Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny
Home Language: Afrikaans

New Tires - New Problem

Post by XenoBlitz »

Ok, so after 120 000 km on my previous set, I am finally satisfied that I have enough kilometers on my previous BFG tires that I can upgrade.

So on Saturday I went to a few dealers for prices and low and behold, the best quote was from TWT. (R20 000 for a set of 5.)
I finally have the tires I want - BGF 285/75/16 AT :woo:

Now for the people who have not made this switch yet, I strongly recommend it. It looks better and the handling is better. Not certain if it is due to the extra weight, or the extra contact (probably a bit of both) but the vehicle just feels more stable and secure (even on tar, but far more so on gravel.) Now I just need to go somewhere and test them out in "real" world. The local mud pool just isn't a challenge enough.

But here is the problem: My sparewheel no longer fits on my rear barn door. :thumbdown:
http://patrol4x4.co.za/download/file.ph ... w&id=18655

I have an aftermarket (Lynx 4x4) rear bumper and it has sufficient room for carrier. After my previous experience with Lynx 4x4 there is no way in hell I'd ever go back to them however to have it fitted. Is there anyone that can help me with a carrier for my spare (and maybe throw in a high-lift jack mounting)? The fitting is relatively standard, pictures below:
http://patrol4x4.co.za/download/file.ph ... w&id=18656
http://patrol4x4.co.za/download/file.ph ... w&id=18657

:helpsign:
Attachments
20170603_111927.jpg
20170603_111927.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 6031 times
20170603_111920.jpg
20170603_111920.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6031 times
20170603_111905.jpg
20170603_111905.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6031 times
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: New Tires - New Problem

Post by ricster »

By how much does it not fit? I have a wheel spacer that myself and Juice ( Greg) made up for a few guys, on the bracket to push the tyre 6mm away from the door. I have Kumho 285/75/16 on the Iron Maiden.
I'm not sure if Juice has any spacers left, as they were made to order. Alternatively maybe you can get a spacer lazer cut and anodized up there by you.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Dude daai tekkies is 3350 een george en graham het onlangs van hulle opgesit mense wil jou geld vat :thumbup:
XenoBlitz
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Thinus - Dankie. As ek in Gauteng was sou ek seker n beter prys gekry het, maar hier in Nelspruit was dit die beste prys beskikbaar.

Rickster - I need about 10mm height. (Not farther away from the door, just higher up on the door.)
The 4.5 Turbo
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Before I made the rear bumper with swingarm. I modified the OE one with some sqaure tubing. Its not a lot of work.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Post by Chris Skinner »

When I fitted my mud terrains I had the same fitment problems with the spare wheel - so I made a small mod that cost me approx. R10 !
I made a cheap spacer by fitting two pieces of plain square tube horizontally between the door and the mounting, ie shifting it out by 25mm. I did that 4 years back and in mean time a heavier wheel and much dirt road vibrations etc - absolutely successful, can not be seen so no aesthetic aspect to consider. If you only need to offset it higher, no problem, using same principle build a simple bracket - no need to spend money on this in my view.
Just paint then nicely with a rattle can, a couple of layers, inside as well, to avoid corrosion! :mytwocents:
Attachments
2012-03-04 08.38.54.jpg
2012-03-04 08.38.54.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Willem .. mirrag alweer. My Trolli loop met 285 75 16 Kumho's .. blerri GROOT wiele.. Maar myne pas WANT my bumper is gesny waar die band mot pas .. Sny vir jou [met n agnry graainder] n holte in die buffer [weld maar weer n gebuide plaat daar terug

As Michael OF Tinus [OOM Tinus] hirri sien kan hulle gou n foto opplak .. my wa staan daar by Michael vir regmaak
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Van die fotos lyk dit asof iemand reeds die standaard bracket opgeskuif het om by jou bumper te pas? Lyk asof daar 'n bracket tussen die bracket en die agterwiel gemonteer is?

Ek weet ook nie watse toerusting jy daar het nie, maar as ek regonthou kan jy darem teken? Ek het 'n gevoel mens kan daai "Knuckle"/bearing assembly iewers koop. Dalk 4x4 direct? As jy dit kan kry, kan jy redelik maklik vir jou 'n arm laat fabricate. Maar dit gaan steeds redelik duur wees.

Die goedkoop alternatief is om daai bestaande "adapter plaat" af te haal en een te laat maak wat net effe langer is?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: George Brittnell
Nickname: georgeb
Home Town: Hartbeespoort
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by georgeb »

Dagsê, indien jy na al die manne se raad steeds gestrand is, praat met my - ek het so onlangs soos twee weke gelede vir my 'n swaai-arm wat 'n 285/75/16 band akkomodeer, laat opsit - sal jou my kontak se naam en nommer gee.
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
XenoBlitz
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Gentlemen

Thank you for all the advice. Yes, I can draw and I even have a workshop that can fabricate... but I have to also be honest here... I was never really fond of the heavy weight on the rear barn door, and this is the perfect excuse for me to upgrade to what I really want - a sway arm. (Hopefully one that can also accommodate my hi-lift jack seeing as I rarely use my roof rack and I don't really like having it inside the car.) So I'm willing to spend a little money for a proper sway arm. I also don't feel like paying school fees and and as a wise man says: "Sukkel is n keuse." So I'd rather go with one that already works.

George, I'm not stranded (yet) as all of the advice given is workable, but I believe you are the only man offering me what my heart desires. I'll send you a PM. QQQ
The 4.5 Turbo

Return to “39. Vehicles Accessories Wanted”