Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Modern engin oil

Post by SJC »

The liquid gold is about R175 per 5l.
I wanted to change oil and filters tomorrow, but only managed to get one 5l delo 400 mgx. So will have to wait till next week to get another 5l... :thumbdown:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

On the side:
As you mya know I was through Botswana recent with James' 4.5 petrol Patrol.
It was guzzling oil [almost 4 liters Cape Town to Ghanzi] In Ghanzi the workshop [Donovan] filld it with Shell Diesel oil .. and it has not used even a half pint since then .. all the way through Moremi and Savuti and Linyanti and Chobe and down via Nata / Fannytown to home in Benoni.
Ben Aasvoël reckons it is the valve stem seals old & tired and the Diesel oil "fixed" that
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero
Home Language: English

Post by Rhett »

That's interesting Oom Mac, do you know specifically what grade?

Do you think that going with a thicker viscosity oil for a Petrol would have done similar?
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Rhett wrote:That's interesting Oom Mac, do you know specifically what grade?

Do you think that going with a thicker viscosity oil for a Petrol would have done similar?
Hi Rhett: It was a 10/W 40 .. SHELL, it comes in a blue 5L container [not Rumula which we used in the day to sort VG 30 engines from smoking and using oil ((MUCH MUCH cheaper than an overhaul :clap: :oldtimer: ))]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Moet sê, my 4.5 gebruik ook bietie olie. (het tans Shell Helix HX7 in).
My td42 aan die anderkant gebruik niks olie nie... ruil olie elke 5k km (delo 400), nooit nodig om olie by te sit nie. :thumbup:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Funny you should mention this...

My 4.5 uses a bit of oil on long trips. It uses basically nothing in town, but on longer trips, it sometimes uses about 500ml on a tank. Only sometimes though. I think it's got to do with temperature, as it never gets properly warm in town (I actually think I need to get a warmer thermostat). Also keep in mind, a tank is 200l.

But the last time I serviced, the only Helix my local spares shop had was the Diesel version. I took it anyway, as I thought that a bit of extra cleaning couldn't do any harm (my understanding is that the difference between the Diesel oils and the Petrol oils is a bit of extra detergents in the Diesel oils).

Anyway, on my last trip to the Northern Cape and southern Namibia, it used basically nothing.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero
Home Language: English

Post by Rhett »

Peter Connan wrote:Funny you should mention this...

My 4.5 uses a bit of oil on long trips. It uses basically nothing in town, but on longer trips, it sometimes uses about 500ml on a tank. Only sometimes though. I think it's got to do with temperature, as it never gets properly warm in town (I actually think I need to get a warmer thermostat). Also keep in mind, a tank is 200l.

But the last time I serviced, the only Helix my local spares shop had was the Diesel version. I took it anyway, as I thought that a bit of extra cleaning couldn't do any harm (my understanding is that the difference between the Diesel oils and the Petrol oils is a bit of extra detergents in the Diesel oils).

Anyway, on my last trip to the Northern Cape and southern Namibia, it used basically nothing.
The plot thickens! :lol:
Ok I have to service the cars this weekend, and will do a bit more research during the week. Neither the Patrol nor my Golfy use any oil, but the oil pressure light does buzz every now and then on the golf. I think it's time I cleaned the oil pump, but maybe a thicker oil will help
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

Rett pull the sump and clean the strainer on the golf .....castrol gtx was great in a 1400 but made big sluge in a vw that ran very hot ....in my younger days we raced them :thumbup:
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Tinus lotz wrote:I think clean oil is the key here ..the midas might not be the no1 but works pretty good looking at the km that your getting ..nice to get some proper figures. ... :salute: my 4.2 loves the dello 400 and we getting it for 280 a 5l now
Het Saterdag delo 400 by midas in Malelane gekoop vir R280. (skool sport uitstappie gewees :rolleyes: )
Hulle het net een 5l gehad, Makro in Nelspruit het altyd delo 400 ge-"stock" maar lykmy nie meer nie.. in elk geval, het vandag 5l delo 400 by midas in Sabie gekoop: R302 vir 5 liter.. :surprised: :redface:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Kagiso II wrote:On the side:
As you mya know I was through Botswana recent with James' 4.5 petrol Patrol.
It was guzzling oil [almost 4 liters Cape Town to Ghanzi] In Ghanzi the workshop [Donovan] filld it with Shell Diesel oil .. and it has not used even a half pint since then .. all the way through Moremi and Savuti and Linyanti and Chobe and down via Nata / Fannytown to home in Benoni.
Ben Aasvoël reckons it is the valve stem seals old & tired and the Diesel oil "fixed" that
Peter Connan wrote:Funny you should mention this...

Blykbaar as mens eers vol sinteties gebruik, word dit nie aangeraai om na multigrade terug te gaan nie. Is dit so? :think:
Kry mens vol sintetiese "diesel olie"?
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE

Return to “09. Engines”