Full Name: Hugh Kirby
Nickname: Hugh
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: 2014 Nissan Patrol GRX 4800
Home Language: English

Leaking Differential Nut

Post by Kirbster »

Hey Guys

I regularly check the drivetrain of the Troll to look for oil leaks etc.

I noticed that my front diff is leaking oil from at least one of the nuts. I checked the nut and it felt a bit loose so I tightened it up and then dried the area to see if the leak had been resolved, but as you can see the oil is still leaking.

What is the probable cause of such a leak and how is the problem resolved? I normally take the Troll to Mayfair in Brackenfell Caoe Town to fix drivetrain issues, but before I do that I would like to know if I can fix it myself.

Cheers
H
Attachments
20200616_172407.jpg
20200616_172407.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 3462 times
- Previous 4x4: 2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 dCI AT. ARB Suspension and ARB Rear Locker.
- Currently Towing: 2017 Conqueror Comfort Trailer with factory mounted bush awning.
- YouTube: "Simple Life Overlanding"
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Leaking Differential Nut

Post by ricster »

Hmmm... Not sure why it's still leaking. Maybe the gasket is a bit tired and even tightening it up is not enough to seal it all back up..... or, and I may be typing out my donkey (rear end) here as I don't really know how this part all connects up.
Could it be where the propshaft fits into the diff. I would assume there is a seal to stop oil flowing out in this area. This may be where the leak is starting from.

Then the next question is when you did an oil service could some oil possibly have leaked out when removing the oil filter, and then when the motor heats up the oil that has leaked will thin out and spread. on mine (TD42) with 2 oil filters there is always a bit of oil that lands up on top of the diff and as much as I clean it up there is always a little "residue" that spreads out.

Maybe spray the underside of the motor and diff with "Clean Green" or similar, and spray with a pressure washer (careful on rubber pipes), and then monitor from there
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Is that the front or rear diff, and has the nut come loose again?

If the nut is loose again, could this be pointing to some other issue, like an imbalanced propshaft or something?

If front diff, I think Cedric has a point. Changing oil filters will pretty much always dump some oil here.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Kirbster
Full Name: Hugh Kirby
Nickname: Hugh
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: 2014 Nissan Patrol GRX 4800

Post by Kirbster »

ricster wrote: 17 Jun 2020 13:48 Hmmm... Not sure why it's still leaking. Maybe the gasket is a bit tired and even tightening it up is not enough to seal it all back up..... or, and I may be typing out my donkey (rear end) here as I don't really know how this part all connects up.
Could it be where the propshaft fits into the diff. I would assume there is a seal to stop oil flowing out in this area. This may be where the leak is starting from.

Then the next question is when you did an oil service could some oil possibly have leaked out when removing the oil filter, and then when the motor heats up the oil that has leaked will thin out and spread. on mine (TD42) with 2 oil filters there is always a bit of oil that lands up on top of the diff and as much as I clean it up there is always a little "residue" that spreads out.

Maybe spray the underside of the motor and diff with "Clean Green" or similar, and spray with a pressure washer (careful on rubber pipes), and then monitor from there
Thanks Cedric. The Troll did recently go I for a major service so you have a good point about checking for an oil leak higher up in the engine bay. I'll hopefully get a chance to check for this on the weekend.
- Previous 4x4: 2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 dCI AT. ARB Suspension and ARB Rear Locker.
- Currently Towing: 2017 Conqueror Comfort Trailer with factory mounted bush awning.
- YouTube: "Simple Life Overlanding"

Return to “10. Drivetrain”