Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Fatal tow-ball recovery failure

Post by Peter Connan »

I have a problem with raising the bonnet for a snatch recovery. I want to be able to see where I am going. A whole vehicle is a far more potent weapon than a snatch strap or a shackle.

Personally my preferred safety measure in a snatch recovery is a lanyard on each end ( for those that don't know, this is a shortish strap tied to the end of the snatch rope, the other end of the strap is attached to a second (or third) recovery point on the vehicle).
In my opininion, as long as the speed is kept reasonable, a lanyard should be able to prevent almost 100% of accidents, but if anyone knows this assumption to be incorrect I would be glad to hear the reason.

The only one I can think of is if the rope/strap breaks in the middle, but at least there would be no metal bits flying about. Having said that, i have seen a strap knock a dent in a Patrol's rear door (Michael's, while towing Dirk in Botswana).
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

I have a very decent pull strap that's helped a few stuck folk become unstuck in its life, but I do not own a snatch strap for all the reasons mentioned before.

If someone is so badly stuck that they require a snatch recovery (and by that I mean they've progressed through tow strap, tow strap & digging, and finally winching after digging a LOT more), I tend to just walk away.

Yes I'm a sissy, but I was there that day when an innocent bystander's knee got wrecked for life at a Rust de Winter Jamboree due to an over-eager recovery. And lots of blood, broken bones, etc. tend to stay with you much longer than all the perfect snatch recoveries.
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

One other thing I want to add:

Watching the professionals (Matt and Casey), they tend to do lots of fairly mild yanks, rather than trying to get the job done with one almighty one.
I suspect, if your rope can handle that, it is a very good policy.
But it is my understanding that this is not the correct approach with a strap (as opposed to a rope) as the straps need time to "recover" after stretching.
I am not sure whether this is true or false though? Anybody know (and know why they should be different)?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Yea Peter, remember this topic being discussed ad nauseum on Community4x4 a few years ago. See Ronny's vid near the end.
I normally try one easy pull first with the snatch. Don't think it's an exact science.
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

JohnBoyZA wrote: 01 Aug 2022 12:06 Agreed Ian, however in AD or any other environment with soft sand where you have little traction it's sometimes the 'only' option.
Came across this pic to explain the setting I was talking about. Actually only needed a light pull/snatch...
Attachments
John_Wittes (Large).JPG
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)

Return to “26. Techniques”