River trip 06-10 August 2022

Planning a get together (GTG), trip or competition?
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Re: River trip 06-10 August 2022

Post by Spike »

I'm retired from being "that guy" that tries to maintain decorum in situations where it is virtually impossible to maintain decorum, and I now stay away from large groups of 4x4's unless it is work related, so this subject is not my lane. Different strokes for different folks. :salute:
However, I'll chime in anyway. :oldtimer:
Any 4x4 gathering, from two vehicles and upwards, should have a drivers briefing at the start, and a smaller one each morning before setting off, to set the tone. It's just the done thing.
Even if it just takes one minute and only involves a couple of sentences, it should be a habit that ALWAYS takes place and doesn't have to be pedantic or regimental. No finger pointing. Just what is coming up on the day, comms plan maybe if you're that detailed, and what not to repeat from the previous day. Then everybody goes off happy and informed, and problems don't escalate. "Guys today we are heading west, everybody on channel XYZ, maintain convoy discipline so always keep the guy behind you in your mirror, and Pietie is going to be sweeper. Oh ja, and another thing, remember to bury you kak properly"
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

Maybe something else that Spike made me think of.

Especially with regard to the Rivertrip, we should appreciate that not all coming to the event drinks the same brand of tea.
Some like the sandy bits and wild camping experience only, and avoid the rocks at all costs, while others live for the hard stuff only.

Without too much red tape, there is certainly merit in
- volunteering someone to accompany the newbies, and the "agterosse"
- have more than one starting time (other than the "dou-voor-daggers", who like to wave everyone else good bye at 6:30am) :lol:

People do not have to fall in line, but let the volunteered person know if you wish to remain in their group for the day.
Including the group that prefers to exit the river at specific points - each to his own.
Some minimal organisation is necessary to help everyone have a good time.
Last edited by Alex Roux on 15 Aug 2022 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Some great input above! The River Trip looks like an epic trip. I prefer smaller groups (2-5 vehicles) and have been doing these with the same group of guys for the past 20 odd years, similar ethics so it makes things simpler, but we still have our morning chats, sometimes on the radio once we’ve started the trip. I could draw an analogy with the Bull Run. We started it with a few vehicles (same group of friends) and it escalated to the point where the numbers were capped and many rules and admin had to be introduced, and I subsequently I lost interest. Anyway, I guess the River Trip has got to that point too and hence this discussion.
Out of interest, how many people/vehicles partook this year and do you place a cap on the numbers?
Thank you for sharing the pics. The BONfire looked epic.
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

JohnBoyZA wrote: 15 Aug 2022 13:18 Some great input above! The River Trip looks like an epic trip. I prefer smaller groups (2-5 vehicles) and have been doing these with the same group of guys for the past 20 odd years, similar ethics so it makes things simpler, but we still have our morning chats, sometimes on the radio once we’ve started the trip. I could draw an analogy with the Bull Run. We started it with a few vehicles (same group of friends) and it escalated to the point where the numbers were capped and many rules and admin had to be introduced, and I subsequently I lost interest. Anyway, I guess the River Trip has got to that point too and hence this discussion.
Out of interest, how many people/vehicles partook this year and do you place a cap on the numbers?
Thank you for sharing the pics. The BONfire looked epic.
I think we were about 30 this year.
We have been as many as 50 pre-Covid.
But then even though there is a main fire, some prefer their own camp a 100 meters or two off the main setting.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST

Post by offroadbiker »

I am not there for 1 year and it turns into a shit show............. :doh:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)

Post by izakjbrt »

Well I enjoyed it. Was my favourite trip of the 3 that I've been on. Don't know about all the things that happened . I did get out of the river just after the first molototsi camp, but had a little electrical problem, and the dents that I picked up last year in the molototsi's rock garden last year, decided to get out. But met up again and that Monday evening was epic!
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

For me the beauty of the river trip has always been that the trip is so simple that we didn't really need to apply control.

The other great thing about it has always been that it is a great trip for people of any experience level.

Pretty much since you really can't get lost (once everyone is in the river) and so everyone can pretty much do as they please.

I really don't want to lose that aspect of the trip. It's what makes it fun for me. But it also seems to me that over the last few years we have had a larger percentage of relatively new people. New to the Patrol group and even new to 4x4ing.

It is clear that we have a couple of issues. Secondly this trip clearly appeals to people who haven't yet learnt what some of us have already forgotten.
And the trip is getting tougher as the sand is removed. Lastly I do think we have been getting somewhat lax.

I seem to recall that we used to (at least attempt) split the group into batches, each batch accompanied by a couple of reasonably experienced guys.
We also need to find a non-onerous way to make sure the last guys start driving at a reasonable time in the morning, so that they can also arrive at camp at a similarly reasonable hour.

Personally I am not sure how to make it easier for the newbies without taking all the fun out of it for the older hands.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Plamen.D
Full Name: Plamen Dimitrov
Nickname: Paul
Home Town: MODDERFONTEIN LETHABONG
Current 4x4: 2008 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Bulgarian

Post by Plamen.D »

JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Wow, lekka vid, thank you!
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

The beauty of the rivier trip is the people. We never had a issue ever .yes I leave with the last group and guide every one along but just becouse what I do . The molotosi is getting more technical but stil easy enough to do with standard patrol on 31 inch wheels .
Over many years we need to realize that diff people do things differently.
But never had we ever needed to tell anyone to behave or step in line . Always a pleasure camping with the patrol guys . Will do it again and again

Return to “29. Events”