Full Name: Stephen
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Somerset West
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GL 3.0L
Home Language: English

3.0L TD GL 4x4

Post by Stephen22 »

Good day All.

I am possible going to buy a new 3.0L TD GL 4x4, is this a good buy, I am worried that a 3.0L engine for such a big car will be a bit of a donkey.
Can anyone give me some sort of an idea what fuel consumption this Patrol gets? I have been told it is very good in that department but im worried this is just sales talk.
I have read that this engine on the older Patrols they called them the "Hand Grenades" has this issue been solved.

Any info would really be much appreciated.
miner
Full Name: PJC
Nickname: miner
Home Town: Farm Umeiss (Southern Namibia) and Rivonia
Current 4x4: Patrol3.0 CRD

Re: 3.0L TD GL 4x4

Post by miner »

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum.

I am on my third 3.0l which I bought new last year in late November. Have only done 15 000 kms so far but I can say the fuel consumption is better than my previous one (a 2008) and I seem to be getting about 11 l/100 kms compared to a little more than 14.

The Patrol seems slightly more powerful and quieter and strangely a little more comfortable then the last one.

In my 2008 model I did 100 000kms with no problems at all, it was just serviced regularly at the dealers half the mileage was done off-road and at least 5 000kms in low range.

I have had a "hand grenade" as model before my 2008 was a 2001 GLX 3.0. It had endless problems with going into "limp" mode and the engine eventually blew up on 120 000kms, I replaced the engine with a Nissan "reman" one but the limp mode problem was never solved so traded it on the 2008 one.

By all accounts the so called hand grenade issue was resolved in 2003 and 3.0 Patrols after that date have had no problems and that has certainly been my experience.

As for performance I can assure you will have no problems, granted its not a GTR but you will comfortably cruise at the speed limit up hill and down dale. Off-road its unmatched.

You will not regret buying it, its a good solid reliable vehicle which will not let you down, there are no bells and whistles or fancy stuff but somehow when you are driving one your are confident that you could do anything.

Miner
Stephen22

Post by Stephen22 »

Thanks Miner, that is exactly what I wanted to know. So there will be another Patrol on the roads very soon.
Cooper
Full Name: Jason Cooper
Nickname: Jason
Home Town: Warmbad
Current 4x4: 2014 Patrol 3.0 GL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Cooper »

Hi Stephen,

I got a new one in December and was quite impressed with the power from the 3 litre.
Cruzing allmost 140 km/h and using aircon I stil get 8km/l.

Decide why you want the car, and if the minimum electronic setup fits your requirements - you'll get the
best 4x4 available.

All the best
WOULD YOU DIE FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE?
Stephen22

Post by Stephen22 »

HI Cooper, I am wanting to take the family into Botswana, Camping etc. Fancy electronics are not important to me, as long as it has aircon comfortable seat, and doesnt break down then Im a happy camper.
I have been told buy the salesman at Nissan that the price is R529,900 for the 3.0L TD GL 4x4 but on the nissan website the price for the 3.0L TD GL 4x4 is R670,000 so Im not sure what to make of this. According to the Nissan website there are only two models to choose from and thats the 3.0L Diesel or petrol. Does R529,900 sound right?
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

HI Stephen

Those are the same reasons I bought the car and I must tell you I am really happy.
I also got a good discount but not as much as that. I think they might be fazing out the current models, so if you can get it for 530k I suggest you jump at it immediately.
And yes they are only the two models.

Enjoy
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Stephen22 wrote:HI Cooper, I am wanting to take the family into Botswana, Camping etc. Fancy electronics are not important to me, as long as it has aircon comfortable seat, and doesnt break down then Im a happy camper.
I have been told buy the salesman at Nissan that the price is R529,900 for the 3.0L TD GL 4x4 but on the nissan website the price for the 3.0L TD GL 4x4 is R670,000 so Im not sure what to make of this. According to the Nissan website there are only two models to choose from and thats the 3.0L Diesel or petrol. Does R529,900 sound right?
In SA the 3D manual and the 4.8 auto are the only models you can choose from.
If you want to buy new then the price you mention is reasonable.
3D model available in SA is a GL model compared to the 4.8 that has the GRX specs. So the 3D has less electronics.

I would try Roodepoort's Nissan too though.
Talk to Theuhan, he is a forum and club member.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Stephen22

Post by Stephen22 »

Hi Alex, thanks for the info, I will give them a call and see what they have to offer.
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

HI everyone

I just spoke to a Nissan dealer in Pretoria, apparently he spoke to someone at Nissan recently and the person assured him that the new Patrol will not be brought to South Africa they will stick with the current model and the price R693k for the diesel.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Guys, ignore the Nissan South Africa list price. This time last year I bought a new 4.8 GRX for R530k (okay, the dealer wanted R580 to start with) whereas Nissan's official list price was R700k odd (+ IIRC).

Return to “03. FAQs”