Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Bump Stops

Post by iandvl »

Folkses,

Noticed this morning that my front bump stops are done for. The one front one is gone entirely (ie: the little rubber ball thing has broken off), and it is only a matter of time before the other one gives up the ghost.

Will probably be able to source them readily easily (between Dawid and Graham). But I'm very pushed for time at the moment in terms of projects, reports and similar. How seriously do I need to have them replaced ? I recall reading a thread somewhere where someone was saying (I think it was Peter) that running without them could cause significant damage, but cannot seem to find that thread at the moment...

Also: How easy are they to replace ? Do I need to pull the coil springs to get at them ? Or can they be replaced with springs "in-situ" ?
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Bump Stops

Post by SJC »

I think it can cause strain on the shocks. but normal driving conditions would probably not cause the coils to compress all the way, putting pressure on the shocks? (causing shocks to compress all the way). Maybe more a risk on off road / crossaxle type of conditions... :think: (not sure)
Been driving my bakkie with damaged bumpstops for 2 years now... but would fix them before fitting new shocks just in case.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Thanks Fanus.

Found the other thread - http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... ops#p58844

Not worried about on-road. Worried about Moegatle. Will hear what PC's comment is on that.

On the other hand, having obvously really peeved a bunch of Toy drivers on the Whatsapp grouo prior to the weekend, perhaps I should skip it in any case.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Unless the shocks are the incorrect length, the spring should go coil-bound (IE the coils touch each other and the spring becomes essentially a solid tube of metal) before the shocks run out of stroke.

If this happens, potentially one could bend or tear/crack the spring perch.

However, I think one would have to hit a hard bump at pretty high speed (such as not seeing a high speedbump and hitting it at say 80-100km/h.
Crawling across heavy axle twisters on a rough trail like Moegatle is in my opinion extremely unlikely to cause any damage, but I would not recommend doing a dune trip without them, especially if you drive like Faan.

Shocks will only be damaged if they are actually too long, as happened to Dirk recently. This is best dealt with by extending the bump stops.

Ian, unfortunately there is no way to replace them without removint the coils. If you have access to a two-poster lift, this is fortunately pretty easy: Loosen the bottom nut off the shock and jack the car up until the coil comes free. On top of the spring perch is a little plate held on with two 6mm bolts (10mm spanner). Remove this to un-cover an 8mm nut (12 socket). Once this is loosened, the bump stop falls off the bottom, but this bolt is bonded intothe bump stop and if the top end rusts (which does happen sometimes), then it may need to be ground off.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Peter Connan wrote:Unless the shocks are the incorrect length, the spring should go coil-bound (IE the coils touch each other and the spring becomes essentially a solid tube of metal) before the shocks run out of stroke.

If this happens, potentially one could bend or tear/crack the spring perch.

However, I think one would have to hit a hard bump at pretty high speed (such as not seeing a high speedbump and hitting it at say 80-100km/h.
Crawling across heavy axle twisters on a rough trail like Moegatle is in my opinion extremely unlikely to cause any damage, but I would not recommend doing a dune trip without them, especially if you drive like Faan.

Shocks will only be damaged if they are actually too long, as happened to Dirk recently. This is best dealt with by extending the bump stops.

Ian, unfortunately there is no way to replace them without removint the coils. If you have access to a two-poster lift, this is fortunately pretty easy: Loosen the bottom nut off the shock and jack the car up until the coil comes free. On top of the spring perch is a little plate held on with two 6mm bolts (10mm spanner). Remove this to un-cover an 8mm nut (12 socket). Once this is loosened, the bump stop falls off the bottom, but this bolt is bonded intothe bump stop and if the top end rusts (which does happen sometimes), then it may need to be ground off.
Peter - thanks for the input. I think we're good for Moegatle in that case.

I'm a little worried - I'm not entirely sure when the one on the left broke off, and I've been to a few far away places since. I check the stuff regularly, so I'm pretty sure it has only happened very recently, and the vehicle has never bottomed out, so I doubt there would be any damage. I will crawl around underneath in any case and have a look. Have chatted with Graham. Will get new bump stops fitted shortly. In the meantime, I'll just need to play carefully at Moegatle tomorrow. :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Unkredible
Full Name: Bruce Williamson
Nickname: Unkredible
Home Town: Rivonia
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 3.0GL converted to TD42i
Home Language: E

Post by Unkredible »

Hi, Quick follow up. Did you have this done at Graham? If so, what did it cost?
2005 Patrol GL ex 3.0d now TD42
285x75x16 MT
40l S/S Nat Luna Beer Fridge, with Draught tap...
Bigger Intercooler, EGT, Boost Gauge
DC-DC Charger
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Unkredible wrote: 17 Jan 2018 10:23 Hi, Quick follow up. Did you have this done at Graham? If so, what did it cost?
I bought brand-new bump stops from David. That was quite a while back, so I cannot remember what they cost. It was not exorbitantly expensive though...

I've not had them fitted yet, as I'll get that done when I have the truck serviced. Almost due for service, so this should be relatively soon.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Unkredible
Full Name: Bruce Williamson
Nickname: Unkredible
Home Town: Rivonia
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 3.0GL converted to TD42i
Home Language: E

Post by Unkredible »

:thumbup:
2005 Patrol GL ex 3.0d now TD42
285x75x16 MT
40l S/S Nat Luna Beer Fridge, with Draught tap...
Bigger Intercooler, EGT, Boost Gauge
DC-DC Charger

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”