Alternator 101

bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Alternator 101

Post by bogeyman »

There is a lot of talk about alternators on different pages on the forum with a lot of assumptions and some untruths.
Here I will share what I know about 12v automotive alternators and how they function. If my facts are wrong , please correct them with factual proof.

An alternator consists of a rotor , stator , rectifier and voltage regulator and a set of brushes.
Mechanical components are two end plates , each housing a bearing. At the drive end is a pulley with cooling fan.

The rotor is a fast spinning electro magnet that is powered with an energising dc current from the regulator. There should be resistance between the two slip rings and the wind should be completely isolated from the shaft body.

The stator has three long isolated copper wires wound inside a soft metal housing fitting tightly around the rotor. At one end , the wires are connected together(starpoint) and at the other end (output) it is connected to the rectifier. When the rotor (magnet)turns inside the winding , alternating current is generated.
There should be equal resistance between the three open ends of the wind and completely isolated from the metal core.

The rectifier has three positive and three negative diodes mounted on a positive and a negative plate. It converts the alternating current from the stator to direct current suitable for charging a battery. The diodes get damaged with incorrect jump starting or a bad connection on the earth/ positive wire to the battery. On most modern alternators , the diodes can not be separately tested and the complete plate is replaced if faulty.

The voltage regulator measures the system (battery) voltage and then increases or decreases the energising current to the rotor through the brushes and slip rings. This changes the intensity of the electromagnet and as a result , the output current. It is usually energised by the small current from the dash warning light at start up and then draws current from the output when operational. The light goes out because the energising point becomes a positive when the alternator is in operation. Pre set parameters will cause the alternator to produce maximum amperes when the voltage is at a low limit (11v) and gradually reduce output until the system maximum voltage (14.5v) is reached. These are sealed electronic units and are replaced when suspect. Different voltage parameters are available , but most units are set to standard.

The alternator base must be properly connected to the negative pole of the battery through the engine bonding cable.
The positive output terminal must be directly connected to the positive terminal of the battery. No current should run when the engine is turned off.
The warning light (energising) wire becomes active when ignition is turned on.

To properly test function , a dc voltmeter and a dc amp meter is needed. The charge rate amps must be close to max output when battery is depleted from starting or winch activity and should gradually decrease as the battery becomes charged. When volts reach battery maximum , only 2 to 4 amps output is correct.
As components in the vehicle requires energy , the alternator will react and match the draw with equal recharge.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: Alternator 101

Post by Tinus lotz »

Dankie mr goeie info
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Post by bogeyman »

Upgrading an alternator usually only benefits the shop where you buy it.

Unless you have components in your vehicle that draws more than 50 % of the max output of the fitted alternator , no benefit is to be had from "upgrading.

Most high ampere components like starter motors and winches that use more power than the alternator can produce , will only be operational for short periods.
The alternator has the benefit of continuous operation and can replace the charge over an extended period with a slow charge rate. (better for the battery).
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

Very nice write up, thanks...

Anybody got any ideas where/who can supply water cooled alternators. I have seen a few offroaders do this conversion in Aussie, and the alternators seem to be nice high output units of around 120-190A. Main reason actually seems to save yourself the problem of water/mud eating up the traditional air cooled type, that is open to the elements.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

No worries, scrap that idea at the price...... https://perthdiesel.store/products/rapi ... alternator
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

davidvdm wrote: 13 Feb 2018 15:24 No worries, scrap that idea at the price...... https://perthdiesel.store/products/rapi ... alternator

:surprised:

Crazy!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

Tell me about it... I really like the idea. With the cooling it is possible to get a whole lot more out of the alternator without the heat problems. Seems VW and BMW use it extensively, but at that price :confused: Gees, I can buy about 10 alternators for my 2.7TD for R28K without shipping and import tax. And to do this conversion, I'll probably end up spending another R5k to install an electric vacuum pump for the brakes.

scrap that idea :doh:
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
Florian320
Full Name: Florian M.
Nickname: Flo
Home Town: Hoedspruit
Current 4x4: '99 GRX 4500
Home Language: German

Post by Florian320 »

Hi bogeyman,
I am considering buying a new alternator as my current one gives me between 15.1 and 15.9 Volts on higher revs (above 2500 roughly).
Could also the voltage regulator be broken? Where can I find it on my TB45E? Would it be in the alternator‘s casing?
Edit: I just realized that normally the voltage regulator should be part of the alternator itself. So I guess only a specialized person would be able to maintain it, correct?

Thanks for your advice!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Florian, the regulator is definitely part of the alternator, and it's also definitely the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately it's not the more modern type that just attaches to/from the outside of the alternator, so the alternator will have to be removed and repaired.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Florian320
Full Name: Florian M.
Nickname: Flo
Home Town: Hoedspruit
Current 4x4: '99 GRX 4500
Home Language: German

Post by Florian320 »

Thank you very much for the quick reply, Peter!

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”