Full Name: Pieter Bouwer
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Hamburg, Germany
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4x4 y61 4.2D 1999
Home Language: English Afrikaans German Italian

Looking for a 4x4 overnight trail

Post by PJBno1 »

Gooday Guys
I am looking for a 4x4 overland trail , with maximum 4 nights sleeping in the bush in the Gauteng ,Limpopo, North West or Mpumalanga provinces . We are based in Germany and plan to be in SA in July . Preferably with a group of people .
Many thanks Pieter
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Looking for a 4x4 overnight trail

Post by Tinus lotz »

Hello there are a lot of trails man what tipe are you looking for ?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome Pieter

We don't really have many trials that would keep one busy for four days. In fact. most trails around here are easily done in a day. There are several which have camping, and there are several of those which are close enough enough to each other that they could be done in some sequence. For example there are a few quite extensive (and difficult) trials between the towns of Brits and Thabazimbi (particularly Moegatle and At se Gat.

The only multi-day trial I know of is Rust de Winter. This has a beautiful campsite but when doing the mountain route, the second night is typically spent in a tiny little campsite up on the mountain. This is a guided trial, and must be booked as a group. I am not sure if it can be done during the week as the guides are mostly volunteers with normal weekday jobs.

There is only one trial I know of which could keep one busy for four days, and that is an informal trial on public land. Search this forum for "River trip". I am sure if you want to you could book Anthony Forgey to guide you, as he does this for some clubs already.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

PJBno1 wrote: 19 Jan 2020 12:58 Gooday Guys
I am looking for a 4x4 overland trail , with maximum 4 nights sleeping in the bush in the Gauteng ,Limpopo, North West or Mpumalanga provinces . We are based in Germany and plan to be in SA in July . Preferably with a group of people .
Many thanks Pieter
Hi Pieter

It very much also depends on the kind f 4x4 trip you are looking for

The Rivertrip that PC is referring to is quite technical (especially the Molotots river). July (winter) is a good time when it is dry, as the river runs in the summer. Besides fuel and food this trip is for free, but knowledge of where to go is critical. It is best to drive this route with a group such as the Patrol forum) that can assist with spotting and for general safety. This is on public grounds, so no wild animals other than perhaps stray dogs. We do camp next to the Kruger in the Letaba river for one night. In 2019 we received a visit from a solitary elephant on the other side of the fence.
The Patrol forum's annual River trip is in August.
Some pics: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8298&p=105805&hili ... ip#p105805
The Patrol forum's 2020 trip is scheduled for 7-11 August.

A far less technical trip (mostly jeep track rather than difficult 4x4 terrain) would be something like the Mafunyane Eco trail in the Kruger. This is commercially run by the South African National Parks board, with limited spaces. I did this in September 2019.
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/t ... es/4x4.php
There are also other eco trails in the Kruger. Although we have seen plenty of buffalo and elephant, it is not necessarily ideal for game watching (for which the tar roads are actually better) but it gives a unique and exclusive bush veld experience.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8298&p=105805&hili ... ip#p105805

Another option, similar to the SANparks Eco trails is the Luvhuvhu trail.
The difference being that this is a private concession company utilising some of the private and national parks territories.
I was on this trip in 2014.
https://www.dolimpopo.com/4x4-trails/lu ... ight-trail

For all of them you are required to have your own vehicle and be completely self-sufficient.
For the River Trip that includes your own ablution. For the Sanparks trips there are "long drops" provided.

I can recommend all of th above trips.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
PJBno1
Full Name: Pieter Bouwer
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Hamburg, Germany
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4x4 y61 4.2D 1999
Home Language: English Afrikaans German Italian

Post by PJBno1 »

Alex ,thanks for the extensive answer . Many good choices. :goodpost:

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”