Mal Hannes
Full Name: Hannes Wessels
Nickname: Hannes
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Zerubabel

Post by Mal Hannes »

So I also need to give my two-month review.

I love this old lady! She has style, she has flair, attitude, and ability.

Fuel is an issue but it was expected, it is slightly worse than I thought.

Every tank trying to get to less than 20l per 100km and the gauge is set up that it looks good at half a tank but then it drops like mad. 4.8 is not only the size of the engine it is also the

I've gotten out to mess around on semi off-road trails, more than with Amarok or Hilux. That is the value of this compared to a newer 4x4. You just want to play!

Space is cavernous,7 people in comfort.

The growl when you put your foot down, even just slightly, is addictive.

She is a bit ship like on the road with a bit of a wandering Spirit, all over the road. Not bad just different to the Amarok that was straight and true.

Off-Road: Mhh What fun, I used to do some 4x4 with my male friends but I was to scared to scratch or damage the Amarok.

With the Patrol ,I am more daring and want to do more outings. My Rear diff lock will be fixed this week and then I can push it some more. The bash plates will also be ready soon and that will help with confidence. I have gotten stuck, oops! It was my fault!

As I said in my other thread the list of things that I want to do is endless.

Oh yes, the dogs!! They are not allowed in Mandy's taxi so they were always left to the canopy in the bakkies. Now they ride inside like proper children and they are ecstatic. If I mention the word "drive" or pick up Zerubabel's keys, chaos irrupts as they try and get into the garage to wait for me. Going to work is much harder now.

The summary of my two months is that Covid forced me to put more money into our business and so the sale of the Amarok and purchase of the Patrol was a grudging move, Going from a 2018 to a 2008 felt very reverse gear, I have loved every minute. I do miss the V6 Diesel but the gargle of that 4,8 Patrol makes up for it!

I also love being part of this group and plan to be a Patrol owner for the rest of my life.
izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)

Re: Zerubabel

Post by izakjbrt »

Mal Hannes wrote: 20 Oct 2020 13:52

The growl when you put your foot down, even just slightly, is addictive.

Found your fuel consumption issue.lol. I have a 2007 4.8 GRX and love it so much. Even got the missus one too. Now she has a fuel problem (cause she's a freakin aggressive nutter when she drives)
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

What is the average consumption of the 4.8?
izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)

Post by izakjbrt »

Mal Hannes wrote: 20 Oct 2020 14:20 What is the average consumption of the 4.8?
Depends if its downhill with the engine turned off. When I originally got my patrol, it had normal HT tyres, and nothing else, no drawer system, no after market bumpers or underbody protection. Pure virgin 4.8 grr patrol. Then I got about 7km/L on the open road driving at about 110. In the city, going from traffic light to traffic light, I got about 3.5 in traffic.

Ha! Now with roofrack and 33's (MT) and bumpers, fridges and all, I get about 5.8 - 6 on the open road. In town its still basically the same in heavy traffic
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
roelf prinsloo
Full Name: Roelf Prinsloo
Nickname: Roelf
Home Town: Klerksdorp
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 5.6L V8 LE Premuim ( Y62 ) 2018

Post by roelf prinsloo »

My patrol is " soos van sy ma af" standaard 4.8. Ek kry ook maar 5.8 -6 km/l op die oop pad teen 140 km/h ,die gps se 135km/h. Ongelukkig wil die spoedkontrole nie oor 140 km/h werk nie.. Dit is maar swaar maar kan dalk wees omdat ek so baie kontant saam ry vir petrol Ek sal maar betaal --dit is lekker en die ouens wat 24 uur by die pomp moet staan moet ook eet...Geniet my Patrol baie.
Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

I would give my eye teeth for 6. Something.

Will have to find out if there is something wrong.
Sweetlips
Full Name: Lawrence
Nickname: Sweetlips
Home Town: Paarl
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Sweetlips »

When people ask me how's my consumption with my 4.8 I tell them I don't know.

To be honest I bought the 4.8 open eyes knowing that fuel consumption should be the last of my worries.

