Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Me and bad habits!

Post by Peter Connan »

Thanks Cedric

Answers inside the quote.
ricster wrote: 13 Aug 2019 15:02 Peter, is your turbo both water and oil cooled? Nope, just oil.

I don't have an accurate water temp gauge ( madman ) etc, so can only speak from the standard dash gauge. On mine it never goes up passed halfway. In fact it sits to the left of the wiggly lines on the gauge even on a long climb. My car water temp gauge is actually surprisingly responsive. 100 degrees is pretty close to the top. But I do not have my turbo connected to the water. I also have a monstrous radiator that I have no idea where it came out of ( was told its from a Cabstar, but have been told that it isn't ). The top mount vs front mount will have an impact on cooling for sure, but I am surprised that it is pushing the boundaries on yours. I have a brand new custom Ally radiator which is pretty much as big as the GQ body can fit. But it is pretty well known that the GQ is pretty limiting in that respect, and pretty marginal when it comes to keeping the kettle cool.

Do you have the full shroud around the fan? Jip

Another thing I think can have an impact, and I'm not sure if the GQ has this or not, but the plastic "deflector" that we all take off when we fit your bash plate, can have an impact with negative air pressures not being achieved as high to assist with sucking air in through the radiator. Should probably try something down there. Currently there is nothing, not even a bash plate... This also mean that the side rubber skirts between the engine bay and the wheel well need to be there and in good condition again to assist in keeping a negative air pressure in the engine bay. Those (or replacements thereof) are in place and in good nick.

Maybe give it a try by placing piece of rubber matting on the angle of your bash plate ( like a spoiler, for the inner boy racer in you....hahaha ) and see if there is a difference.

Alternatively, Hows your viscous hub? Relatively new and seemingly good. Also, since the issue is primarily at freeway speeds, unlikely to contribute much.

Possible extra advice... the rubber foam sealer between the body and the radiator to stop air leaking around the radiator may need attention. The radiator is pretty much right up against the body, with very small gaps. But I do want to try stuff something in there, just don't have small enough hands and thin enough arms...
So I guess there are a few things I can still try before panic sets in, none of which are likely to make a massive difference on it's own, but perhaps when added together it will be enough.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Peter, really impressive fuel consumption for a river trip!
Its still early days on your conversion and we will iron out all the small things to get your temps closer to where they should be.

Your exhaust valve/streight pipe mod thing will be a very good test to see what influence the smaller exhaust has on the temps.
Whenever you are in the area again you can swing past for a small adjustment I want to make on the fuel pump.

Cedric, the heat gauge on the GU's are planted on the just under half mark from about 65 deg right up to 100 deg. Only once it goes past 100 deg the needle starts moving.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
petrol
Full Name: Martin Koorts
Nickname: Martin
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by petrol »

Hello Peter

I have a hardbody with the 2.7 version motor. I also struggled with temp issues, what made the biggest difference was the thermostat housing mod I did.
I measured my thermostat opening distance at 80, 85, 90 and 95 celsius in a pot on the stove and found that it only closes the cerculation hole at about 95 celcius.
I have incerted a stainless 4mm washer so that it closes the circulation hole earlier, masive difference.
Still gets hot but drop the temps about 10 celcius.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Thanks Martin

On mine, the bottom seat was pretty worn, so it has been plugged and a single-acting thermostat fitted, so the bypass is not in operation at all.
petrol
Full Name: Martin Koorts
Nickname: Martin
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by petrol »

Ok, ruling out that scenario
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Piet my temps were between 76 and 82 for the complete river, on tar I got it up to 94 on those long inclines at Polokwane, however I did not touch the aircon as that has about a 10degree increase to my temps.
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Dankie Dirk
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Something interesting. I was looking at the results of last weekend's dyno day, and accidentally found dyno graphs from a previous forun dyno day (6 November 2010), when my car still had it's original engine.

Now I realize that the runs were done on different dynos in different weather and with different tires, so the results are strictly speaking not comparable, but I believe the trends are stil both valid and interesting:
TB42vsTD42T.JPG
TB42vsTD42T.JPG (44.62 KiB) Viewed 21046 times
Also, I could's get the revs to show, but the graph runs from 1500 to 4000rpm

Here's my takeaway:
The TB42 has a far flatter torque curve. More torque under 1600 and over 3500rpm. But the TD has far higher maximum torque (408 vs 245Nm), and even has more power (this was a surprise to me), 104kW vs 76kW.

I still maintain that the petrol engines flatter torque curve makes it better for most types of off-roading as it is easier to control, but it needs to be controlled, whereas the diesel can basically just be allowed to idle with no driver input.

However, on the open road there is no comparison. the TD42's rich seam of torque right at cruising speed means the drive is far more relaxing. Basically one never needs to change gear for a hill at 100-120km/h, whereas that definitely wasn't true for the TB42.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yeah, the two are a very different driving style which is what I've always said. Both are brilliant, but simply way different
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Stefaansie
Full Name: Andre Vorster
Nickname: André
Home Town: Benoni
Current 4x4: 1996 SGL-D 4.2 Patrol

Post by Stefaansie »

Ekke dink jy het nou n nuwe "bad habbit" begin...

Geniet hom.
'96 SGL-D PATROL (GQ)
ECHO 3
'07 SUZUKI BOULEVARD 1800
'06 YAMAHA 700 RAPTOR

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”