BobsCreek
Full Name: Joshua Able
Nickname: BobsCreek
Home Town: McArthur
Current 4x4: 2105 Colorado
Home Language: english

Namibia

Post by BobsCreek »

My half assed trip is almost ready to take off, the 1st leg is S. Africa and I expect to hit Namibia around August 1st and be there till early September (+/- a few days here and there).

I'm planning on hitting the coast and Etosha, but I am strongly considering spending a good amount of time in the NE of Namibia and eventually entering Botswana in the extreme NE.

Are there any "you have to visit" spots that you guys really love? Also, please note that I'm traveling on a tight budget, so please don't reply with a spot that costs me 100usd a night or something crazy!

Ideally spots under 200nad would be great, and then I can mix in some others that are 300nad or so.

Thanks!

Also, I do have a passenger seat if someone is foolish enough to want to jump in for a time.
NoPressure
Full Name: Ruan
Nickname: Ruan
Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C 4x4 Auto
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX M/T
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Namibia

Post by NoPressure »

Good day BobsCreek

Namibia is a great place to visit. I haven't read your blog/vlog/Instagram/YouTube, thus I am unsure what you would like to do? Do you want 4x4 trails, is extensive distances on unsealed roads part of your plan, do you want to bush camp, or would you prefer a place with ablutions and a pool?

The NE of Nam is amazing! The coast have some of the highest dunes in the world. We just came back from a trip to the NW of Nam and the isolation is breathtaking.
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Namibia is an amazing country and it doesn't really matter where you go, it will be fantastic.

Your planned route seems accurate, but be warned, on the Northern coast, civilization (and fuel) becomes very scarce. In order to avoid hassles (especially since you do not plan too extensively) turn inland after you hit Swakopmund (also a lovely town where you can plan to spend as much as a week if you want). There is a camping site in town on the southern part (do not remember the name) and then keep heading towards Etosha through Omaruru. (A night in Omaruru bush lodge is also recommended, but this may push your budget). That way you will have very scenic tour and no problems with roads, fuel etc.

Enjoy and remember to post pictures.
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
BobsCreek
Full Name: Joshua Able
Nickname: BobsCreek
Home Town: McArthur
Current 4x4: 2105 Colorado
Home Language: english

Post by BobsCreek »

To be fair, even you had read such, you wouldn't know much more lol..

I mean, wtf arent you psychic???

Trails if there is a point to them, such as wildlife on them or at the end, but not just to "get off road". A long drop suffices, though running water tends to be a nice touch.

Wildlife is the key component :-)
NoPressure
Full Name: Ruan
Nickname: Ruan
Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C 4x4 Auto
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX M/T

Post by NoPressure »

From which direction will you be entering Namibia (which gate)?

You will definitely see awesome sights and wildlife in Nam. We had a friendly resident elephant munch on the tree above our tent at Palmwag during the night last week. There are a couple of dirt roads that are currently in a bit of a bad state, one can always detour around them. I would say make provisions to carry some extra fuel - some of the smaller "towns" run out.

Also consider when you pass the "red line" that you may not carry any raw meat and such back south. It is just under Etosha, and even in Etosha you may not exit with meat. Thus have a bit of a plan to hit a small town after those situations.

4x4community has a wealth of knowledge and many trip reports (as does patrol4x4).

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”