!

When I fit the snorkel i re-fit the carbon airbox, just with a bigger free flow filter. I will then get a pre-filter for the top of the snorkel. This will be a temporary arrangement while i look for the best solution to fit a nice big paper airfilter.

Cedric / Russ / Christo do you mind posting pics of your sets ups please :pray:

Return to “09. Engines”