Front anti-sway bar QD's

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Front anti-sway bar QD's

Post by Peter Connan »

Steve, i did consider all these point during the design phase. Here are my reasons for ending up with this particular setup:

1) I made the QD end at the top, because i was concerned that brush would remove the R-clips. If I could find some of the beautiful clip-on ball joints I saw on a fancy jeep the other day, i would consider swopping.

2) With regard to disconnecting only one end, consider what happens if the dis-connected is the one which is "drooping", whith the other end fully compressed.
In this case, the disconnected end will be pointing almost straight down, ready to snag on anything handy.

On the Jeeps, the sway bar is mounted much higher than on the Patrol, where it is mounted at just about the lowest point of the car....

Hope that makes sense?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

biggles wrote::woo:
Me too...

But I had disconnects on the Jeep and found that disconnecting one side is better. That way there is only one side connector to flop around and you don't have to worry about securing the swaybar out of the way either.

From my experience with the Jeep disconnects may I give some constructive criticism? Tough, here it comes anyway

Have the disconnect only on one side and they disconnect at the swaybar. You then have a place on the chassis where the free end of the connection rod attaches using the same clip.
On the first tab, ,which is a picture of my V8's set-up, you will notice that there is a reusable cable-tie permanently strapped around the radius arm. This is what I use to strap up the connecting rod when disconnecting. It works well for me. So no flopping around of the connecting rods.

Just another comment, observation I have.
On the GU, it makes a heck of a difference in handling, on the road between connecting and not connecting. Not connecting makes the car body roll big time.
But on the GQ it seems to matter much less. Skilpad does not have a front stabiliser on. It is lifted 4 inches and does not body roll nearly as much as the GU.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by biggles »

Peter Connan wrote:Steve, i did consider all these point during the design phase. Here are my reasons for ending up with this particular setup:

1) I made the QD end at the top, because i was concerned that brush would remove the R-clips. If I could find some of the beautiful clip-on ball joints I saw on a fancy jeep the other day, i would consider swopping.

2) With regard to disconnecting only one end, consider what happens if the dis-connected is the one which is "drooping", whith the other end fully compressed.
In this case, the disconnected end will be pointing almost straight down, ready to snag on anything handy.

On the Jeeps, the sway bar is mounted much higher than on the Patrol, where it is mounted at just about the lowest point of the car....

Hope that makes sense?
Yup, all valid concerns. I never lost a clip on the jeep. If you do go both sides and disconnect at the bottom you can use the connects to secure the sway bar up and out the way.

I checked clearances a while back and while I only checked one side with the wheel on a ramp and the one side disconnected there were no issues. I was concerned that if you leave one connecting rod attached that at full droop it still limits travel. That was when I discovered how bad the articulation is on the front axle.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Yes, but considering that these were intended to be usable in conjunction with the X-link, which significantly increases front axle articulation, I think it gets much worse.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8

Post by biggles »

As in my first post i still want a set:)
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Peter Connan wrote:
Alex Roux wrote:Dis jou RTTs wat jou laat rol.
Grant het altyd gespog hy ry 160 met daai kar.
Ek weet nie so mooi nie. Ek onthou ons het agter hom gery vir 'n ruk op pad na die 60ste verjaarsdag toe. Nooit meer as 90 gery nie. Ek het naderhand opgegee en verby gesteek. Ek ry mos nie 'n Defender nie!

Patrol was great and could easily get to 160 km/hr but because I always drove with Cedric, I had to put my Grandpa hat on and stick with only smokey. Peter could not have been me as your patrol would never have got past. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Stand TJM suspension was 2 " lift only. Dirk's patrol has competition progressive coils and extra long shock. W
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Grant wrote:
Peter Connan wrote:
Alex Roux wrote:Dis jou RTTs wat jou laat rol.
Grant het altyd gespog hy ry 160 met daai kar.
Ek weet nie so mooi nie. Ek onthou ons het agter hom gery vir 'n ruk op pad na die 60ste verjaarsdag toe. Nooit meer as 90 gery nie. Ek het naderhand opgegee en verby gesteek. Ek ry mos nie 'n Defender nie!
Patrol was great and could easily get to 160 km/hr but because I always drove with Cedric, I had to put my Grandpa hat on and stick with only smokey. Peter could not have been me as your patrol would never have got past. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Stand TJM suspension was 2 " lift only. Dirk's patrol has competition progressive coils and extra long shock. W
Unfortunately the setup on the GQ was not right, I had to have the shocks replaced last month.

The bumpstops in the front was not long enough so the shocks bottomed out every time before the bumpstops could play their part.

So the shocks was totally kaput!!! Tinus hooked me up at Billstein where they fitted longer bumpstops in the front and build me custom shocks of the correct length for the front and back.

Replaced all the rubbers.

Billstein also advised me to get longer arms for the sway bar which will be fitted this weekend.

Body roll has drastically improved, flex at the back is a little bit more and the front also does not "drop" off an obstacle. On the road handling is great and I no longer need to slow down for a kink in the road.
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Dirk,

I did not have this problem. Could if be due to the extra weight you have on the Patrol ( 2 x RTT) ? +++
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

I went to bilstein and checked with them the bump stops and the length of the shocks were the problem why they died .The bump stops were brand new never tuched each other not even a mark on them,with the weight ect if you hit a pothole or something the bump stop is serpose to stop the diff moving but what happend was the shock bottomed out before it so basically destoying it self as the time goes on.
Those were some great looking shocks pitty they died this way....but now with the correct dimensions and correct flex it will last . Best is that the shocks are now serviceable if need be .
The valve setting on the rebound is set very hard thats why the body roll is limited.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Thx for the fitment last weekend, Peter! They've now been painted too...
Duram Stone Chip for the win!
Duram Stone Chip for the win!
PC QD painted.jpg (169.69 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”