Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Me and bad habits!

Post by Tinus lotz »

Piet jou pomp is mos agter op jou alternator?
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Piet, het jy 'n oil cooler??
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Peter, welcome to the diesel family brother, those TD42 motors are not fast, bud damn they have big "kahunas". That Rigel road hill is a beast in any car, and to tow a weighted trailer and still maintain 110km/h is pretty damn good to say the least. Frans once said to me that he used to boost his TD42 at 1 bar and push long up a hill holding 600 degC without worries. I think that as long as you have air forced in you are ok.

The braking is a wierd one. I've never had that experience on mine. I wonder if having the vacuum pump behind the alternator is absorbing too much heat, of if it is just old. I would try make a shield between the exhaust mani and turbo and the alternator. I made one out of some stainless ( I think it was 0.5mm ) sheet between the exhaust and turbo to deflect heat away from the top mount IC. No clue if it helps or not, but it's there anyway...haha
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Tinus lotz wrote: 17 Nov 2020 07:58 Piet jou pomp is mos agter op jou alternator?
Korrek ja.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

hugejp wrote: 17 Nov 2020 08:46 Piet, het jy 'n oil cooler??
Nie op die oomblik nie. Dit is een van die opsies om die temperature te verbeter, maar ek sal verkies om nie oil coolers te gebruik nie. Ek glo daar is niks wat 'n enjin vinniger gaan verwoes as 'n oliepyp wat afklim of deurskuur nie. Maar dit is 'n opsie.
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

ricster wrote: 17 Nov 2020 08:55 Peter, welcome to the diesel family brother, those TD42 motors are not fast, bud damn they have big "kahunas". That Rigel road hill is a beast in any car, and to tow a weighted trailer and still maintain 110km/h is pretty damn good to say the least. Frans once said to me that he used to boost his TD42 at 1 bar and push long up a hill holding 600 degC without worries. I think that as long as you have air forced in you are ok.

The braking is a wierd one. I've never had that experience on mine. I wonder if having the vacuum pump behind the alternator is absorbing too much heat, of if it is just old. I would try make a shield between the exhaust mani and turbo and the alternator. I made one out of some stainless ( I think it was 0.5mm ) sheet between the exhaust and turbo to deflect heat away from the top mount IC. No clue if it helps or not, but it's there anyway...haha
I think the vacuum pump might be a bit old. It was the one fitted to the engine in the donor vehicle, so is quite possibly 24 years and over 400k km old. It also leaks a bit of oil...

As for fitting a heat shield, that would be one hell of a fab job. Keep in mind that, because I have a front-mount intercooler, the hot turbo outlet pipe also runs right past the alternator.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

it would be a fab job.... fabulous job, with lots of spanner rash....haha
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Peter Connan wrote: 17 Nov 2020 13:51
hugejp wrote: 17 Nov 2020 08:46 Piet, het jy 'n oil cooler??
Nie op die oomblik nie. Dit is een van die opsies om die temperature te verbeter, maar ek sal verkies om nie oil coolers te gebruik nie. Ek glo daar is niks wat 'n enjin vinniger gaan verwoes as 'n oliepyp wat afklim of deurskuur nie. Maar dit is 'n opsie.
Braided steel hose with crimped on ends...... Does no come off or chafe through....
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Peter, I think your temps are well within spec and the 102deg peak is not bad at all considering how hot it was and how heavy you were towing.

Maybe check if your vacuum hose is not going flat from the heat and vacuum. I have seen this many times when regular rubber hose is used instead of proper vavuum hose.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

So on Wednesday 29 December I was trying to fit new body mounts. The first four mounts on each side came loose pretty easily (although of course it is quite a job to get to them) but the rear two had the nuts just turning in their little sheet-metal pockets.

I thought about renting an impact wrench but at the relative cost decided to just buy a pneumatic one. But that didn't work either.

While racking my brain about how to get them loose, an old friend phoned me. "Hoe gaan dit?" "Nee goed dankie en daar?" "Nee nie goed nie. Ek staan langs die pad naby Ventersdorp. Crank pulley het afgeval." He tried to hire a car and get a flatbed, but on the 29th of December it just didn't want to work.

So I re-installed everything, hired a trailer and and went and collected four people, a dog, a bird and a Hyundai Terracan. Arrived back at around 19h20. The next day we set about fixing the car. Machined a new crank bolt and a special spanner to hold the pulley while tightening it, removed and replaced the seloc pin that prevents the pulley from rotating, re-tapped the hole for the crank bolt, unsuccesfully searched for a new idler pulley and fan, re-machined the idler pulley which had been badly smashed in several places and re-assembled everything. Before re-fitting the radiator we succesfully started the car and ran it for about 3 seconds. But after re-installing the radiator it just would not start again. We checked the cam timing but that was fine and came to the conclusion that the crank sensor must have been damaged. Beyond our ability and expertise.

So on the 31st we hired the trailer again and I took them all back home to Nelspruit. This is unquestionably the hardest my car has ever worked for a sustained period. On 3 hills I was down to 3rd gear, once dropping down to about 60. The bad news is, I had to back off several times to keep the temps in check. The better news is that all the temps reach my limits at very nearly the same time. On two occasions I had EGT, water and oil temp warnings within half a minute of each other.

The good news is that with both of the two petrol engines, I would have been in third gear on those very same hills, foot flat to the floor and watching the water temps rise inexorably and that without 2.7 tonnes hitched to the towbar.

So in all, I am still extremely happy while realising that there is, theoretically at least still room for improvement. The question is whether the resulting complication is worth chasing considering how seldom I need to work it that hard.

On the way back, with just the trailer and in heavy rain most of the way, I only dropped below 100 4 times, twice because I was stuck behind trucks and unable to see whether it was clear to pull out due to the trailer's construction and the spray, and twice because the rain was so heavy I couldn't see where I was going. In the rain the water temp never went over 82, proving that spraying water on the radiator is an extremely effective way to cool an engine.

:rolling:

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”