Browne Davis Long Range Fuel Tanks

Relating to fuel tanks, long range, fuel type, fuel filters and other fuel related queries
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Browne Davis Long Range Fuel Tanks

Post by Tinus lotz »

Only guys happy with those sa tanks are the guy selling it to you .to many stories on cracks and damages . I will get those from aus or stick to standard
Kirbster
Full Name: Hugh Kirby
Nickname: Hugh
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: 2014 Nissan Patrol GRX 4800
Home Language: English

Post by Kirbster »

Mad Manny wrote: 24 Mar 2021 08:35 Just out of interest, I was at Northern Off-Road in Strijdom Park yesterday.

Northern Off-Road made their name doing Long Range/Auxiliary fuel tanks.

I mentioned that Brown-Davis were now in SA.
The son said he had never heard of Brown-Davis.
The PA started doing a google search and confirmed I was right.
The father (& founder) came out and said "Yes, but the tanks are imported from Australia".

When I pointed out that a Brown-Davis tank can run you over R32k, he said, "That sounds right, it's in line with what we charge."
Thanks Mannie!

Good to know this information regarding SA tanks and comparative pricing.

The build quality on the BD tanks is very good. You can see that their tanks have been around for many years and have been thoroughly tested because you can see where they have strengthened the tanks at various points where the stresses are the highest. When my tanks were fitted the guys from R&D said that the tanks used up almost all available space under the Troll, which is exactly what you want, especially at that price.
- Previous 4x4: 2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 dCI AT. ARB Suspension and ARB Rear Locker.
- Currently Towing: 2017 Conqueror Comfort Trailer with factory mounted bush awning.
- YouTube: "Simple Life Overlanding"
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

mvcoller wrote: 26 Apr 2020 14:57 In both my Terrano and my GQ Patrol I had second (aux) tanks fitted, the one in the Terrano was built and fitted by Gerbers on the East Rand and the one in the GU (65lt) I made up in cardboard and duct tape myself and I made sure it fitted so as to make maximum use of available space.

I had Uys of Stofpad Products laser cut, bend and weld it up for me from the cardboard sample provided. He designed the baffles for me. I fitted and plumbed this one myself and with the 149lt Northern Offroad super large replacement main tank that I fitted a year earlier, my GQ had a 210lt plus fuel tank....
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but what was the cost for the 65l sub tank?
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

SJC wrote: 14 Jan 2022 22:48
mvcoller wrote: 26 Apr 2020 14:57 In both my Terrano and my GQ Patrol I had second (aux) tanks fitted, the one in the Terrano was built and fitted by Gerbers on the East Rand and the one in the GU (65lt) I made up in cardboard and duct tape myself and I made sure it fitted so as to make maximum use of available space.

I had Uys of Stofpad Products laser cut, bend and weld it up for me from the cardboard sample provided. He designed the baffles for me. I fitted and plumbed this one myself and with the 149lt Northern Offroad super large replacement main tank that I fitted a year earlier, my GQ had a 210lt plus fuel tank....
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but what was the cost for the 65l sub tank?
It was not all that expensive as I designed it and made sure it could fit in the available space. He just sourced the correct grade of stainless steel, had it cut, added baffle plates and had it welded together.

This was in about 2011, I can't remember exactly, but think it came to maybe R3.5k?

It had no brackets to bolt it in place, it was fitted with steel strap hangers, so the chances that it would crack was virtually nil.
BaasWiets
Full Name: Wietsche Swanepoel
Nickname: Wiets
Home Town: Delmas
Current 4x4: Nissan Hardbody
Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by BaasWiets »

Ek het n excell long range tank op my hardbody vir 11jaar ook van stainless steel was al n paar keer Lesotho toe nog geen krake nie hy is nog sharpies as die ding ordentlik gebou word sal dit nie kraak nie.

Return to “11b. Fuel Related”