Bushedman
Full Name: Nicholas Bischoff
Nickname: Nick
Home Town: Knysna
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GR Y60-U 1994 Petrol Auto
Home Language: English

1994 Patrol (English import)

Post by Bushedman »

Hello my new friends or hopefully friends to be, I have only just bought a not so carefully preserved Nissan Patrol (Y60?) 1994 petrol 4.2 automatic, mechanically as far a major stuff goes she seems to be good but there are lots of little problems that I am starting look at so I guess I am chucking my hat in first and hope I can follow with a little help from my new friends, the Patrol Gang.

1st thing I need is a good manual & a good Patrol Tech I can talk to when necessary, can either be had?

For my first parts needed, I need to replace the three windscreen etc washer pumps, urgent one being the windscreen, cant see through dusty windscreen when driving into the sun.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Nick (bushedman)
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 1994 Patrol (English import)

Post by Stefan »

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum. How about some pics?

Whereabout are you located?
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Welcome Nick, I have a manual for you but are in Kempton Park.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

:welcomewave: Nick.
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
Delbono
Full Name: Ernst Dinkelmann
Nickname: Ernst
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2 GR SE (Y60) 1995

Post by Delbono »

Hallo Nick

Welcome to a forum where you'll find the right expertise (myself exlcuded, I am here to learn and share where I can).

I imported a Y60 GR 4.2 Petrol from Scotland a few months ago. Thus far I have realised that it is a wonderful 4x4, which is comfortable, capable off-road, loves drinking petrol and second hand parts are hard to come by. Still love it

I have tried various scrap yards in the pta area with no luck as yet. My next option, and something I will give a go is to buy on UK Ebay and then import. I have not requested any quotes from Nissan as yet for new parts, as I hear that they are crazy with the prices.

You'll also realise that most little things can be fixed in some or other way - it all just needs a little time.

I hope we will not bid up the prices of the parts because demand now increases (2 GR's). To the others - are there any other GR's here?

Welcome
Ernst
Mammoth
Full Name: Johan Botha
Nickname: JB
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5GRX

Post by Mammoth »

Welcome Nick......
JB

(Mammoth)
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Nick
I drive a 1996 4.2 Mamual, which although the chassis plate says "made in South Africa" is unknown to the local agents. Thus they insist that if you purchase parts (which they generally do not have in stock and must order) you pay 100% non-refundable deposit, which is flipping irritating (almost as irritating as the prices they charge for spares) but I have done this several times now and so far I have always been lucky enough to get the right part.

Spares from other sources are hard to find, but sometimes you get lucky. Somebody on this forum has found starter motors from Breno parts in JHB. Windscreens are available from some of the glasfit places. Engine parts can usually be sourced from Masterparts in Bellville (speak to Dean) and I got a carb kit from Carb City in JHB.

Also there is a lot of parts interchangebility between the various models, for example the radiator fan and viscous appear to be identical between the 4.2 and 4.5. The chassis is basically the same from the 4.2 right through to the 4.8, with extra members being added in the nose section on the later cars. Even the pickup uses basically the same chassis, but with extenders at the back and different spring mounts etc.

I also beleive that things like the windscreen washer pump you require are almost certainly not unique to the Patrol, so where possible take a sample to a helpfull guy at the local spares shop (usually one of the older more experienced gentlemen) and try not to mention the word Patrol?

At least the basic mechanicals are relatively basic, and thus most mechanics should be able to figure it out.

Anway, good luck and happy Trolling.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Bushedman
Full Name: Nicholas Bischoff
Nickname: Nick
Home Town: Knysna
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GR Y60-U 1994 Petrol Auto

Post by Bushedman »

Hi again Peter, still trying to find my way around the site and so I thought I was answering earlier but it may be in hyperspace somewhere so having stumbled onto you full reply, an even bigger thanks.

Your tips are valued as it would seem as though the spares prices make the Patrol a "high maintenance babe", all ladies please forgive the analogy.

I am sure we will be talking again, in the meantime enjoy life.

regards, Nick
Overdrive
Full Name: Rod Crompton
Nickname: Rod
Home Town: Jhb
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL

Post by Overdrive »

Nick
You can get manuals from Motor Books in Jan Smuts Ave Johannesburg. Ive had a 94' troll for 6 years now so parts are not such a big issue - its more the time it takes to find the cheap ones. For fuel consumption find someone who really knows how to dyna tune - it pays for itself pretty quickly.
Patrol 4.2 SGL
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

You can buy a Haynes Repair manual for the 1988-1997 Patrol manual for R268 at Loot.co.za

http://www.loot.co.za/product/tim-imhof ... m-150-g700
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”