My rear shocks (https://www.robsmagic.com/) have started to leak oil and need to be replaced. If I deflate the airbags in the rear to 1bar, then the Troll sags in the rear when unloaded. At the front I'm running OME including the steering damper. The previous owner had to replace the OME in the rear when it failed on a trip through Kenya, hence the different kit. The shocks are setup for a 2" lift, but the coils were replaced with slightly taller coils so I'm probably running between a 2" and 3" lift. Anyway as you can read I've currently got a real mix of components included in my suspension setup, so a change to a more intentional setup is a good thing.
I'm running 35" Maxxis Razr's with 30mm spacers and I'm getting a bit of rubbing in the rear wheel arch on full flex.
I'm planning on getting all the parts during January 2021 and February 2021 and then hopefully complete the installation in March 2021,
What have I found out about doing the upgrade:
- I'm leaning towards Bilstein as I have read and heard that they have a good reputation in SA and can build a 3" setup that is serviceable. Their pricing is also good from what I've been told.
- Rear bumps stops from the LC 80 series will bolt right in and prevent the rear tires rubbing against the body
- I'm going install drop boxes supplied by Peter Connan and remove the existing caster correction kit and go back to OEM bushes on the radius arm
- I believe that there are some measurements required to have the shock custom built and these measurements I believe are taken from the vehicle under full flex and full compression. How does one go about getting the correct measurements and what are the points of reference on the vehicle (front and back)?
- Adjustable panhard rods come highly recommended. Which make is best and where do I order it from?
- Adjustable sway bar links come highly recommended. Which make is best and where do I order it from?
- Where is the best place to source 80 series bump stops or is there another alternative for the Patrols that should be considered
- My rig is pretty heavy and probably runs close to 3T and then I also tow a 1.3T Conqueror Trailer from time-to-time. What is the best spring type to install and do I do the same back and front?
- My existing airbags work well on the current lift. Is it OK to just use spacers to make them work for the 3" lift?
- Does anything need to be done about the brake bias bracket since the vehicle will be "taller" than OEM spec and the geometry of the bracket will no longer match the vehicle?
- Are there any other suspension related bushes, components, etc that should be inspected and replaced?