Full Name: Lawrence
Nickname: Sweetlips
Home Town: Paarl
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Winch service

Post by Sweetlips »

Gents

So when i got my Patrol a year ago it had a winch fitted. Never had the need to use it as yet but played around with it a few weeks ago and found it to be a bit noisy/squeaky.

To be honest im not sure if its supposed to sound like that or if it is need of a service. If the latter, how complicated is it to service a winch or is it best to have someone service it.

Again who would you suggest in the Cpt region.
Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!!!
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero

Re: Winch service

Post by Rhett »

Sweetlips wrote: 10 Sep 2020 10:54 Gents

So when i got my Patrol a year ago it had a winch fitted. Never had the need to use it as yet but played around with it a few weeks ago and found it to be a bit noisy/squeaky.

To be honest im not sure if its supposed to sound like that or if it is need of a service. If the latter, how complicated is it to service a winch or is it best to have someone service it.

Again who would you suggest in the Cpt region.
What winch is it?
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

I don't have much experience with winches but that which I do have indicates that they are noisy but I have never noticed one squeek before. I suspect it does need a service.

I have read a number of posts stating that it's not very complicated, but have never done one myself.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero

Post by Rhett »

I've stripped one before, a few years ago. It's not too bad but I literally took a photo or video of every step in disassembly. Was a very dirty job, but not too technical. I never ended up putting it back together though as the components had been subjected to a lot of water and parts were corroded and pitted. Plus the cable needed replacement. Have you tried doing a google search on a manual for it? Might be lucky...
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Winch Service easy to do yourself.

Very simple in design.
But, your biggest hurdle will be availability and supply of service kits/parts.

If it's a WARN winch, you in big kak. Expect long waits for parts, 3 months or more sometimes. Warn SA is pathetic. will sell you a Flagship model , being the rolls royce of winches, but then leave you with absolutely no after sales service. in fact you cant even speak to someone, you have to go 3rd party.

If you running Runva / Come up/ etc, you have a better chance at available spares or full part replacement.

If you running TJM, Ironman, it will more than likely be better after sales than warn , but still doubt they carry inventory in SA.

My suggestion would always be to order your standard service kits first, wait for them to arrive, then strip down and service. Its doubtful you'll find something abnormal outside of the service kit parts.

The need grease in the right places, and no grease in other places. Some people go mal with the grease and then freespool is a nightmare.

Give it a go. Youtube will. help you through. Plenty videos of each winch type to follow. No need to stress.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”