Home builts packing system in my Patrol

Q&A: Stuff to make your trips and camping more comfortable.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Home builts packing system in my Patrol

Post by mvcoller »

I use my Patrol solely for taking customers on Safari and family holidays to places like Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and of course South Africa. I also do other African destinations.

This is what I built into the back of my Patrol:

Two slides, one above the other. The lower one houses two high lid ammo boxes (so the plates and everything can stand upright, i.e.on their edges, not stacked on top of each other), with two normal ammo boxes on the slide above, and a pull out table attached to the lower slide, so it can stay out when the slide is pulled out. This is convenient if you have things on it and suddenly you need something out of the ammo box!! The yellow thingies on the bottom right of the two ammo Box Slides are clips I manufactured to lock the slides in place.

A bit difficult to see is the 2nd aux battery that is between the slides and the left (side) window, in a battery box, utilising the space above the wheel arch. This box had a second smaller box connected via a umbilical cord. This second box houses two small Brad Harrison connectors, two cigarette lighter sockets, a 300w inverter, one Hella Plug connector and a 5v USB plug incorporating a battery voltage LCD display (2nd last picture). It also houses my 3 x two way radio charging station. Below and behind this battery, I screwed a 110mm PVC drain pipe to the frame, in an upright position, making it a safe and secure storage place for the fire extinguisher.

On the right is the fridge/freezer slide for the 90lt NL unit, and between that and the right (side) window, is again a compartment above the wheel arch; for the ground sheet to slide in from the back and a fold up chair from Frontrunner from the inside when the seat-back is folded down. Sharing the space with the chair are two rechargeable battery lanterns.

Above this all is a full wall to wall shelf, from left to right, and front to back where the recovery kit, tyre compressor, first aid kit, tool box, washing up dish, stainless tray, 220v battery charger and extension leads get stored. The middle portion of this shelf has two cut-outs for two gas bottles and two gas stove tops. The gas bottles actually stand on a second layer, type of dummy surface, below the top larger surface. The gas bottles are held down by an elastic harness that can unclip to take the gas bottles out. This shelf has a metal frame, plywood tops covered in the same grey carpet as fitted in the vehicle.

In front of the slides and the fridge slide is a 60lt water tank that takes up nearly the full width with about 200 to 250mm to spare on either side. There is a snap in water outlet between the ammo box slide and the fridge slide, than can only be used when the rear door is opened fully. The tank is wedge shaped and fits in with just millimeters to spare behind the seat backs. Under the tank (and seats) I have a safe, my high lift jack (dis-assembled), HL jacking plate, cross brace and a spade. There is a second water tap and a water inlet connection, half under the right rear seat as you open the right rear door.

On top of the water tank, a wooden frame for the smallish PV panel fits in, and seconds as a safety "net" to prevent things from the rear to come flying forward under severe barking. It very nearly touches the roof and the two side of the vehicle, so it seals that back shelf off very effectively from heavy flying objects. (last picture)

This unfortunately makes it impossible to see out of the interior rear view mirror, so I fitted a second rear view camera to the radio screen, one that switches on this rear view camera via an extra switch I fitted just above the diff-lock switch (without switching on the reverse lights, as the reverse lights actually powers the reverse camera). Sorting out the wiring for this was a major undertaking, as the two cameras interfere with each other.

I have a second Aux battery mounted in the engine bay and charging is controlled via a National Luna charging system, which by the way, I am less than impressed with. I think a straight old fashioned solenoid would give less issues. The cable leading from the front Aux battery can be disconnected from the rear battery, the cable can be interrupted buy unplugging the two small Brad Harrison connectors just after the fridge freezer. This is so that if one battery gives a problem (I've had dead cells give me problems on one of my two Aux batteries on a trip on two occasions!!)

The frame was built bit by bit, fitting it to see if it actually would fit into place, then removing it and getting the next part built and again put back, just to repeat the process (about 10 times). It took me about 4 weeks to build the unit. It can be removed totally and no new holes were drilled to fit it. Two 38 x 5mm steel flat bars were bolted to the existing Tie Down brackets' bolt holes with their captive nuts. These bars run from side to side and everything is bolted to these two flat bars.

Here are some pictures:
20160924_Safari Patrol-02.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-02.jpg (202.13 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
20160924_Safari Patrol-03.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-03.jpg (159.65 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
20160924_Safari Patrol-04.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-04.jpg (319.92 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
20160924_Safari Patrol-05.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-05.jpg (114.88 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
20160924_Safari Patrol-05a.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-05a.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
20160924_Safari Patrol-07.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-07.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
Unfortunately the next two pictures are somewhat blurred and out of focus, but you can still see what I am trying to show:
20160924_Safari Patrol-08.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-08.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
20160924_Safari Patrol-09.jpg
20160924_Safari Patrol-09.jpg (130.5 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
Last edited by mvcoller on 17 Apr 2019 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
Ds J
Full Name: Jaap Steenkamp
Nickname: Ds J
Home Town: Stella
Current 4x4: 1985 Hilux 4x4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Home builts packing system in my Patrol

Post by Ds J »

Mastag, dis prastag!
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

I was fortunate toe SEE this set up and I am still impressed.. Close to exactly what I would like to have in my iNyathi ..
[Hoekom jy so lank gevat om die post te plaas .. hê Malc ?? :biggrin: ]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Netjies makker hou van die ontwerp
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)
Home Language: English

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Netjies!
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Well done sir! :clap:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Dankie julle vir die komplimente, ek is bly daar is ouens wat wardeer wat ek vermag het na weke se werk en beplanning. Ek moet ook se, dat patry goed het sommer in plek in ingeval.......
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Inderdaad spiekeries!

Ek bou myne erg stadig - na agt jaar het ek nou eers die yskas & een laai klaar :redface:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
TijmenvdS
Full Name: Tijmen van der Steenhoven
Nickname: Tijmen
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1997 Patrol TD42 GQ ST
Chevrolet 1974 K10 402 V8

Post by TijmenvdS »

Baie dankie vir die post en vir die idees.
Dis vreeslik lekker om al die interessante dinge te sien en die unieke goed wat elkeen se Patrol uniek maak. :thumbup:
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST

Return to “19. Overlanding/Camping Equipment”