Y60 Petrol Patrol Settings

Engines and Engine Systems
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: Y60 Petrol Patrol Settings

Post by tour de frans »

Hello Peter
Pull nr one spark plug. Carefully with a long thin clean roundbar or a screwdriver,feel the piston.Turn the engine by hand.Before you try with the screwdriver you should see the piston through the plug hole.Turn the engine and see the piston in the upward position.When close to the top.try to see the timeing marks,if so line them up.Then use the screwdriver and keep you one hand on it and rock the engine forward and back with your other hand.Try to make the piston stay still between rock's.Then look at the timeing marks.They should line up,if not.The mark can be off by 2 or 3 mm.That will not make a diffirance.If way off, your mark are out,or the crank pully moved.In the patrol's case the rubber damper on the pully can move,and that is were the timeing mark sit's.Most mackies make that mistake to beleave the marks.So it is always good to test the mark.
The timeing I quote are for most petrol engin's,at least the one's you can tune.
Go with the timeing I said.Please listen for pinking.(timeing to fast.)
A little tip for big petrol engine's like a 4.2.Set your timeing and after that rev the engine with all vacuum hose connected @ 3000 rpm or a little higer.Watch the motor,if it are still,your timeing are spot on.If the motor are ,if I can call it, vibrate-running with a shake,the timeing are to fast.
Cheers :thumbup:
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Thanks Frans
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Rudolph I serviced my car this weekend. The BPR6ES plugs I removed definately seem to be too cold for my car under the conditions of service I put it through. The plugs were noticeably fouled and this is the first time I have seen this on my car.

Cold start this morning was also much better, and I made no other changes to the engine tuning, as the timing was still spot-on, and since I am now running Ignitor electronic ignition, I don't have to fiddle with dwell angle. Although I also replaced air filter and fuel filter, they did not seem particularly dirty. It does seem as though the snorkel has made a substantial difference to the amount of dust collected by the filter.

On a side note, Gerrit's recomended Castrol BOT130M gearbox oil makes a huge difference to shift quality. :thumbup:

Thanks Gerrit :salute:
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)

Post by Rudolph »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback on the service. Have you replaced the plugs now with BP5ES and what did you set the gaps at? To change the points ignition with the Ignitor elect ignition like you did, is it a big job or a straight bolt on type of change? I'm also starting to think this way where did you get the elect ignition?

I like the Catrol products so will definately use the gearbox oil recommended by Gerrit on the next oil change on the gearbox.

Cheers
Rudolph
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Rudolph

Yes, I have now fitted BP5ES. I had to ride around some to find them though, and the BOT130M also seems to ba a bit scarce.

Also,I have not noticed any interferance issues with the non-resistor plugs, but I don't know whether it will affect a two-way radio.

The Ignitor came from Bruce aty Offshore Marine in the Cape. omiintl@mweb.co.za 082 491 8536 of 021 786 1007. The part number for my car is Ignitor #_1762LSCC, and it cost around R1 000.00
It took me about an hour to install. You will probably need a bit of twin flex and a soldering iron as the wires on the unit are a bit short, and a bit of Cabtire and a few cable ties to keep everything happy.

When you fit it, take note that there is a little earth wire fitted between the moving plate in the dizzy on which the points are mounted and the side of the dizzy casting. This must be left in place. If you want you should also be able to change back in half an hour or so.
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)

Post by Rudolph »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. When you installed the ignitor did you also replace the ignition coil or are you still running the original?

Cheers
Rudolph
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Rudolph I am not sure whether my coil is the original, but it is the one I got the car with. However I have bridged out the resistor which is mounted on the fender near where the coil is mounted. It was missing and generally behaving badly with it installed.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 4.2 GQ (TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Would having bp6es plugs installed (vs bp5es) have any impact on fuel economy?
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

I did not notice a significant difference.

Return to “09. Engines”