Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Opinions on 98 Y61 4.2 non turbo

Post by Stefan »

WannabeTroll wrote: 25 May 2018 18:11 ...
Question on the turbo though. I was expecting a bit of a kick when the turbo kicked in. I intentionally changed up early through the gears and till about 3000 rpm it was a slow constant acceleration. Is there no noticeable kick when the turbo comes in?
From what Frans explained and I see on the Boost gauge, the turbo "pre-boosts" i.e. when driving 120km/h (5th) ~2,800 rpm on 285/75R16s the turbo boosts at about 1 bar so you have 'power' on hand. (Please note that I use the term 'power' very loosely)
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Stefan wrote: 28 May 2018 10:20
WannabeTroll wrote: 25 May 2018 18:11 ...
Question on the turbo though. I was expecting a bit of a kick when the turbo kicked in. I intentionally changed up early through the gears and till about 3000 rpm it was a slow constant acceleration. Is there no noticeable kick when the turbo comes in?
From what Frans explained and I see on the Boost gauge, the turbo "pre-boosts" i.e. when driving 120km/h (5th) ~2,800 rpm on 285/75R16s the turbo boosts at about 1 bar so you have 'power' on hand. (Please note that I use the term 'power' very loosely)
The pull you are looking for will depend on the turbo you have on the motor. On mine for example, I boost 0.8 bar. Most setups generally only have 0.5bar boost. On mine you feel the pull from 2000rpm, ok look its no "fast & Furious" whiplash feeling, but you can hear the revs pick up a lot quicker and you can feel the Patrol lurch forward. Whack the boost up to 1.2 bar, and you will think you are in "Fast & furious"..... :lol: :lol:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

On my builds I boost them between 0.8 and 1 bar and coasting at 120km/h I would say the boost is around 0.5 bar.
Max boost will be between 2,000rpm and 2,200rpm on the latest turbo's I use
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
ces
Full Name: Christoph Schulenburg
Nickname: Christoph / Schulies
Home Town: COLIGNY
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2D SGL Y61
Nissan Patrol 2.8l, 1985
VW Tiguan 2.0tdi, 2009
Home Language: Afrikaans/German

Post by ces »

Dagsê!

OK, I think you have enough technical advice! One thing I have learnt is that the okes on this forum are well informed, and not afraid to share their opinion. They are also not shy to help. :thumbup:

I bought my 1997 (probably imported) n/a 4.2D 18 months ago, "blind" - never saw it or drove it before I did.

I would say 2 things:
1) If nothing seriously bothers you, buy it. Hulle is so skaars soos hoendertande!
2) Fit a madman.

If it is too slow for you, have a proper turbo conversion done. Mine was done without opening the engine. But then, I was blessed with silvertop pistons (15.5mm material vs 10mm, like the turbo piston, but without cooling ports), and "the best sleaves in a n/a engine" Michael has ever seen. Like I say, blessed!

This is one hell of a tough engine. I overheated mine with a burst water pipe (before the madman). Before me, it undertook plenty of Southern African Trips (5-6000km trips), with dirty diesel and very muddy coolant water.

I have had to replace some things, all add-ons (like starter, radiator). But I firmly believe you buy an engine, first of all.

Read Jasper, my car's story here:
http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6815

Love my trol...

Sterkte met die besluit!
Christoph
"Sou die hand van die HERE te kort wees? Nou sal jy sien of my woord vir jou uitkom of nie." - Numeri 11,23

Return to “01. Start Here”