Full Name: Michael K. Lehr
Nickname: Mick
Home Town: Nottingham Road
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX
Home Language: English? German

Starter Motor TB45

Post by Mick »

Hello all

I am in desperate need for a solution for my starter motor.

IT is a '98 Patrol 4500 GRX. Apparently the starter cannot be repaired and apparently there are only agent Replacements.

Issue: Am told the armature is done and needs to be replaced, can this be repaired or is a replacement my only option?

They have also informed me that the only replacement is direct from agent and honestly have been unable to locate a generic version. Can this part be replaced with any other model that is still compatible or if a second hand one can be used.

Please any suggestions on a fix or where i can locate a refurbed/pre owned working version?
can message pic if needed.

Thanks ahead.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: Starter Motor TB45

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Hi. Mick.

Starter motor can definitely be refurbished.
Take it to a decent reputable auto electrician in your area and they can strip and quote.
Most likely needs new brushes, armature needs to be cleaned/skimmed etc etc, and commutator needs to be inspected

If its just new brushes, and full service + Lube job, you looking around R1000-R1500. If its any major part replacement as mentioned above, it might be more.
Agents are going to charge you R12 k for a new one, which is madness.

Also, the Hitachi units in the patrol are great units, so rather refurbish than sell and replace with generic part.

Taking it out is easy 10 min job (on my TD42 at least), RB45 might be more difficult, but still worth doing to save yourself money having Auto lec do it, as they'll charge you another R500 -R1000 to do that.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”