Nickname: Christoph / Schulies
Home Town: COLIGNY
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2D SGL Y61
Nissan Patrol 2.8l, 1985
VW Tiguan 2.0tdi, 2009
Home Language: Afrikaans/German

Re: "Jasper" - Y61 4.2D

Post by ces »

Kagiso II wrote: 27 Oct 2017 11:50 Christoph: Gooi my jou pos adres of POSTNET stasie, dan leen ek jou my AGAROB. [of as jy naby Benoni/ Pta is .. kom haal hom]
Oom Mac, ek het toe die hoogste bod op bid or buy gehad, my Agarob is innie pos :biggrin:
"Sou die hand van die HERE te kort wees? Nou sal jy sien of my woord vir jou uitkom of nie." - Numeri 11,23
ces
Full Name: Christoph Schulenburg
Nissan Patrol 2.8l, 1985
VW Tiguan 2.0tdi, 2009

Post by ces »

ces wrote: 26 Sep 2017 12:54 Dagse almal op Patrollie, en die wie se Patrols vir nou onder die dak staan...

Ek het Saterdag my kar by Michael gaan park vir 'n bietjie TLC, en 'n effense upgrade :biggrin:

Watch this space... :thumbup:
OK, so ek het vandag my kar by Michael gaan haal...

1. :salute: great job, baie netjies!
2. Low down grunt, kom dit veral agter in derde rat, waar die NA net daai bietjie gekort het. Handig in die stadsverkeer! :wink: en natuurlik in die veld, maar dit was in elk geval nooit 'n issue nie, dis net 'n ekstra bonus!
3. Oop pad. Dit was die issue - Vandag huil die wind oor die vlaktes. Met die NA het ek maar gesukkel in sulke weer. Ek sou tipies met so 'n sterk dwarswind 90-110km/h gehaal het, redelik gereeld in 4de. Vandag was dit 110-120 al die pad, in 5de. Soos ek aan Tinus laat weet het (dankie vir die tip oor die Madman!): dis die EGT en nie die throtle wat my nou briek.
4. EGTs - Slegs een keer oor 600 gegaan, 120 teen 'n bult op. Ek het uiteindelik op 110 gesettle met lekker spasie onder my regter voetpedaal, en heerlik gecruise! EGTs meestal onder 550.

Ek vertel anderdag weer. Maar vir eers, baie HAPPY, groot sukses. Thanks Michael, jy's 'n yster en 'n man van jou woord mater! :thumbup:
"Sou die hand van die HERE te kort wees? Nou sal jy sien of my woord vir jou uitkom of nie." - Numeri 11,23
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

Christoph, really happy that you are pleased with the result.

Just to add a little bit more info on what was done.
This conversion was just aimed to get his Patrol out of "donkey mode". The engine is in a really good condition and after a compression test and noticing the very elusive silvertop pistons I think the engine will give him many happy km.

There are still quite a bit more power to mine out of the engine, but as decided before we started it was just going to be a "bolt on" to keep the costs low.

Next very import thing to do is the diesel pump as most of the power is delivered from there. If it is callibrated properly and the timing advance is set correctly it will be a totally different drive.

Geniet hom Christoph!
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)
Home Language: English

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Mine will go in to Michael for turbo sometime soon. It will be nice to go uphill a little faster :lol:
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
ces
Nissan Patrol 2.8l, 1985
VW Tiguan 2.0tdi, 2009

Post by ces »

Anthony,

Go for it! With mine, we also sorted a few other little things out, like radiator (which wasn't done properly in Lichtenburg), injectors ("clogged up"), engine mounting, etc. All important in the end. And then the MADMAN - don't know if you have one. It will take some getting used to, knowing exactly what goes on where in your engine. But, as they say: If you don't measure, you won't know!

Immediately I am wondering about the EGTs for the NA km's on the vehicle - we'll never know. And my other diesel turbo's for that matter. I suppose that's where the Inter-cooler and correct settings come in. So, this is something to consider; and obviously the limiting factor on a bolt-on. Hence the necessity. So, I will be driving with one eye on it - still to set the alarm on the EGT. Michael suggested 580, and that's what I'll do.
One thing I picked up is the enormous variance in readings depending on driving conditions and pedal control. Coolant temp will range from 75-95 C with the needle on the dash not moving a mm. Actually pretty cool gadget!

The driving experience - even with the bare minimum done, like mine, there is a more than subtle difference on the open road. You know that comfortable 'sweet spot' you reach when cruising on an open road? That's more readily available. (OK you petrol heads, don't laugh. You gotta be a smoke machine to get this! :rolling: )
Passing a truck: No more :helpsign: and rowing in your seat. It's by no means fast, but it accelerates! :woo:
And I believe that most places 5th will suffice. What I have realised though is that I shouldn't change my driving style (as in when it was a NA engine). Gear changes for example - still stay in 4th that little bit longer. Tinus explained this - more air from higher revs keeps the EGT down. I think that makes sense, if I understood him correctly.
And then, watch the EGT at the top-end.

Obviously it's early days, but my early expectations were met. I expect a little better fuel consumption, because I don't go voet-innie-hoek all the time. Will keep everyone posted. Also, as I drive it under varying conditions, I will realise just how big or small the difference for that condition is. Once again, will keep you posted from time to time.

After seeing the silver top piston design, and chatting to Michael about the low pressure set-up, and taking into consideration the excellent condition of the motor (now this is just 'Genade! Baie dankbaar...' - sorry no English here), and provided I keep it in good nick, I am confident that this engine will last a long time!

One day, I will have that fuel pump calibration done properly. But for now, I think this will do.

My opinion: Take your car to SOJO, you'll enjoy it even more :oldtimer:

Christoph
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)

Post by Rudolph »

Sounds great Christoph! Glad you happy with the new setup, I'm also leaning towards this bolt on conversion to get out of donkey mode :rolleyes:

Please post some pictures, so that we can itch some more to get ours done..... :woo:
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)

Post by Rudolph »

Michael wrote: 21 Nov 2017 19:08 but as decided before we started it was just going to be a "bolt on" to keep the costs low
Michael, did you had to adjust the fuel pump at all with the "bolt on" conversion, ie add more fuel/adjust fuel screw?
ces
Nissan Patrol 2.8l, 1985
VW Tiguan 2.0tdi, 2009

Post by ces »

turbo setup
turbo setup
'n Patrol kan sluk! - onder andere 2 x 3m kajak
'n Patrol kan sluk! - onder andere 2 x 3m kajak
Standaard piston vs Silwertop
Standaard piston vs Silwertop
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

That motor is looking GREAT Chis :thumbup:

P S ever heard of a roof rack for the boats?? :rolling: :rolling:
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(