For me it's smiles per miles as they say. I tend to drive around 110-120km/h as my sweetspot though.

With all the plans I have for the future I know the garage is going to see me more often lol.
Last edited by Sweetlips on 21 Oct 2020 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!!!
Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

Sweetlips wrote: 20 Oct 2020 16:44 When people ask me how's my consumption with my 4.8 I tell them I don't know.

To be honest I bought the 4.8 open eyes knowing that feel consumption should be the last of my worries.

For me it's smiles per miles as they say. I tend to drive around 110-120km/h as my sweetspot though.

With all the plans I have for the future I know the garage is going to see me more often lol.
Yes I totally agree but just want to make sure I'm not getting less than 5 where I should be getting 6.5!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

I will cause a riot when I tell these petrol junkies what my best and average consumption is on my 2008 GL 3.0Di....

I use the Patrol only for my Safari business or when we as a family go camping, so it permanently lives with an Outback mini roof rack on the front part of the roof, on which I have a 60lt water tank fitted mostly. This tank is about 150mm higher than the rack.

Behind that I have a rooftop tent fitted. In the rear load area, I have another 60lt water tank fitted behind the rear seats. I have a home made (steel frame) packing system from floor to roof, that houses a 90lt National Luna fridge/freezer, 4 ammo boxes, a tool box, tyre compressor, recovery kit, 2 x 6kg gas bottles, a high lift jack and much more. The front bumper is a steel replacement bumper. The Patrol always carries a heavy load.

My best consumption ever was when it was kitted as above, carrying a full load (but me as the only passenger). I was taking 2 Britons (in their own hired vehicle) on a 28 day safari through Botswana, Vic Falls, back into Botswana, then to Etosha, Epupa Falls on the Angola border, the Namibian south, as far as Dead Vlei and Duwisib Castle and returning to SA via Windhoek, Gobabis, Kang and Johannesburg.

I filled up in Tsumeb, travelled through Etosha for 4 days, entering at Namotoni in the east and exited in the far west at the new Anderson Gate, then on to Opowu towards Epupa Falls. Speeds in Etosha was 40 to 50kph and on tar max 110kph. Outside the park and on tar I tried not to exceed 105/110kph as per GPS.

I managed to get to Opowu, I used only the main tank and did 748,01km on 80,819lt; that is only 10.8lt per 100km or 9.26 km/lt. A week earlier in North western Botswana I got 10,99 lt per 100 km (9.10km/lt) with fill-ups on the whole trip ranging from 11lt per 100, to 13lt per 100 and the worst; one of 15,2 and two fill-ups at 16,72 and 16.54 lt per 100km. That was on Goodyear MTR 265/70 x 17 tyres.

A year later with American friends, 4 of us, and towing a camping trailer with a second RTT on the trailer to Vic Falls & Chobe and back to Jhb, again trying not to exceed 105/110kph GPS speed. This trip I had Bridgestone 694 AT 265/65 x 17 tyres. Best consumption was 12,58lt/100km (7,95km/lt) and worst was 15,21km/100km (6.57km/lt).

In and around Gauteng, in traffic and mixed 10% town and 90% congested highway speeds, consumption is much worse, best about 16lt per 100km and worst has never exceeded 18,5lt per 100km.

I like to travel at 105 to 110kph, towing and not towing, as that my limit when a RTT is fitted (top heavy), and when I have rookie 4x4 drivers (often on dirt) following me. At that speed, the vehicle goes up most (even fairly steep) hills in 5th gear, even when towing my camping trailer.

On a trip to the KTFP and Mabuasehube, in thick hot sand (not towing) my worst consumption was 14,52lt/100 (6,89km/lt).

I now have 285/70 x 17 MTR tyres fitted. I will have to see how these tyres affect fuel consumption, power on the road at 110kph and hill climbing ability on the highway.

I am not at all unhappy with my Patrol's fuel consumption...
Last edited by mvcoller on 21 Oct 2020 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

Malcolm!! I am a diesel fan but the sums to change to a diesel just does not make sense.

I now have the Petrol and that's that. I do see a 4.2 SC in my future.

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”