Portable Luna box and other questions

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Portable Luna box and other questions

Post by izakjbrt »

Well today I decided to treat the trolly a bit, except for the shocks and coils I also has a portable battery box installed. Now the guy that did it, misunderstood me a bit (he's a buddy and did it for free, I only supplied the components). But I wanted the battery box installed and then also a brad Harris plus outside to charge my trailer (which has a hcdp controller in it, its a wildebeest). So on the Navara I had a Harris plug outside which charged the trailer as I drove. Worked like a charm. But unfortunately he thought differently, so he installed the battery box, as well as the Harris plus outside. Which is fine. But, unfortunately, he did the setup in the way that I have to connect the cables to the auxiliary battery before the Harris outside will work (you will see in the pictures.

Now my first question....can I not just add a brad Harris to the cables running to the outside Harris plug, and then plug it in either on the side of the battery box if I want both to charge while I am driving, or just connect it to the cable charging the battery box (which also connects to the battery box with a Harris plug) if I don't want to take the battery box with?

Last question, anyone know of a nice little cover I can use to cover the opening where the wires come through into the back? I have the original cover but don't know if it will hold if I cut it in half
IMG_9803.JPG
IMG_9931.JPG
IMG_9964.JPG
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D
Home Language: English

Re: Portable Luna box and other questions

Post by graham1 »

Thats a bummer with that extra cable and connectors, but, could you not plug that cable into the output brad harrisson plug on the outside of the box rather than having those extra battery connections? (assuming you wont need that output when towing the trailer).

On the cover - I have the same battery box setup, we just cut a notch in the cover, seems to work fine.

This reminds me, I need to sort out my one - I thought I was clever and put a cranking battery in my box, thinking if my main battery dies in the bush then at least I have a spare. Well, that battery lasted 3 months. Granted, I did mess up and didnt use a trickle charger, but, they dont like to run flat, ie, a fridge running off it for a day and night, which mine did, and now its buggered.
fralanti
Full Name: Frits Adendorff
Nickname: Fralanti
Home Town: Bethal
Current 4x4: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by fralanti »

I don't understand the reason why you have a set of cables with clamps going in through the side of the box. Where is the other end of that set going?

Post by izakjbrt »

Don’t ask, don’t ask. But solved it. Bought a red BH plug, so if I pull the trailer the battery will not be used (as the trailer has it all). So will add a BH to the wires going to the trailer. So then I just connect them. When the trailer is not in use, I’ll disconnect the two red BH, and plug the one back into the battery.

Don’t know what he was thinking but he did it for free, and everything is working so
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Isak die beste manier vir daai systeem is as jy die twee rooi brad harrisons op n tee koppel voor die box sodat alles direk krag van alternator af het.
Miskien net seker maak dat jy fuses het van alle battery supplies af veral jou trailer ens
Maak ook seker die battery laai omdat daai nie systeem nie mooi werk vir iets anders as crank batteries nie....maar dis weer n ander een daai
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)
Home Language: English

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Like Tinus said:

1. Keep permanent alternator power to the battery box (1 BH plug to the battery box)

2. Run permanent alternator power to a BH plug at the rear bumper for the trailer supply.
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
izakjbrt

Post by izakjbrt »

Tinus lotz wrote: 27 May 2018 06:49 Isak die beste manier vir daai systeem is as jy die twee rooi brad harrisons op n tee koppel voor die box sodat alles direk krag van alternator af het.
Miskien net seker maak dat jy fuses het van alle battery supplies af veral jou trailer ens
Maak ook seker die battery laai omdat daai nie systeem nie mooi werk vir iets anders as crank batteries nie....maar dis weer n ander een daai
Jip

Dis wat gedoen het, nie battery clamps afgehaald, nog 'n rooi BH aangesit. Fuses voor van die trollie se battery af. So babies gaan ek wanneer ek sleep, die twee rooi BH koppel dan charge die battery after in die waentjie (deur 'n hcdp charger) wat kom van die alternator af. En wanneer ek nie sleep nie, is die battery box gekoppeld van die alternator af. Gou vanoggend getoetst en dit lek dalem af alles werk, wel niks het nog afgebrand nie.

Nou moet ek nog net 'n solar regulator kry dan kan ek dommer my solar panels vir die battery box ook gebruik
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Isak die probleem is die charge voltange en tipe battery ...sodra jou crank battery begin vol raak sien die alternator dit en die laai spanning val van 14v na 13.5 of daar rond so meeste smart batteries soek min van 14.8 tot 15v om oordentlik te laai soos lead crystal agm ens .
Op jou luna box is daar n output c/b wat keer dat die battery in n short kan voer kyk met of jou trailer ook n groot oorstroom sekering het onthou jy voer nou krag van 3kante in n moontlike fout in ...het al gesien wat gebeur met so iets en dis lelik.
Maar dis hoekom ons graag raad gee ....hoop dit help :salute:
izakjbrt

Post by izakjbrt »

Tinus lotz wrote: 27 May 2018 11:02 Isak die probleem is die charge voltange en tipe battery ...sodra jou crank battery begin vol raak sien die alternator dit en die laai spanning val van 14v na 13.5 of daar rond so meeste smart batteries soek min van 14.8 tot 15v om oordentlik te laai soos lead crystal agm ens .
Op jou luna box is daar n output c/b wat keer dat die battery in n short kan voer kyk met of jou trailer ook n groot oorstroom sekering het onthou jy voer nou krag van 3kante in n moontlike fout in ...het al gesien wat gebeur met so iets en dis lelik.
Maar dis hoekom ons graag raad gee ....hoop dit help :salute:
Sal bietjie kyk. My Navara het 'n kabel direk van die alternator na die waentjie toe gehad (die ovens van wildebeest het dit nog in geit). Dit het baie goed gewerkt. Die waentjie se charger cater daarvoor. Hy het een van die bad boys in

http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/index. ... duct_id=79
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Jy sien daai is n dc na dc toe ramp die charge voltage op ...ek sal jou wys hoe om daai luna box te jippo om hom te maak charge ....toe Piet getrou het op Kubu moes ek 4 karre se luna stelsels jippo omdat as die voltage laag is val hulle heeltyd uit

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”