Full Name: Lawrence
Nickname: Sweetlips
Home Town: Paarl
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Post by Sweetlips »

Hi gents

I know this is not a Patrol question but i cant think of a better group to ask.

What is the general opinion on the Nissan Pathfinder 4x4.

I need to upgrade my daily Juke in a year or so, so I'm busy doing some market research. I always had an eye on the Pathfinder as i didn't like the looks of the Navara model associated with the Pathfinder. Personally i would go for the current Navara but the pricing is still way to much for my budget.

The main use would be driving to work and back, including site inspections as i am in the civil engineering industry, mall crawling for shopping and the normal family trips. Considering my kids are all grown up (15 and 21) and dragging friends along is another consideration.

What are the Pro's vs Cons?

Additionally;

1. 4L petrol vs 2.5 diesel - what type of consumption am i looking at?
2. I noticed that the vehicle does not have a separate lever for low and high range, so how capable is the 4x4. Wouldn't be used to tackle any trails, may be used on site or access a site with a grade 1 - 2 level of difficulty at most. May want to test it at Atlantis Dunes as well although that is why i have the Patrol but again a site may have sandy conditions i need to access.
3. How comfortable is it for a daily drive? Considering we would use it on family trips and outings as well.
4. For no reason i would prefer to have aftermarket bumpers front and back so what is the widest AT tyre i can fit without a suspension upgrade?

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!!!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Re: Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Post by mvcoller »

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned, luxurious, fast, comfortable, light on fuel and very spacious. I am tall, so my seat is far back. I have two adult sons are 6ft 3in and they both have sufficient space in the rear (centre) seat. As with all 7 seaters, the rear seats are for children and smaller adults. The floor is totally flat if all the rear seats are folded flat, and it gives you 2m of flat floor. The rear door window open upwards independently, so I can carry 4m long things easily....

My 2010 YD 25 has just clocked over to 200k km. In and around town I get 12lt per 100, if in bad traffic and I put foot, I may drop back to 14lt per 100km. On the open road with the cruise control set to 120 (about 115 GPS speed) I get anything from about 8 to 9lt per 100, and at 10kph lower speed, this can go as low as 7.5lt per 100kph

I use it as my daily vehicle, my Patrol is only for safaris and camping trips.

You will love it, much more nimble than the Patrol, and probably more space inside as well. I will not easily swap it....

The 4x2 and 4x4 options are selected via a rotary dial on the console, and there are 4 modes: 4x2H, Auto (automatically selects between 4x2H and 4x4H, depending on road surface), 4x4H and 4x4L(can only be selected with vehicle in neutral). My is a 6 speed manual model. It has traction control, which unfortunately turns off when going into 4x4L. It is capable enough, but I raised mine 50mm and fitted a front locker (www.Lokka.com), and is now unstoppable on most trails. it is however a LOOOONG vehicle. I often do garde 4 trails with it, but the length can be a hinderance sometimes on grade 4 trails. It does grade 3s with ease, but remember it has a front locker now (Can get one of those for about R8k via courier).

It was built as a competitor to the LR Discovery and the Prado, and I think it compares very well with them, certainly more reliable than the LR and a lot more classy that the Prado... (In SA they are the only 3 vehicles in that class)

The 4lt V6 Petrol version is a lot heavier on fuel, possibly nearly the same as the 4.8 Patrol. The 2.5 is powerful at 140kw and 450nm of torque, tows extremely well and even uphill, you can leave it in 6th. Unlike other diesels, it easily revs to 4500 or even 5000rpm, though I rarely do it, it really make oodles of torque low down, so much so that if you hoof it around a corner, it wheel spins and traction control comes in to limit it.

The Pathfinder only comes in the 140kw Spanish version. The Navara comes out in 108kw, 120 kw and 140kw, and in either Spanish or Thai specification. The Spanish version is 140kw, but the later Thai versions was upped to 140kw as well. I have taken mine the the advertised to speed of 180kph, then tapped off. It could have gone more.....

I run 265/70 x 17s, other guys I know of run up to 285/70 x 17s.
Attachments
Pathy Fuel consumption last 10 fill-ups.jpg
Pathy Fuel consumption last 10 fill-ups.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Pathy Fuel consumption.jpg
Pathy Fuel consumption.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Last edited by mvcoller on 21 Mar 2021 08:53, edited 13 times in total.
Mal Hannes
Full Name: Hannes Wessels
Nickname: Hannes
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Mal Hannes »

Diesel for sure, that petrol is as heavy as a petrolPatrol, without the advantages.

