Nickname: D.
Home Town: I dont know, name keeps changing...Eastern Cape
Current 4x4: TB45
(Wife's TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Autohubs locked while in 2H?

Post by Witbobbejaan »

Hi All,

I'm not too clued up on the GU drivetrain. What happens coming out of 4wd if you move the gear selector from 4H to 2H, but autohubs does not disengage? For example if you don't reverse enough for the "click", after selecting 2H, but then continue driving forward. I assume 4wd disengages but the hubs remain locked? Can this cause damage?

Thanks!
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Re: Autohubs locked while in 2H?

Post by Spike »

Nothing will happen to the Patrol if you drive in 2H with the hubs locked. Some people say you will use more fuel but I haven't noticed a significant difference. The Patrol is so heavy I don't think it notices :lol:

The auto-locking mechanism can be problematic and on my "platkar" patrol I have removed the auto mechanism (still using the OEM hub but with just the auto bit removed) so when it is in locked mode it is locked and when it is in auto mode it is freewheeling not auto. I drive with it in locked mode in 2H on tar quite a lot and it is not a problem.

My patrols at work (Moz, Tanzania etc) are set in locked mode permanently, never been set to auto since I got them. No ill effects. Come to think of it I must remove all those auto mechanisms on them when I get the chance.

True confession, after years of patrol use at work I didn't even know there was an auto setting on the hubs, I just assumed they were locked/unlocked like normal hubs, until I bought my platkar patrol for use at home and the had a problem with the hubs and discovered the auto feature.

When the auto mechanism starts messing around it disengages randomly when 4x4ing in both locked and auto modes, and engages randomly when not 4x4ing in auto mode. You hear a loud clicking like a damaged CV joint sort of noise. So after servicing it a few times they still messed around intermittently so I just removed the auto mechanism and haven't had a problem since
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Spike

Post by Spike »

Take this thing out (as per the photo). Put everything else back how it was.
Attachments
IMG-20191208-WA0034.jpg
IMG-20191208-WA0034.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
IMG-20191016-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20191016-WA0003.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
Sardonic Fattist

Dungbeetle
Full Name: Rudolf
Nickname: Dungbeetle
Home Town: Ellisras
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.2GL Wagon old and wise at 880 000 km
2014 Patrol 3.0GL CRD reaching puberty at 150 000 km
Home Language: Afr

Post by Dungbeetle »

This the thing....if the hubs are free, they do lots of work....by its inner parts rotating versus each other. When they are locked, they do absolutely nothing....then the diff takes over the work plus associated wear. So permanently locked hubs will last forever. But I would rather repair hubs than diffs......also, not so sure the transfer case seal gets proper lube when the diff and shaft rotates and the transfer case internals are stationary
2000 Patrol GL 4.2D - Still strong just short of 900 THOUSAND KILOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEETERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS - Daily Tractor
2014 CRD at 170k km - Sunday Tractor
2012 NP300 DC - platkar
Spike

Post by Spike »

Correct. And when freewheeling that little bearing in the outer end of the hub is spinning permanently. It must generate a lot of heat
Sardonic Fattist

Witbobbejaan
Full Name: Dion
Nickname: D.
Home Town: I dont know, name keeps changing...Eastern Cape
Current 4x4: TB45
(Wife's TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Witbobbejaan »

Spike wrote: 17 Dec 2021 06:28 Nothing will happen to the Patrol if you drive in 2H with the hubs locked. Some people say you will use more fuel but I haven't noticed a significant difference. The Patrol is so heavy I don't think it notices :lol:

The auto-locking mechanism can be problematic and on my "platkar" patrol I have removed the auto mechanism (still using the OEM hub but with just the auto bit removed) so when it is in locked mode it is locked and when it is in auto mode it is freewheeling not auto. I drive with it in locked mode in 2H on tar quite a lot and it is not a problem.

My patrols at work (Moz, Tanzania etc) are set in locked mode permanently, never been set to auto since I got them. No ill effects. Come to think of it I must remove all those auto mechanisms on them when I get the chance.

True confession, after years of patrol use at work I didn't even know there was an auto setting on the hubs, I just assumed they were locked/unlocked like normal hubs, until I bought my platkar patrol for use at home and the had a problem with the hubs and discovered the auto feature.

When the auto mechanism starts messing around it disengages randomly when 4x4ing in both locked and auto modes, and engages randomly when not 4x4ing in auto mode. You hear a loud clicking like a damaged CV joint sort of noise. So after servicing it a few times they still messed around intermittently so I just removed the auto mechanism and haven't had a problem since
Thanks a ton for the details and photos below :salute: I might remove the thingy.

After reading some old posts on the autohubs, I assume mine is starting to act up. My 4wd dash light went off after going to 2H and reversing to disengage autohubs (but there was no click). I drove forward and immediately there was a click. I assumed autohubs had unlocked then. After driving several hundred meters probably at 60 or 80 kmph, I heard that shite sound. I think someone discribed it as a card stuck into a bicycle wheel. Only much worse like a screwdriver dragged over a moving chain. Sounded like passenger side. I stopped, thinking that the hubs maybe had not unlocked fully, reversed, and heard a click. Then continued on with no sound.

I drive our GQ locked hubs in 2H all time.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

You can always replace them with manual locking hubs.. :oldtimer:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL