Full Name: Jaco Roos
Nickname: Speedy
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: Isuzu Mu-X
Nissan Patrol Y61 2002 Lexus 4.3 V8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Speedy se toer trokkie

Post by Jaco Speedy Roos »

Anther thing that has been playing inside my mind way before I even bought this patrol, was that a lot of people would add the 4 bar polo filter on the lexus 3uz while the OEM pressure is 3.2 bar. Immediately when I had the vehicle, I could smell the engine had a slight overfuel as she was running a bit rich. Not that a petrol engine minds running a bit rich, but my fuel consumption can do with a bit of a reduction! So for the sake of testing my theory, I went and bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and installed it over the weekend to see if it would make any difference at all.

I thought, screw it, Im not going to be dropping it every tank by a few increments, lets go straight to the minimum, which in my mind is 3 bar and test it out on my next trip. Now, Ive had a few drives with the patrol since Ive installed it and the great thing about this test is that I can literally change that pressure with a small turn of an allen key! My first observation is that the engine is a lot quiter on idle, even though it was already quiet before this test for a V8. Then, something that was also very noticeable was that on full throttle the gear changes were a lot smoother. Not that it was rough before the test, but now you cant even tell its shifting, you just hear the engine revs drop. I have also managed to eliminate the over fueling smell of rich exhaust gasses on idle. Something that everyone noted was the change in exhaust sound was also slightly softer and more crisp. I can also confirm a slight drop in top end power, but almost unnoticeable
Mad Manny
Full Name: Manny De Freitas
Nickname: Mad Manny
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Fortuner
Home Language: English

Post by Mad Manny »

Awesome stuff Jaco. Very interesting....
Forest
Full Name: Neil Crause
Nickname: Forest
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i (sold)
Home Language: English

Post by Forest »

Good write up Jaco. Thank you for sharing.

I noted you mentioned using quick disconnects on swaybars. What product are you using?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaco Speedy Roos

So some feedback again

We went to the annual Mynmanne fishing comp and I decided its time for the Patrols first long trip since we were heading with two vehicles and we were all men meaning less stress if things were to go wrong. The Patrol was loaded with two 90L fridges fully packed with fish baits and food and then on top of that we had the luggage and the battery system inside and on top of the vehicle I fitted the load bars with the 8 fishing rods. So the 3 of us headed down and I thought, you know what, lets kick this horse in the ribs and see how she behaves!

Now before I headed down to Sodwana, the only trip as fuel reference with the 35s were to de Wildt and we were feathering the throttle and got 22L/100km going around 100-110km/h and this was still with the 4 bar fuel pressure. I only filled up at Pongola and we werent playing games and with the fuel pressure set to 3.2 bar, we managed 24L/100km. I think its safe to say the consumption should be a bit lighter under normal circumstances and once the gear shifting is sorted, then I should be able to drive even better with the revs where it should be.
Jaco Speedy Roos

Forest wrote: 10 Mar 2022 10:29 Good write up Jaco. Thank you for sharing.

I noted you mentioned using quick disconnects on swaybars. What product are you using?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am yet to decided on a disconnect kit
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 28 Oct 2021 10:37 The conversion is finely coming to an end and I am quite pleased with the work. The small things are taking a bit long since some things need to be fabricated and testes to ensure everything works great. The ECU box still needs to be sorted and the rev gauge, but everything else is now sorted. I really like this OEM look and everything being used such as the air filter, Im definitely not a fan of a cone filter. Last stretch, then she's coming home and I get to start adding her new toys! I added a small video link that they made while working

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSe2VS64r/IMG-20211027-WA0038.jpg

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
hoeveel het hierdie conversion jou toe gekos?
Doen Chris Mod net Lexus conversions?
Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 31 Oct 2021 14:55 After the lift kit has been fitted
FL 950
FR 950
RR 965
RL 965 20211031_145113.jpg

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Watse lift kit is hierdie?
Jaco Speedy Roos wrote: 10 Feb 2022 07:09 My new tires arrived! I decided to go with the Vitour Explorer MT as it has a nice aggressive thread and since Toer Trokkie will mostly be used for adventures, I didnt want to go with an AT. Unfortunately the options on wheels are very limited out there and I was left with choosing Dynamic steel rims with a -25 offset20220208_131908.jpg20220208_123318.jpg20220208_115458.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Wie verkoop hierdie bande?
Wat prys hulle?
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Jaco Speedy Roos

Yes SJC

Lift is n OME suspension wat ek ingesit het as n tydelike suspension totdat ek gekry het wat ek gesoek het.

Ek het nou Tough Dog coils(bullbar rared coor, 300kg constant agter) ingesit en shocks is DCS suspensions wat baie adjustable is en bitter goed geprys is. Dis n reservoir shock en is goedkoper as die invoer mono shocks soos Terrain Tamer, OME en Ironman en perform ook baie beter.

Conversion is deur Chris Mod gedoen, hulle doen nie net lexus nie, hulle doen maar enigiets, maar hul werk was baie goed en goed geprys.

Bande is Vitour bande en eks bitter gelukkig met dit. Jy kan vir Nazier kontak op 0832369604 as jy soek

Oraait, so die lexus was n tydelike oplossing en ek gaan binnekort n diesel engine insit wat die eintlike plan was vir toer.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Watse diesel engin gaan jy insit?