Christiaan
Full Name: Christiaan de Wet
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Kameeldrift
Current 4x4: Nissan 3.0d 2005
Home Language: Afrikaans

4.2 Patrol Station Wagon Lwb Petrol.

Post by Christiaan »

Hi. I am new to the forum. Had a 2 door 3.0 V^ Patrol bakkie (1991) then a Sani and since then made the mistake of bying a Toyota 3.0Tdi Legend and a 280DT Isuzu :thumbdown: . Am driving the 3.)Td Nissan Super Cab with chip etc at the moment. I am considering buying a 1996 Patrol 4.2 Station Wagon LWB for 50k. The dealer dropped the price from 70k to 50k over the past 4 months or so. It is an ex Vryburg Patrol wit 360 000km on the clock. On a 30km test drive it revealed a stuck thermostat. (The temperature went half way between normal and red) The rest of the engine seems fine. I opened the oil cap when idling and the revs dropped a bit. The oil look fine and the water also. All the gears and clutch seems to be ok. I dont mind spending a few bucks on it. We want to fit this vehicle for our planned trip in 2014 to Caprivi, Zambie and Mana Pools. At home I will be using it for towing the caravan to George and the Kruger. Who can tell me what to look for and what to expect. My budget allows for 5kpl fuel consumption. Greetings Chris
Attachments
Patrol.jpg
Patrol.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: 4.2 Patrol Station Wagon Lwb Petrol.

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome Christiaan

Firstly, chech that everything works, and all the normal stuff when buying an old car (like rust, accidents etc).

Make sure you check all the 4x4 bits, especially the diff lock. The solenoids fail frequently if not used often, but that can be sorted. However a malfunctioning solenoid can lead to very expensive mechanical damage.

If the clutch is still original, it has lasted well and could well be on it's last legs, so check that carefully too, as it's a hellova job.

The rest should all be pretty much OK, but a compression tes has never hurt anybody?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Sounds like a bargain check the viscus also and front axle service on binfield joints might be needed
DawidT
Full Name: Dawid Taljaard
Nickname: Dawid
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: 2010 Nissan Patrol 4800 GRX,
Nissan Patrol 4.2l GQ
Volkswagen Caravelle 4 Motion
2018 Toyota Landcruiser V8 DC

Post by DawidT »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum, you will certainly find a huge amount of knowledge and assistance here :oldtimer: . I Owe a 4.2 SGL petrol. It is an excellent vehicle and bullet proof. I only had to replace the clutch, all water hoses and radiator fan blade (old one started cracking) currently just over 260 000km on the clock, other than that no issues at all. It could be on the heavy side when it comes to fuel consumption. I got in the region of 4 to 4.5km/l when towing a heavy offroad trailor to Botswana and back, But there are other people getting better reults than what I got, all depends on your driving style. Maybe there is someone on the forum staying close by and could also go and have a look at the Patrol you want to buy, a second oppinion is always great. R50 000 sound like a bargain to me, I paid R65 000 for my SGL. have a look on the forum, a while ago there was a threat on what people paid for their similar Patrols.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Post by IanT »

Hi Chris

I agree with the others, the other things I would check are electric windows, all the water pipes, vaccume pipes, that the coils have not sagged ect. I have just upgraded to the 4500 GU so mine will also be coming onto the market soon, 1994 model with 180000km on the clock, just replaced all the leather on the seats DVDs in the headrests, duel battery system with lots of additional plugs, Bull bar, Roof rack ect ect may or may not have the winch if Peter can get it to fit my GU, Regards IanT
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Christiaan kyk miskien ook na Ian se lorrie afhangende waarvoor hy hom natuurlik in die mark gaan sit

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Christiaan
Full Name: Christiaan de Wet
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Kameeldrift
Current 4x4: Nissan 3.0d 2005

Post by Christiaan »

Sjoe! Dankie vir al die raad. Ek sal wag vir die regte een dan, miskien Ian sin. Dit klink die moeite werd.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Post by IanT »

Hi Chris, I have the big boss arriving this afternoon, and then I leave for KZN on Sat will be back the following Wed, should know what is happening by then. Will try and post a pic of my Troll if I can figure out how!! Anyone help on how to post a pic??????
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Ian, when you are creating a post, underneath the window in which you are typing you will see two flags, namely "options" and "upload attachment". Click on that, then click on "browse", find the pic on your PC, click on "add the file". Once uploaded, get your curser to where you want the pic and "insert attachment".
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Ian I have send you a PM

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”