Electric Seat not going backwards

Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Re: Electric Seat not going backwards

Post by Spike »

When mine were faulty I thought it was the switches and bought replacements from David Volschenk's guy Hannes Joone. However it turned out to be the motors. I took one apart and fixed it, the other got working after a few taps with a small hammer.

Be careful when you reassemble the motor. I crushed a carbon brush but managed to reshape it with a dremil tool. Working 100's.
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Florian320
Full Name: Florian M.
Nickname: Flo
Home Town: Hoedspruit
Current 4x4: '99 GRX 4500
Home Language: German

Post by Florian320 »

Try to find out wether you can hear the switch 'clicking'.
You could also unscrew the switch and measure wether the contacts close when using it.

It is possible but a pain to repair the switch itself, getting it together again is a task for people with calm hands and a good temper.

I have a feeling (and might be wrong) that the current the motor uses also affects the switch as mine were really black inside from current-arcing.

So after repairing the switch it is a good idea to clean and/ or re-grease the screwwheel (I don't know how to call it differently) the motor is actually working on.
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D
Home Language: English

Post by graham1 »

I see I never updated this thread.

I took the switch out, and sprayed with cleaner where I could, but I was too nervous to pull it apart completely as I had visions of springs etc disappearing.
In the end, I did a proper backyard mechanic fix - I took a working switch off my diesel’s seat and put it on the 4.8’s seat :biggrin:

There’s a couple little things that Ant will have to help me with on the diesel, so fixing the switch can go on the list now.
Onematch
Full Name: Rob Pollock
Nickname: Rob
Home Town: East London
Current 4x4: Troll 4,8 Disco3 Subaru

Post by Onematch »

Just had the same problem - the passenger seat was as far forward as it could go (I needed to load stuff in to Patrol) and would not go back - also the electric window winder switch on the same side would go up, and very intermittently go down.

Took it to my Indie in E.L. and serviced both switches - said they were both dirty but no arcing - cost R750ex.

Cheers Rob.
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter B »

It's funny that it looks to be the the switches on the left hand side that's causing the hassles. Mine is exactly the same. I wonder if it has something to do with the person alwayx sitting on that side.... :rolling:
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

Pieter B wrote: 18 Jul 2020 11:47 It's funny that it looks to be the the switches on the left hand side that's causing the hassles. Mine is exactly the same. I wonder if it has something to do with the person alwayx sitting on that side.... :rolling:

Haha!
I know for the electric windows switches they give issues if they’re not used enough - My one’s rear window switches started doing that, both the ones on the rear doors, and the rear controls on the drivers door. After lots of clicking up and down they started working again, and now every now and then I open and close them just to keep them working.

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”