Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Oxygen Sensors, MAF sensor?

Post by Kagiso II »

Blitzpatrollie wrote:Haha!! Wou nou net se... Ek vermoed my siel word nou bietjie uitgetrek hier... :rolling:

Se my gou, die MAF sensor, kan ek Electrokleen (Contact Spray) gebruik om dit skoon te spuit?
ELECTROKLEEN is the only contact spary u should use -- BUT Carb Cleaner also works -- DO NOT use "Wynns'" -- it leaves a layer -- Spanjaard seems to clean best

[Try it on a clean mirror -- the see the diff]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Blitzpatrollie
Full Name: Gavin Kukard
Nickname: Gavin
Home Town: Croc Valley Conservancy, Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 2003 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX Auto (Gold)
Home Language: English

Post by Blitzpatrollie »

Hi guys,

Okay I watched a vid today explaining how to test your O2 sensors, very easy, link is here:

Anyway, after the %&$* bastards at Nissan Nelspruit told me my sensors were checked and are ok, I decided to check them myself as I was sure my patrol was overfuelling. Turns out both were stone dead, one's wires were even without insulation anymore, so ZERO signal getting to ECU from that one, other one reached a max on 0.2V where they should get to 0.9 to 1.0V. Anyway, I went to Bosch Diesel, and bought 2 universal sensors from them, but here's the catch, and the purpose of this post:

The ones you get at Bosch, are 4-wire, the ones that come off the troll are 3 wire. They told me the 3-wire we'll only get from the stealers. Anyway, the 4-wire sensor works. The extra wire (grey in colour), is just an external ground which I soldered together (one each from each sensor), then to a single wire lead to earth on one of the component mounts in the engine bay. The 2 white ones join to 2 white on the new sensors, and black to black. Simple as that.

Thought I'd let you guys know so you don't get disheartened and go buy from the dealers for like R7k per pair.

We need to get innovative on checking and solving our own issues guys, and sharing results. I went to Steves Auto in Nelspruit and was told I need a chip and freeflow. WTF!?

Engine idles much smoother with new sensors installed, will test drive to town tomorrow, and run a few tanks to see if consumption improves any. After cleaning MAF sensor and reversing the PVA mod, my consumption (for highway only on this occasion) ran 6.46km/l over 560km. Felt great, tank was on half after 560km!! :)

Cheerio guys

Gav
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

Thanks for the info...
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JoshJ »

Blitzpatrollie wrote: 07 Nov 2013 21:05 Hi guys,

Okay I watched a vid today explaining how to test your O2 sensors, very easy, link is here:

Anyway, after the %&$* bastards at Nissan Nelspruit told me my sensors were checked and are ok, I decided to check them myself as I was sure my patrol was overfuelling. Turns out both were stone dead, one's wires were even without insulation anymore, so ZERO signal getting to ECU from that one, other one reached a max on 0.2V where they should get to 0.9 to 1.0V. Anyway, I went to Bosch Diesel, and bought 2 universal sensors from them, but here's the catch, and the purpose of this post:

The ones you get at Bosch, are 4-wire, the ones that come off the troll are 3 wire. They told me the 3-wire we'll only get from the stealers. Anyway, the 4-wire sensor works. The extra wire (grey in colour), is just an external ground which I soldered together (one each from each sensor), then to a single wire lead to earth on one of the component mounts in the engine bay. The 2 white ones join to 2 white on the new sensors, and black to black. Simple as that.

Thought I'd let you guys know so you don't get disheartened and go buy from the dealers for like R7k per pair.

We need to get innovative on checking and solving our own issues guys, and sharing results. I went to Steves Auto in Nelspruit and was told I need a chip and freeflow. WTF!?

Engine idles much smoother with new sensors installed, will test drive to town tomorrow, and run a few tanks to see if consumption improves any. After cleaning MAF sensor and reversing the PVA mod, my consumption (for highway only on this occasion) ran 6.46km/l over 560km. Felt great, tank was on half after 560km!! :)

Cheerio guys

Gav

Blitzpatrolie,

Wat was jou findings na jy hom gery het toe. Ek wil my CO2 sensors ook vervang weens die heuwige petrol reuk by die exhaust. En die kar idle ook ongelyk, veral as hy koud is.
Kan jy dalk die part nommer onthou van die boch CO2 sensors.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua

Return to “09. Engines”