Opinions on 98 Y61 4.2 non turbo

Please read this first if you are new to the forum
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Opinions on 98 Y61 4.2 non turbo

Post by Rudolph »

Peter Connan wrote: 23 May 2018 16:42 See if you can find an old Cruiser 4.2 pickup for sale in your valley, and take that for a test drive. The engines are very similar in terms of output and delivery, so it will give you a very good idea of how fast this will be.
When ever you in the Port Alfred/Bathurts area again you welcome to take my donkey for a spin, will be better than cruiser, better not to take you to the other side :lol: :think: QQQ
WannabeTroll
Full Name: Oz
Nickname: Oz
Home Town: East London
Current 4x4: Hilux
Home Language: Enbglish

Post by WannabeTroll »

Thanks Rudolph

I might very well take you up on that. Is there much difference in the Y60 and Y61 drivetrain? Heard one thing to also check are the axle seals I believe?! Not sure where to look. Perhaps I could check yours if that same.
Currently looking for a Y61 Patrol TD42.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Hi Oscar and welcome here.

Brake pads you can contact Marinus Potgieter on the forum, he is the local supplier of Terain Tamer parts an both front and rear goes fir less than R700 a set. They are great pads and no modification needed...... just fit and drive :thumbup:

Oils:
75w90 GL4 for the gearbox and transfer
75w90/80w90 or EPX90 GL5 for the diffs
Engine oil: Delo 400
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

WannabeTroll wrote: 23 May 2018 20:00 Is there much difference in the Y60 and Y61 drivetrain? Heard one thing to also check are the axle seals I believe?! Not sure where to look.
Practically no difference that you could notice on a test drive.

Y61 has slightly stronger axles and lost the facility to mount a PTO take-off on the main gearbox, and have a stronger 5th gear. Also, not really drive-train but the rear diff lock (if fitted, it's not fitted to Y60 diesels) is more tightly controlled. In the Y60, it can be engaged at any speed and in any gear. On the early Y61's, you have to be in 4x4, and in the newer ones, you have to be in low range.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
TijmenvdS
Full Name: Tijmen van der Steenhoven
Nickname: Tijmen
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1997 Patrol TD42 GQ ST
Chevrolet 1974 K10 402 V8

Post by TijmenvdS »

Welcome to the forum

I drive a Y60 (GQ) Turbo Diesel. I really like that vehicle. I have 35" on and have driven 20 000km during my ownership of 1 year. I put a turbo motor in within about 5000 km of my ownership. It has had 35" on the entire Turbo life and has a average fuel consumption of 6km/L. If I drive really badly in town and use the power I get 5.5km/L and openroad at 120km/h about 7km/L. Driving dirt roads at an average of 80km/h I get 8km/L.
I had a 4.5 Petrol Y61 (GU) on 31" tires and once got 6.2km/L rest of the time below 5km/L and it did not have that amount of power or nearly the fuel efficiency.

a Few pros and cons.
the diesel sounds as if there is a 13 socket somewhere in the sump, just how old diesels sound and then the turbo noise and free flow exhaust comes in and you just get a big smile :biggrin:
The diesel has to have an oil change every 5000km and filters (2 of them) every 10 000km
The GU has much better sound insulation so the engine noise would my much less.
I bought my vehicle at 400 000km on the engine and only changed the engine because a complete turbo engine came my way. Nothing wrong with the old motor and would have reached 1 Mil km.
I have broken the 2.7 Hilux a few times and have driven my Patrol much much harder than that.
My father has put 400 000km on his 2.7 Hilux and says the Patol drives much nicer and that was before the turbo motor.
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

A non turbo will be reliable as anything, but a very long relaxing trip where ever you travel.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yeah, regarding the brake pads and basically most spares you may ever really need you can get from Marinus Potgieter. Terrain Tamer parts that I have used is brake pads, radiator hoses and brake rotor discs. These are all imported from Australia and believe it of not WAY WAY ....oh did I mention WAYYYYYY cheaper than Nissan and actually in some cases cheaper than my local spares shop !!!! The other nice thing is you get it couriered to you. Well worth it, and the quality, in my opinion is 100%.

Definitively oil change every 5000km on these old school motors. I would also recommend doing an injector change or service ( about R500 / injector if I'm not mistaken, but Michael can give you better info on that). Use the Delo 400 oil. It works well with these motors. I have been using Shell Rimula for the last year, as my spares shop didn't have in stock at the time I needed. This oil also seems to work very well with my motor. I am NOT a fan of "High Milage" type oils like Magnatec etc. as I believe you will get a horrible sludge buildup .... but that is my opinion.....

I would definitively recommend taking up Rudolph's offer of a test drive.... just to plan when you want to do the turbo conversion.... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Check the back barn door for any crack on the vertical window pillar of the bigger barn door. And yes, give it a good eyeball for rust on the under carriage and gutter rails on the roof.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
WannabeTroll

Post by WannabeTroll »

Thanks cedric

I've been using Delo 400 for a couple of year now, so quite familiar with it and quite easy to get.

How many litres of each would it take? Assuming about 7-8 for the engine. Hope they not like the hilux's that have different sumps and I can't never remember which I have ...

Cheers
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

hmmmm.... the TD42's are thirsty for oil. Ok bare in mind mine has the turbo and an extra external oil cooler, so mine takes 12L per oil change. I would think that the N/A TD42 will be about 11-ish L, but not sure. I always buy 3 x 5L of oil to be sure. I like to drain the oil the night before I do the oil change, as it really drains the old oil out, and I do the unthinkable..... as soon as the oil stops running out the sump plug start the engine and as soon as the low oil light comes on I turn off the engine. I do this for 2 reasons. Firstly I like to know that the light/sensor is working, and secondly that drains a lot of the oil out of the 2 filters so there is almost no messy oil spilling out when I change the filters the next morning. When I start up after putting in the new oil, you can either disconnect the fuel cut solenoid wire while cranking the motor over for about 5 odd seconds a few times to get the oil circulating a bit. Then reconnect the solenoid wire to the Injector pump and start it up, and all should be well
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
WannabeTroll

Post by WannabeTroll »

Never thought to crank it over empty to empty the filters. That's a nice tip!

Return to “01. Start Here”