48. GRX confusing misfire

Can't find a category above, then post here
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

48. GRX confusing misfire

Post by Spike »

I have no idea where to put this thread because the fault could be in any category so Mr Moderator please help out...

I have a confusing misfire. Even more confusing because as I've gone along with fault finding the misfire has decreased in severity.

The morning after having filled up both tanks I went off in the car and after about 1-2km I got a bad misfire.
There is no Check Engine light and no fault codes

Because of having just filled up I suspected dirty fuel. So I changed the fuel filter, drained and flushed the tanks. Still misfire.
Replaced the fuel pump. Still misfire
I did the PCV valve and checked all vacuum lines. Still a misfire
I fixed a crack in the inlet duct just next to the clamp at the inlet manifold. Still misfire.
Disconnect battery to re-set the ECU. Still misfire
Cleaned the MAF sensor. Still misfire

The misfire is not immediate, it comes in after a couple of minutes.
It seems to be less severe than previously (or I could just be getting accustomed to it or haven't driven as far during my test drives)
There are patches here and there in the rev range when it revs clean.

Any suggestions where to look next?

When I open the fuel filler caps there is pressure or vacuum being released. Is that normal for the patrol or could I have a breather blockage somewhere perhaps?
Last edited by Spike on 18 Nov 2021 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 48. GRX confusing misfire

Post by Peter Connan »

There should not be pressure or vacuum in the tanks.

However, in my opinion a misfire is unlikely to be caused by anything in the fuel system. Fuel system issues would lead to either starvation or running rich.

Misfires are most likely a symptom of an ignition system problem. I would be looking at plugs, plug leads, coils and that kind of thing.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Francois Theron
Full Name: Francois Theron
Nickname: Francois
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GL

Post by Francois Theron »

I would go with Peter's suggestion. Maybe spark plugs first. If you pull off the plug leads one by one can you isolate a cylinder? Or I guess disconnect the coil packs rather!
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Pieter B »

Have you washed your engine recently? I picked up a misfire about 2 weeks after I washed the engine. Water got into 2 of the plugs and caused a misfire.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

spike sometimes when you stand in a dark garrage at night you can see the spark problem
Tomc
Full Name: Thomas Cumming
Nickname: Tom
Home Town: George
Current 4x4: Y61 GRX 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Tomc »

New member, experiencing same problem. Did a trip from Cape to Kunene, on way back intermittent misfire started in Windhoek, first started as an intermittent miss while idling with some loss of power when accelerating. Windhoek Nissan could not find any fault code. Took the chance and drove back to SA, miss cleared at Rehoboth, no problem until back in George where problem started again. Changed all plugs, problem still present. Nissan George could also not find a fault code. Logic dictates next step is finding a coil fault, other possibilities O2 sensor, vacuum leak, injector etc. I do not want to throw parts at the problem, saw a video on you tube, Diagnose Dan in Netherlands. He has the test equipment to immediately isolate the problem.

Does any member know if there is someone in the garden route area that has electronic diagnostic equipment?
Francois Theron
Full Name: Francois Theron
Nickname: Francois
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GL

Post by Francois Theron »

Tomc wrote: 23 Nov 2021 14:03 New member, experiencing same problem. Did a trip from Cape to Kunene, on way back intermittent misfire started in Windhoek, first started as an intermittent miss while idling with some loss of power when accelerating. Windhoek Nissan could not find any fault code. Took the chance and drove back to SA, miss cleared at Rehoboth, no problem until back in George where problem started again. Changed all plugs, problem still present. Nissan George could also not find a fault code. Logic dictates next step is finding a coil fault, other possibilities O2 sensor, vacuum leak, injector etc. I do not want to throw parts at the problem, saw a video on you tube, Diagnose Dan in Netherlands. He has the test equipment to immediately isolate the problem.

Does any member know if there is someone in the garden route area that has electronic diagnostic equipment?
I would try Dr Quincy in George Industrial.
Tomc

Post by Tomc »

Thanks, tried him, he unfortunately does not have an ignition analyser. He installed the latest Unichip in the Patrol 5 months ago, dropped my consumption from 24l/100 to 17.2l/100
Tomc

Post by Tomc »

Took Patrol to Nispro in George this morning, his diagnostic tool detected coils breaking up on cylinders 2 and 4. Vehicle approaching 200000km, this is apparently when you can expect coil problems.
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Post by Spike »

Reporting back to close off the thread

The short answer....I fixed the misfire problem but I rectified so many things that I can't put my finger on which specifically caused the actual misfire fault.

When I bought the patrol I took a calculated risk knowing it had some potentially dodgy aspects, and shortly thereafter I also discovered that it had been submerged at some stage, but working on it now I discovered some serious backyard mechanic botched jobs. So it was kinda good luck that I had this persistent misfire because it got me off my ass to start getting involved mechanically and thus able to discover "hidden" issues and get them sorted

"And thanks again Tinus for always being keen to help)
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”