Looking for some wisdom and advice !

Please read this first if you are new to the forum
Craig Lord
Full Name: Craig Lord
Nickname: Craig
Home Town: Tuli Block
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX Nissan Patrol (sold)
Home Language: English

Looking for some wisdom and advice !

Post by Craig Lord »

Hello everyone

My name is Craig and I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this post is not in the correct place. :imsorry:

I currently drive a toyota Hilux Surf 3.0l 1KZ-TE. It's a jap import which I bought while living in Botswana. It's a legendary vehicle but it's time to upgrade. My Mrs and I live for touring and safaris, we do one every year and although we only average about 10 000km a year at least 3000km are done in the bush.

My dilemma a this:

I have spent at least 35 total hours or more researching the best touring vehicle with a budget of R250k max.
Everything pointed to two vehicles: Nissan Patrol 4.8 and the LC 76 series but the 4.2 (V8 is out of my budget). Now I have found 2 vehicle is the price range.

The patrol is a 2008 Y61 4.8 with all the extras you could hope for.
It's done 160 000km

The cruiser 76 also has all the camping extras you could dream of and has only done 111 000km and is a 2010. This is obviously the most expensive at 25k more than the patrol.

Now my heart REALLY REALLY wants the patrol, I always have. But I'm worried that now that the Y61 has been discontinued and they are relatively few in number here I'm scared that while I'm on tour in a country north of S.A something will break and I'm be stuck unable to find spares anywhere. Is this a genuine concern?

Now the cruiser parts are more than likely to be found under nearly every stone in the bush no matter where you are but for the price you get way less vehicle.

So, can you guys please tell me honestly what you would do if it was your money and you are planning to keep this vehicle for years and years?

Thank you loads in advance.
Craig
When in doubt throttle out !

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)

Re: Looking for some wisdom and advice !

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Welcome here Craig.

I think there's no question that the Patrol is a more comfortable, more capable vehicle, however its fuel consumption is not... favourable
I'm a patrol guy, but in this instance, given your application, and only those two choices, I'd go for the cruiser for only one reason: Fuel consumption.
There's plenty of spares available for the Y61's, don't worry about that.

If I were you I'd give yourself more time and look for a patrol in 4.2 diesel.

Speak to Tinus Lotz. If there's a patrol for sale anywhere, he probably knows about it.
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Hi Anthony

Thank you for the response, good to know that spares aren't in short supply. I'll certainly take this advise into consideration. I'm still waiting for the cruiser guy to get back to me on my offer so we will see if I can do it. If not I'll be a proud owner of a patrol in the next 2 weeks.

The fuel consumption with the patrol is high but it's not the cost that a pain it's the range that becomes an issue because you can never be too far away from the filling station haha

It seems like everyone says that once you get used to it you love the patrol.

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

That price seems low for a cruiser with that mileage?
And the patrol you could probably get the price even lower.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry too much about parts for a patrol on a trip. Nothing is going to break.

Both vehicles are great though. Drive them both and decide. I’ve never been in a 76 cruiser before, but I imagine a patrol is much more comfortable.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome Craig.

Which countries do you tour? Patrols are more common in Swaziland, Bots, Moz and probably even Nam than here. I have no idea about Zim and they are scarce in Lesotho.

I do not expect spares to become unobtainable, but it is possible that we may have to go to a bit morr trouble. Already we have two guys on the forum who import smaller parts from Auz.

The Cruiser is a far simpler vehicle, as the engine is an old-fashioned mechanical, but by looking at an older patrol you can get the same technology if that is what you want.

The Patrol is more spacious, far far more comfortable and has a much stronger drivetrain.

I would not even look at the cruiser.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Jip i agree with Piet ...spares are no problem and if you look after your car you souldnt have a problem ...the un prefers them for a reason ...we have 2 very good 4.8 avalable if you want to take a look
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Good evening Tinus and Peit

Thank you for the replies.

We travel southern Africa mostly so all the countries that you mentioned. I would certainly like to have a look at those vehicles in order to increase my options, thank you for letting me know!

I've heard from a lot of cruiser advocates saying that it's better but when I ask what they know about the patrol they say they don't really know anything so it's completely.

Really I think this is a decision of a personal nature rather than anything else. Please send me the details of those other vehicle when you have time, it will be much appreciated.

Thank you again. This forum has been very helpful.
:clap:

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Yes it is a personal choice, and each to his own.

But I must say, the response of "it's better", yet also admitting they "don't really know anything" of the Patrol, is an all too familiar tale of arrogance and ignorance from the advocates of said manufacturer.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Hi Craig
I am "Oom Mac" I do Mission Outreach all over Southern Africa [Botswana mostly] I ONLY will use NISSAN .. I had a Prado for a while, but it brike down more than it went I got rid of it on 82,000 km and now again have a PATROl [4,2 diesel, which gives me endless problems]
BUT they keep their value amazingly ..
The GQ, 3 models back, now sells for almost twice than what I sold mine for 4 years ago .. the Y61 will always be a sought after vehicle, as the GQ and GU are still scarce to be find on used car floors [or internet]
Will I buy a Patrol again ? my 1981 SAFARI [2,8 L engine] has 1,301,000 and still going. So yes I would .. I am just GATVOL with diesel and will switch to Patrol at the blink of an eye.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Just to clarify, and counter what Oom Mac said..... I have almost the identical 4.2 diesel Patrol ( Y61), that I drove home from Botswana with a hole in the number 2 piston a few weeks after i bought it. Simply put ... the injector was dripping and not spraying.... I rebuilt the motor myself ( I'm not a professional Mechanic ), and made sure everything was done perfect. Injector pump was sent to Bosch to set up and new injectors were bought. I have since done 130 000km with no problems or hiccups other than a dead battery, and the solenoid konking out on my winch from lack of use. These beasts are just that.... Beasts... incredibly strong and forgiving, so petrol or diesel you won't go wrong..... oh and the TD42 ( diesel ) runs on almost any fuel... I am currently on my 3rd tank of Bio Diesel and smiling all the way to the bank in my iron Maiden !!!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “01. Start Here”