I'm not a fan but I have not been in one for many many years.
Sweetlips

Post by Sweetlips »

mvcoller wrote:One of the best vehicles I have ever owned, luxurious, fast, comfortable, light on fuel and very spacious. I am tall, so my seat is far back. I have two adult sons are 6vt 3in and they both have sufficient space in the rear (centre) seat. As with all 7 seaters, the rear seats are for children and smaller adults. The floor is totally flat if all the rear seats are folded flat, and it gives you 2m of flat floor. The rear door window open upwards independently, so I can carry 4m long things easily....

My 2010 YD 25 has just clocked over to 200k km. In and around town I get 12lt per 100, if in bad traffic and I put foot, I may drop back to 14lt per 100km. On the open road with the cruise control set to 120 (about 115 GPS speed) I get anything from about 8 to 9lt per 100, and at 10kph lower speed, this can go as low as 7.5lt per 100kph

I use it as my daily vehicle, my Patrol is only for safaris and camping trips.

You will love it, much more nimble than the Patrol, and probably more space inside as well. I will not easily swap it....

The 4x2 and 4x4 options are selected via a rotary dial on the console, and there are 4 modes: 4x2H, Auto (automatically selects between 4x2H and 4x4H, depending on road surface), 4x4H and 4x4L(can only be selected with vehicle in neutral). My is a 6 speed manual model. It has traction control, which unfortunately turns off when going into 4x4L. It is capable enough, but I raised mine 50mm and fitted a front locker (www.Lokka.com), and is now unstoppable on most trails. it is however a LOOOONG vehicle. I often do garde 4 trails with it, but the length can be a hinderance sometimes on grade 4 trails. It does grade 3s with ease, but remember it has a front locker now (Can get one of those for about R8k via courier).

It was built as a competitor to the LR Discovery and the Prado, and I think it compares very well with them, certainly more reliable than the LR and a lot more classy that the Prado... (In SA they are the only 3 vehicles in that class)

The 4lt V6 Petrol version is a lot heavier on fuel, possibly nearly the same as the 4.8 Patrol. The 2.5 is powerful at 140kw and 450nm of torque, tows extremely well and even uphill, you can leave it in 6th. Unlike other diesels, it easily revs to 4500 or even 5000rpm, though I rarely do it, it really make oodles of torque low down, so much so that if you hoof it around a corner, it wheel spins and traction control comes in to limit it.

The Pathfinder only comes in the 140kw Spanish version. The Navara comes out in 108kw, 120 kw and 140kw, and in either Spanish or Thai specification. The Spanish version is 140kw, but the later Thai versions was upped to 140kw as well. I have taken mine the the advertised to speed of 180kph, then tapped off. It could have gone more.....

I run 265/70 x 17s, other guys I know of run up to 285/70 x 17s.
Thanks for the valuable feedback Malcolm.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

I bought a 2nd hand Pathy 2.5 when I sold my GQ 2 years ago. I miss only 2 things on my GQ , ruggedness drive anywhere and packing space.

I love my Pathy, extremely responsive , light on fuel as a daily drive . Super comfortable driving long distance and pulls my offroad trailer with ease. Last year visited Kgalagadi and saved R7K compared to my GQ the previous visit. Enjoying the Auto box immensely , i did add a radiator protection plate and will probably do the 50mm lift when i replace shocks in near future . My average consumption is around 10km per liter and pulling the trailer its around 8km per liter

Buy the diesel

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Sweetlips

Post by Sweetlips »

Thanks for the info Jules.

graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

I just did a quick search and it doesn’t look like there’s any around with reasonable mileage anymore though? Or am I wrong?

Looking at the consumption figures, maybe consider a patrol crd as well?
Although it might be a bit more tiring in traffic compared to a pathfinder.
Sweetlips

Post by Sweetlips »

Graham i haven't gone into a detailed search yet so not sure to be honest. I am just overcaustious when it comes to the diesel Patrols. Would prefer to stick with the 2.5.

On a side note. What I have seen on pricing is that it varies alot, 2 similar 2007ish models and mileage can go for either under R100k or over R120k

Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

A great pity that the Patrol CRD did not come to RSA in an auto box , two of my friend's have them in Australia and they are extremely satisfied. If SA sold them I would have gone for that, but the kW and torque on the Pathy is really awesome. The auto box in game reserve is really great.
My 150 000km service will be due next month

Also speak to Michael of SOJO his wife has one and I am sure he would not keep it if it is prone to problems.

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Wolf
Full Name: Bildhauer
Nickname: Wolf
Home Town: Koenigsfeld
Current 4x4: Nissan Pathfinder
Home Language: englisch

Post by Wolf »

Hello,
as I just recently joint this forum I might be too late. I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 cdi, silver, automatic, winch, bulbar, roof rack and rooftent with a lot of accessories for sale. If it is still of interest let me know and I provide you with more details.
Best regards
Wolf
Wolfgang from the Black Forest

Return to “37. Vehicles Wanted”