Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: What tyre and tyre rotation

Post by ricster »

Alex, How did you find the KL71's?.... You had them on Witblits I think
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

I drove through Baboons at which time they were already 60-70% warn. That is a terrain that can cut tyres in the best of families.
I only cut a valve murr toe, but tyres made it.

I had to make one plug in Kaokoland in 2016.

Else generally very good grip.
It is still more of a trail tyre to me than an overlander though.
The reason why I am saying that is because of the wear. I think some of the harder tyres would have lasted longer on gravel roads, but it is a trade-off against better grip.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

SJC wrote: 19 Jan 2018 14:19 Kan nie sien hoe dit n impak op n versekerings eis sal he nie, tensy die spoed of vrag rating nie voldoende is nie.
Agreed!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

Peter Connan wrote: 19 Jan 2018 05:46
1) Hoe meer rubber die pad raak, hoe minder druk is daar omdat die gewig van die voertuig oor 'n groter area versprei word. Die twee kanseleer mekaar presies uit.
Dis iets wat gepuzzle het vir baie jare, nouer bande geen meer PSI drukking op die teer, Fat Takkies gee minder. Dis logies. Jou voertuig se gewig woord oor 'n groter oppervlakte versprei, so dit moet minder wees.

Of is dit!

Ek het die teenoorgestelde bewys, maar die bywys maak nie vir my sin nie, so beinvloed iets anders die resultaat.

Ek het 'n redilike ou (maar vinnige) sedan voertuig gehad, en soos ons maar in ons jonger dae was, het ek altyd verander en getoets. Om th kan toets, moet jy 'n "Control road" erens kry en die voor en na met mekaar vergelyk.

My stukkie pad was die N3 suid en dan vat ek die R24 afdraai, maat nie die R24 Oos nie, die R24 Wes, onder die R24 deur en dan deur daai omtrent 300 grade draai, Eastgate toe.

Met goeie "vars" 185/70 x 14 Michelins kon ek teen 80kph daar deur gaan, met bande wat huil en 'n voertuig wat net, net wil begin wegbreek. Ek het dit baie gedoen/getoets en 80- was die absolute lemiet...

Toe! Toe koop ek 17 rims en sit 215/40 x 17 Yokahamas op. Goed, die profiel het baie gehelp, maar met daai 30mm breer bande kon ek teen 120kph deur daai draai gaan. Eintlik sou ek vinniger kon gaan, maar die voertuig het nie krag gehad om vinniger dit te doen nie, Die weerstand vir 'n voertuig wat so teen spoed en swaartekrag stoei was die beperking. Nou praat ek van 'n voertuig wat op 'n reguit pad verby 200 kon hardloop.

In rem toetse, was die resultate die seldfe die 215s het in 'n baie kortter afstand, en korter tydsduur gestop. Ek praat nou van stop sonder om die remme te sleep. Ek kan nie nou presies die tye en afstande onthou nie, maar daar was 'n wesenlike verskil, maar die resultate het met my kop gesmokkel. Waar die nouer bande wel beter was met versnelling. Vanaf die wegtrek, maar ook van 40 to 80 of van 80 to 120 want die breer band het waarskynlik meet weerstand gehad as die nouer een.

So, ek weet nog steeds nie... Logika se een ding, maar my toetse het anders bewys onder sekere omstandighede...
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

pgreeff wrote: 17 Jan 2018 21:30
1. I'm confronted with two problems. The first is, do I get MT or AT?
I solved that dilemma by getting a second set of rims and tyres; one set with Muds and a second set with ATRs. At the same time, I went from 265/70 x 16s to 265/70 x 17s on both sets on my Patrol. Each set has 5 rims and tyres.

But OH!!, what a job to change wheels at home, even with two trolley jacks... and you can't take it down to TWT quickly to change, you can't fit enough tyre/rim combinations in the vehicle..... I mark each tyre's place (R.F. or maybe Sp) with chalk, so when I store them and refit them later, I know where to fit them again

I have done this with the wheels for my Pathfinder as well, a set of 5 Muds and a set of 5 ATRs. I am just lucky to have the garaging space for all the sets of rims and tyres.

PS:
I rotate my tyres (including the spare) clockwise every 10,000km. R.F. to R.R., R.R. to Sp, Sp to L.R., L.R. to L.F. and L.F. to R.F. I always buy 5 tyres when I buy new so theoretically they all wear out at the same time. That is until you lose one tyre due to a blow-out or a sidewall cut... BUT, I have achieved good results like that, about 85,000km on a set of 5 Dueller 694 tyres!
Last edited by mvcoller on 19 Jan 2018 17:43, edited 3 times in total.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

The thing on ssand .. you need floatation and the M/T breaks up the surface tension of the sand, which is bad.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Post by David M »

mvcoller wrote: 19 Jan 2018 17:23
pgreeff wrote: 17 Jan 2018 21:30
1. I'm confronted with two problems. The first is, do I get MT or AT?
I solved that dilemma by getting a second set of rims and tyres; one set with Muds and a second set with ATRs. At the same time, I went from 265/70 x 16s to 265/70 x 17s on both sets.

But OH, what a job to change wheels at home, even with two trolley jacks... and you can't take it down to TWT quickly to change, you can't fit enough tyre/rim combinations in the vehicle.....
But there is a much easier solution. Have 2 Patrols. One with AT's and 1 with MT's.... :rolling: :rolling:

One a more serious note I have had various AT's and Muds..... I would go AT's as long as they have decent sidewalls but have gone MT's only because of our solo Transkei trips and that mud/clay as per the photo a couple of pages back..... No AT is going to be of any use there and even MT's with chains can pick up problems on really steep hills if there has been enough rain.... especially with a boat in tow...
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

David M wrote: 19 Jan 2018 17:34
But there is a much easier solution. Have 2 Patrols. One with AT's and 1 with MT's.... :rolling: :rolling:

You laugh, at one stage (just after I retired) I was sitting with 3 Nissan 4x4s. I had a Terrano, a Y60 Patrol (4.2i GLX - Grey import from the UK) and a Pathfinder....

Fortunately I came to my senses and sold one, which just happened to be the Y60. Both the Y60 and the Terrano were on the market. Then about 3 years later, I traded the Terrano for the Y61 3.0 Di

The Patrol is my Offroad Tourer and taking clients on Safari to Botswana, Zim and Namibia, places where 50ppm diesel is not available (for the Pathfinder).

The Pathfinder I now see as my platkar, I use it for general driving around and when taking clients on Tours to the Lion & Rhino Park, Soweto, our like an upcoming tour to Swaziland, St Lucia, Sani Pass and home via Lesotho.
Attachments
IMG_1053 RESIZED.JPG
IMG_1053 RESIZED.JPG (331.34 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

Kagiso II wrote: 19 Jan 2018 17:32 The thing on ssand .. you need floatation and the M/T breaks up the surface tension of the sand, which is bad.
Daar is sandpad ry en daar is duine uit ry.
Sandpad wil jy float.
Duine wil jy roei
Ek se jy kan nie so lekker roei met gladde bande nie.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

mvcoller wrote: 19 Jan 2018 18:04 Fortunately I came to my senses and sold one, which just happened to be the Y60. Both the Y60 and the Terrano were on the market. Then about 3 years later, I traded the Terrano for the Y61 3.0 Di
The GQ (Y60) was definitely the best looking vehicle in the lineup.... :mytwocents: :salute:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”