DSCN1394.jpg (194.53 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Ratau
Full Name: Danie Terblanche
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel / DIY Turbo Conversion.
1982 Chevrolet K5 Blazer 6.2 V8-Diesel
485 Nm@1300Rpm NA
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Anyone here turbo'ed a TD42?

Post by Ratau »

Grant

Great pictures.

Do you know from what point was the oil connection tapped in for the turbo and does it have water cooling too?

Is the exhaust manifold one or two pieces?
Danie

Live while you’re alive!
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Info from the web site. Go to www.safari.com.

Safari Diesel Turbocharger System for the Nissan Patrol TD42 Engine
Diesel engine efficiency on Nissan's TD42 engine is legendary but as most diesel owners know only too well, the downside is somewhat leisurely performance especially when towing.

Safari Water cooled turbocharger
Split pulse ductile iron exhaust manifold
High flow cast aluminium discharge duct
Braided stainless steel, teflon lined water and oil lines
All fittings custom designed to suit Nissan Patrol TD42
3" Mandrel exhaust system with flexible bellows

Not anymore!

The Safari professionally developed and engineered Safari Turbo System for Nissan's 4.2L diesel delivers amazing performance.

With hundreds of Safari TD42 turbo systems out there on the roads and tracks around the planet, Safari is the only manufacturer of turbocharger systems with the deep understanding of this engine and the engineering expertise to offer the most reliable and powerful turbo enhancement for the Nissan Patrol TD42 diesel engine .

For overtaking, towing or touring, the Safari Turbo System transforms your vehicle with power and torque you may have never thought achievable.

The Safari Turbo System utilizes a water cooled turbocharger with a split pulse ductile iron exhaust manifold and a high flow, Safari engineered cast aluminium compressor and discharge duct. Braided stainless steel, teflon lined water and oil lines are used throughout along with the best quality custom fittings. Moreover, the Safari turbo system is delivered complete with the Safari High Output 3" precision mandrel formed exhaust system.

Regards

Grant
Attachments
exhaust.jpg
exhaust.jpg (17.69 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
components.jpg
components.jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
V8 Power

Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Information on the intercooler from the web site

Safari Intercooler System - SCTD42
The professionally developed and engineered Safari Intercooler System for the Safari turbocharged Nissan GQ Patrol 4.2L diesel engine delivers absolutely amazing performance. It's not only impressive - it's reliable, consistent and sustainable power. The cooler air returned to your engine by the Safari Intercooler system also ensures lower engine operating temperatures.

The standard vehicle's turbo charger function is to compress and force a greater volume of air into the engine, thus producing more power. However, it is a basic law of physics that when you compress air you increase it's temperature. As hot air is less dense than cool air at the same pressure, the total amount of air available to sustain the correct air/fuel ratio and to produce power is lessened. At high ambient temperatures, the level of power drops off by 15%.

Not any more! At Safari, all of our engineering experience and expertise has gone into our Patrol front mount intercooler which offers massive cooling capacity. Our high efficiency heat exchanger intercooler core utilizes light weight cast aluminium end tanks and offers exceptional efficiency and low restriction. That, along with our custom kevlar reinforced rubber air ducts and highest quality fittings ensures optimum performance with unsurpassed reliability and longevity under extreme operating conditions.

Warm air flows from the turbocharger to the intercooler, returning compressed cool air to the engine. The cooler air returned to your engine by a Safari Intercooler system ensures more power particularly at high ambient temperatures and more importantly, much lower engine operating temperatures with improved engine durability.

And being a front mount intercooler, it doesn't suffer the serious heat soak problems of top mount and water-to-air intercoolers, particularly during low speed hard slogging in 4WD conditions.

The Safari commitment to outstanding performance. "The Safari philosophy will never change: Reliable performance must always be achieved."

An engine that runs cooler, runs more reliably longer. Higher speeds and/or greater load carrying conditions can be maintained too - without the normal fuel consumption penalty as more power for a given volume of fuel (given identical conditions) means more economical fuel consumption.

For overtaking, towing or touring, the Safari Intercooled System transforms the big Nissan with power and torque you may have never thought achievable.

Safari Power and Torque
Tough Torque:
At just 2,000 RPM, the Safari TD42 Intercooler System produces a tidal wave of torque. A further 15% increase at the wheels over the Safari turbo system or 60% compound increase over the standard vehicle. That's 430 Nm of Torque! If you've ever traversed long stretches of sand, you'll know what that means.

Real Power:

Installed on your Safari turbocharged Nissan TD42 diesel, the Safari Intercooler System delivers a 16% increase in power output at the wheels over Safari turbo system or 60% compound increase over the standard vehicle . That's 140 kW of power - that certainly takes the russian roulette out of overtaking.

Facts and figures are one thing. Driving is another. You'll discover the best things about your Safari enhanced Patrol on the road, tracks or on the job. Torque is vastly improved straight off idle where the standard vehicle can be less than satisfying.

