Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Kwaggasrus

Post by iandvl »

I took part in my daughter's primary school 4x4 day over the weekend. The event took place at a venue called Kwaggasrus, which is a little North of Moegatle out Brits side. It's not really a general public type place, as the venue primarily caters for school groups (sort of like veld school / school camp type stuff), although they do occasionally do private functions (I hosted my wife's birthday there a year or two ago). That said, they do have a 4x4 route, which I had never done until the weekend, and which I underestimated a little...

The route reminds me considerably of Moegatle, but it is probably not quite as difficult. That said, it's a technical route, and there are enough off-camber bits to rattle one to some extent. The route itself meanders in and out of the river bed, and the terrain is very much like the start of Moegatle - that undulating sand-stone type stuff one gets at the start of Moegatle. In short, very reminiscent of "Ou Ry Perd" - lots of cross axels. Being in the river bed, there are quite a bit of sand / mud bits as well as a few rocky sections, but definitely not as much rock as Moegatle.

We were a mixed bunch of vehicles - a bunch of stock bakkies, a Fortuner, some cruisers, some Suzuki SJ's, a few Jeeps, two Landy's and a few of the "pyp kar" type crawler vehicles. Oh - and one Patrol. :)

That said, despite being easier than Moegatle, it is a trixy trail. There are a few serious descents, and a few ascents which disappointed some drivers. Several vehicles did not make it up one of the ascents, although the Patrol just muscled through those and completed all obstacles. I think it impressed a bunch of people on the day.

As I was driving (and as always seems to be the case, I was on my own again), I've got absolutely no photographs of the route, although I did take a quick video of the second last obstacle - which was very tough - especially for a vehicle the size of the Patrol... Although one cannot quite see in the video, it is a very, very, very narrow "poort" through the sandstone type rocks, with mud, as well as a few horrific slopes to the sides. All in all, a very tricky obstacle to get through with a large station wagon. If you stay to far to the right, you'll scratch the cab on the right when slope on the left kicks in. If you're to far to the left, you'll scratch your vehicle on the left (I did snag the rear bumper going through). And then there are the axel twisters followed by a hellishly tight turn to the right to climb out again... This specific obstacle claimed a few victims - a SFA Hilux as well as a Suzuki bent steering rods here. And another Hilux took a slightly incorrect line and got pretty badly stuck in the axel twisters... After that, there is a water crossing before heading back to the camp.

The video is here:

I had a long chat with Eddie, the owner, and I'm sure I can probably organise a weekend there some time. Accommodation is chalet based, and there are swimming pools / similar. In any case, if there is some interest, let me know and I'll see what we can arrange.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Kwaggasrus

Post by Peter Connan »

Sounds good Ian!
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: George Brittnell
Nickname: georgeb
Home Town: Hartbeespoort
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by georgeb »

Morning Ian

Been there and driven the route many times - I have enjoyed it thoroughly every time.
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

sounds good and its just here...
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: George Brittnell
Nickname: georgeb
Home Town: Hartbeespoort
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by georgeb »

What I remember from the past was/is, is that the owners were very strict in terms of alcohol usage on the premises - not sure if this has changed in the recent past?
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

georgeb wrote: 16 Apr 2018 12:50 What I remember from the past was/is, is that the owners were very strict in terms of alcohol usage on the premises - not sure if this has changed in the recent past?
We had a few beers after the trail, and there were also no issues on the occasion that we had my wife's birthday there.

However, considering the nature of the place (ie: school camps / similar) I think it depends on whether there are any groups there at the time.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX