Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Maus en 4.8

Post by AndriesS »

Is there any 4.8L owner who had a conversion done by maus? And the results?
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Re: Maus en 4.8

Post by Saltman »

Now here is an interesting question!

I hope we get some takers as it would be nice to be able to compare the Maus conversion to the unichip and freeflow exhaust combination.

Herbie
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

what are you planning to do?
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Herbie - that is what MAUS does ... Dastek chip & free flow & cams ... same as VanderLinde and SAC and the others - Some minor differences here and there - and work quality ... and precision ---
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Saltman

Post by Saltman »

Hi Oom Mac

AH!
Thanks, I was under the impression that Maus do the classic performance gains: porting, gas flowing, larger valves, cams, fueling etc ...
If they do chip & tune, then a comparison is not going to serve my needs!

FRANS, waa's jy ... ek moet weer met jou kom gesels oor die voor en nadele van 'n chip ... !

I am scared that with a chip & tune the 4.8 will run too lean when working hard (towing at speed etc) ... with the associated long term damage - head damage etc
... or the flip side, waste even more fuel ...

What say the guys who have 4.8 chips? Worth it? How do the gains manifest themselves? Better economy, more power & torque ... ? :think:
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
arnoldh
Full Name: Arnold Human
Nickname: Arnold
Home Town: Upington
Current 4x4: 2011 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by arnoldh »

Hi Saltman

I am also scared. I did the powerflow, but also added a roofrack to the mix and it did not make one km/l difference. I get barely 4.0km/l to work and back and 4.5km/l on the long haul.

Everybody told me not to do the chip due to the damage, and apparently it does not work so well on a petrol?.

I am not at all technical and the fuel consumptionis the single most frustrating thing about driving a Patrollie!

Cheers
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Arnold, jou brandstof verbruik is uitermatig hoog. Dit klink vir my asof jy met 'n ander fout iewers in jou sisteem sit. Ek weet nie of dit sal sin maak nie, maar probeer om 'n ander ECU en TCM te leen, in te sit en kyk wat die voertuig doen. (Dalk ook sensors) Ek het 'n tyd gelede een van elk aan Sias verkoop. Dalk het hy hulle nog.

Die standaard 4.8 se verbruik behoort beter te wees as die standaard 4.5. Jy behoort nie minder as 5km/l in verkeer te kry nie, en minstens 5,5km/l op die oop pad. Terloops, ek kry met my 4500EFi Cruiser, ingesluit dakrak en IM suspensie, 5,5km/l in die stad en ek het verlede naweek Kimberley toe en terug @ 120km/h (speedo cruise GPS spoed en afstand) presies 6km/l gekry. Ja, ek het 'n chip en FF uitlaatstelsel in, maar nogtans...die 4500EFi Cruiser is bekend dat hy swaarder is op sous as die Patrol 4.5.
Patrol fan!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Fuel consumption is to High. My 4.8 is my daily drive (24km's to work) and I get 5.6 km/l and open road with roofrack etc... up to 6.5km/l Towning my offroad trailer I get 5.5 km/l. Your one option is to look at your maf.
Saltman

Post by Saltman »

Whoa!

Lets just compare apples with apples here please!

I am assuming the 4.8's that get 5,5 urban and 6-6,5 km/l open road are automatics without roofracks and no towing?

My MANUAL 4.8GL only achieved 6,5 km/l ONCE in its lifetime with me and that was at 120 km/h (GPS) from Rustenburg to CT on the acquisition trail ... The reason being that the GL turns the engine at 3000 RPM at 120 km/h in 5th whereas the autos are closer to 2200 - 2400 RPM I believe. However that rev range makes for brilliant towing! Stick it in 5th and leave it there! :thumbup:

Since that initial trip I sooooo much enjoy that straight 6, that consumption takes a backseat. Mods include bumpers front and rear, 2" OME suspension lift, 33" MT tyres, etc, which add up on the consumption scale. Also did the 63mm freeflow exhaust and that sound is fantastic!
Last year's Botswana tour consisted of a full Patrol (5 in the family), roofrack and towing an Imagine Trailvan. This is significant as we camp self sufficient, so everything including the kitchen zink (in the trailer ... he he he) is onboard for 4 weeks. The result at 130 km/h (GPS) on the open road (Ghanzi to Gobabis to Windhoek to Noordoewer to Cape Town) was 4,39 km/l on average. To me that is in CTM territory ... (not too shabby hey Nige ...) as the car in this configuration is not exactly a symbol of aerodynamics! Worst consumption on the trip was 3 km/ fully loaded in the Moremi and Savuti plowing through heavy sand and water ...

So I fill up and drive!!! At least I get there and back home without worries ... unlike my diesel touring mates ... although to be fair, only the one diesel had fuel problems (cracked tank = dirty fuel, contaminated fuel in Kang etc), the other diesel (make will remain anonymous) had suspension and later gearbox problems ...

What can I say, I still enjoy the 4.8, but thanfully it is not my everyday ride!
I am still wondering though - if I continue with my existing driving style, will a chip be more economical?
Saltman:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Gents I may be speaking out of turn here, but it is my understanding that any or all of these tuning shops will give you any mod you are prepared to pay for. Thus they would normally start with a chip, and possibly a free-flow, and head work etc. would be a "stage 2 conversion" or words to that effect.

Further, as far as I understand a chip just allows the tuner to change certain parameters, and what parameters are changed and to what extent they are changed is up to the tuner. Thus you could put in a chip and see no difference at all, or you could blow the engine in a week, it all depends on what the tuner has done. So the results of a chip are down to the experience and skill of the tuner, as well as your brief to him? Frans (and others) knows much more about this than I do though.

Further, a head job would not come to full fruition if a chip was not used, and again the skill and experience of the person doing the work can have a large effect on the results.

However as JG often says, the manufacturer has spent millions creating a system that works as well as possible over a wide range of conditions. Modify at your peril. Remember that when the 4.8 was designed, economy was already a major consideration.

However there are components of the system (most significant probably the MAF) which get dirty from use and then effect such factors as fuel consumption negatively. It may well be worth getting them cleaned every 100 000km?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “09. Engines”