Regards

Grant
V8 Power

Ratau
485 Nm@1300Rpm NA

Post by Ratau »

Thanks Grant :goodpost:
Danie

Live while you’re alive!
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

I have met a guy a while ago from aus,John.He was looking for workshops to become agents for safari turbo's.I was one off them ,I dont have a workshop anymore,so I could not acceped.I had the second four wheel drive dyno in Cape town,Dup diesel was the first.Any way story for some other time.The Safari kits are great,but they claim a bit high power.The power Grant got with his Patrol from Sac is spot on.The fuel pumps are to small to get the power what safari claims.Yes you will see that power with diferent pumps.I have Turbo'ed my car and are very happy.. I could not care about the figures.At last I dyno my car on my old dyno,after the stronger clutch convertion.At 1.5 bar boost and 600deg egt's the power was 130kw and 400nm.Not to bad for not running with a intercooler.I know if I push the fuel to get the egt's to 680-700 the power will go up,I did not I have turn it down to 1.3bar boost and the egt's end up at 580deg.The power is at 125kw and 388nm.I have done that to see the fuel consumption,because I am still happy with the performance off the Patrol.
Dennis Maytom had the same safari turbo,still has.First never had the power they claimed.After Dennis did his own developing he got the power and more,that Patrol pull's like a train.
I will post photos off my convertion soon.
Rdgs Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

My Patrol is also turbocharged and intercooled...

I run about 0.7 bar boost, and the fueling has been fine-tuned nicely by Dastek in Pretoria when they replace the injectors earlier this year. The engine produces about 95kW and 360 nm on the reef. My EGT probe is mounted in the manifold (i.e. before the turbo) where it is very responsive. I have not seen more than 560 deg C since it was fitted about months ago. When driving quick on tar the water temperatures do creep up somewhat from the standard 86-90 deg C, but I have not seen more than 98 deg C either. Returning form the Toyota Desert Race this weekend my fuel consumption was roughly 14.5l/100km at 110-120km with a rooftop tent, 33" tyres and 2" OME lift.

From the Oz forum I've learnt that the early Y61 models had weak 5th gears that could strip if you went overboard with the boost and then used the vehicle for towing in top gear. Updated gears became available more or less with the launch of the 3.0 TD, so mine is very likely one of those that must be treated carefully. Apparently the boxes that are affected can be recognised by their rusty coloured oil when you change it. I have not changed mine yet - I guess I'm a bit apprehensive by what I might see when I eventually do :pray:

Remember also that there's a direct link between fueling & boost on a diesel - more boost allows more diesel fuel to be burnt. Diesels do not require carefully controlled stoichiometric mixtures like petrol engines, therefore only diesel is injected. Air for the combustion process is naturally inhaled due to engine rotation. As a result the mixture varies wildly (anything from 200:1 - 20:1) according to engine revs (higher revs suck in more air) & accelerator pedal depth (adding more fuel). A turbo forces more air into the engine, in turn allowing more diesel to be injected & burnt. Because diesels are compression-ignition motors and diesel is a slow-combustng fuel, they also do not suffer from detonation that occurs when upping the boost on petrol engines that run on standard pump fuel.

So: if your EGT is too high on a diesel, upping the boost will lower the EGT just the same as decreasing the fueling would. In a diesel lean mixture = less fuel = less EGT. Petrol engines operate the other way round - a weak mixture will generally cause overheating. Obviously there are limits to what the pistons, turbo & wastegate, clutch, gearbox, etc will handle on your 4.2! The important thing is that your fueling must match your boost. If done properly, your EGT will stay in check and the motor won't give off black smoke (a sign of over-fueling)...
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Ratau
485 Nm@1300Rpm NA

Post by Ratau »

I was at SAC Diesel yesterday; Maynard showed me their home made exhaust manifold that’s basically steam pipe elbows and T’s welded together. I initially accepted they used an imported cast iron manifold.

Does the turbo sit above or below the manifold on other imported kits?
Danie

Live while you’re alive!
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Hi Ratu,

The turbo on my troll sits on the bottom. See pics above. You can also discuss this with Mynard as he installed this unit. I would also be more than willing to meet up with you, so you can have a look at the fitment. A test drill will seal the deal to fit a turbo.Fell free to call me on 084 520 6570

Also please check with Mynard as the unit I have fitted is set at .7Bar boost. All the local units only boost to .4 Bar.

Regards

Grant
V8 Power

Buffalo32
Full Name: Renier Burger
Nickname: Renier
Home Town: Bagani
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol TD 4.2 wagon 1996
Nissan NP300 DC 2.5 4x4 2016
GWM 2.8 diesel DC 4x4 2012

Post by Buffalo32 »

Who and where in SA can I get a turbo installed on my 1996 blacktop TD 4.2 diesel?

Return to “09. Engines”