Patrols for Sale - Various sites

IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Re: Patrols for Sale - Various sites

Post by IanT »

Deon, I totaly disagree price wise have you ever turbo charged a patrol? You are looking in the rejoin of R80-90K, for that conversion. So if you look at it that way you are paying R50k for that patrol. The other thing is the the GQ's are on on their way up price wise and are fetching R100k these days, without a turbo motor. I think Jade got a bargin
bruce_k
Full Name: Bruce Killerby
Nickname: Killa
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 3.0 Di to TD42T swapped GL

Post by bruce_k »

Very nice GQ that is. I would pay R130k TD42T GQ in that condition

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Every dog has his day!
2006 Patrol 3.0 Di to TD42T swapped GL

Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
DeonJ
Full Name: Deon Jordaan
Nickname: Deon Jordaan
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by DeonJ »

IanT wrote: 29 Jan 2021 09:19 Deon, I totaly disagree price wise have you ever turbo charged a patrol? You are looking in the rejoin of R80-90K, for that conversion. So if you look at it that way you are paying R50k for that patrol. The other thing is the the GQ's are on on their way up price wise and are fetching R100k these days, without a turbo motor. I think Jade got a bargin
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your comments.

I have never turbo-charged a Patrol, but I have done some homework. Let me clarify my original comment, specifically the bits where I said "I'd prefer a non-turbo and when the donkey-like-pace wears me down, have a turbo installed by someone I trust" and "And the price is a bit rich"

1. I'd rather find one without a turbo, even though they are like hens-teeth.
2. I'm weary of a turbo installed by someone I don't know and in this case, the seller couldn't provide any information.
3. I, personally, would rather find a non-turbo car for the R100k you mentioned and sometime in the future spend R80-90k putting a turbo on it than spending R130k on a potentially dodgy turbo.

And just to clarify the 'dodgy'-comment for the keyboard warriors, I do not mean this car was/is dodgy, I mean any random, unknown car with no history that appears in the classifieds.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Luckily unlike many forums, the Patrol Forum doesn't have keyboard warriors, but sometimes comments get typed and read differently to what was intended, so yeah, all is said (typed) in good spirit.

I agree with you regarding way you want to go about this Patrol mission. I was thinking exactly the same when I bought mine many years back now. I think what many here were thinking and then saying, myself included, was that both ways will be good ways, but one way will cost more than the other, which is 100% your call. These motors are incredible and tough, and a pounding they can take :biggrin:

When I bought mine, I have the unfortunate happen to me. Not due to the aftermarket turbo that was fitted to mine, but a dripping injector, I burnt a hole through my No 2 piston in Botswana, 550Km from home. I still drove it home with the hole in the piston. This is not meant to scare you off of these incredible machines, but to say, hey sheeet can happen to any motor. I still have that same aftermarket turbo un-serviced since before i bought it, with no hassles.

So I believe the guys here were simply saying that it may (or may not....haha) be worthwhile looking at both options. Whatever you decide, your Patrol family will always be here with loads of advice and sometimes stupid comments ( those are often from me.. :rolling: )

So now go get any Patrol and enjoy that beasts unique beauty !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Deon, I guess we all read that and added "for what it is" in our own minds.

I full6 understand the hesitation of buying a converted vehicle of unknown heritage, and especially the TD42, which we all know needs to be kept reasonably happy with respect to temperatures and which (in a Y60 body especially) is easy to overheat.

However, even if you manage to find a NA TD42 in reasonable condition, it is worth keeping in mind that these cars are all now 23+ years old, and it would be a pretty good idea to expect to have to re-build that motor before doing that turbo conversion.

So if you know for a fact that you have the patience to keep it NA, by all means wait for it.
But if you expect to go turbo in the future, I think it might be worth looking at pre-modified examples.
If it has been neglected, the signs should be there, and I suspect a re-build is at least as expensive as the other bits that go into doing a turbo conversion, and there won't be much difference in purchase price either.

So if it ĺooks like a good conversion using quality parts, it has a madman or at least an EGT gauge fitted and the cooling system looks good (also no oil in the water, water in the oil etc.) It might be worth looking at.

It might also be worth asking Michael and Frans if one of them knows the car.
If either of them did the conversion, you will know it was done right.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Damn...

Were is the price of these GQ's going?

R130k with no extras, think I will hang on to mine for a long time to come...
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

A 'Johan' advertised a GQ diesel some 3 or4 years ago. It was a conversion, the engine was off a fork lift or truck, it was not a good conversion.
This GQ looks a lot like that one. Except for the rims
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
JTEC
Full Name: Jade Dafel
Nickname: JTEC
Home Town: Somerset West
Current 4x4: 94 GQ Patrol TD42

Post by JTEC »

Kagiso II wrote: 08 Feb 2021 21:16 A 'Johan' advertised a GQ diesel some 3 or4 years ago. It was a conversion, the engine was off a fork lift or truck, it was not a good conversion.
This GQ looks a lot like that one. Except for the rims
Hi Oom

This GQ is a Euro import with MPH odometer and rear difflock. The VIN number also checks out as on original factory TD42 :thumbup:
GQ Patrol TD42
ex GU Patrol TB48
Bokdrol Adventures
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Can't be a Euro import if it is in miles an hour, the whole of Europe standardised on the metric system in the 60s and 70s.

If it is in miles an hour, it has to be a British import, like mine was. Somebody who lived there for 10 years to work, came bact to SA and brought it back with him. It was a 4.2i SGX, i.e. Injected with 3 speed auto box with overdrive

To solve the issue from miles to KMs, I bought a speedo cluster from Dawid Volschenk.

Return to “36. Vehicles For Sale/Swap”