Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 97 Patrol TD 4.2 Manual TS
93 Patrol TBE 4.2 Manual Hi-Roof
08 Toyota Raider D/C 4.0 V6 4x4
11 BMW X5 Auto 8 speed -Swambo
Home Language: English

7th injector?

Post by Tunja »

Hi Guys after putting on 33"Muds onto the 98' 4500 its killing me on pulling power with the XCape. I've had it at the dyno tuners twice for pinging at 3200rpm -its a lot better but still pings under heavy load.

I've heard with the chip I have I can fit a 7th injector in the intake somewhere so if this can eliminate the pinging I can rev the motor to peak torque then I will be happy... if not then I really need to look at doing something - maybe sell and buy the 4.8?
'97 GQ 60 TD4.2 ST Patrol : Roof rack, Winch, Dual battery system, Tow Bar, 2" suspension.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 7th injector?

Post by Peter Connan »

I struggle to see how adding more fuel can prevent pinging. As far as I know this is generally only used on aftermarket turbo installations?

Retard the distributor by 5 degrees and see if that helps.

:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Which Octane petrol do you put in your Patrol ?
I was driving oom Kobus' [Herrie op Safari] 4.5 down to Richtersveldt and it was also pinging 'erg' around 3 000
At and Springbok they only had 95 octane [oom Kobus always put 93]
Within 20 - 30 Km later I could feel the performance had improved and by the time we climbed Aninous Pass the pinging was gone.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Peter Connan wrote:I struggle to see how adding more fuel can prevent pinging. As far as I know this is generally only used on aftermarket turbo installations?

Retard the distributor by 5 degrees and see if that helps.

:mytwocents:
I agree totally,
detonation is a combination of timing & octane problems - either you need to retard the timing or up the octane to find the sweet spot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

I would suggest you check that the Knock sensor is connected and is working correctly..
When people service the vehicle and replacing sparkplugs they break the wire where it plugs in at the wiring harness :salute:
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

What everyone above said and remove the chip........... There are various threads on pinging 4.5's dating back almost 10 years and the 3 main causes are -

1. Octane
2. Timing that has been advanced too far - As yours has a chip it has obviously been to a tuning house and the easiest way to find power and economy on the 4.5 is to advance the timing. It is fine under normal conditions but as soon as you put it under load it will ping.
3. Remove the chip - The chip does nothing for our old school pushrod motors other than cause it to ping under load. That is why the tuning houses advance the timing so they can show some power gains as they actually got nothing from the chip.

Another reason for lack of power is the fuel pump that no longer gives the required pressure. Has previously been discussed in detail but get Graham to send you the correct one. Even Nissan supplies the wrong one.

And then finally replace the PCV valve which you can get from Nissan for about R 400.

And if it is still sluggish check the compression. Mine had a stage 2 upgrade done by a tuning house in 2002 and in 2016 blew the head gasket between cylinders as they had installed an aftermarket one. Took 4 000 km to work out what was wrong as it did not overheat and only lost 6 kw.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
Tunja
Full Name: Ernest Tunnah
Nickname: Tunja
Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 97 Patrol TD 4.2 Manual TS
93 Patrol TBE 4.2 Manual Hi-Roof
08 Toyota Raider D/C 4.0 V6 4x4
11 BMW X5 Auto 8 speed -Swambo

Post by Tunja »

Thanks for the advice guys :salute: :salute: I almost got a 4.8 but missed it by a whisker... I'm off to work for a few weeks then I will get hold of Francois here in Capetown and see what he can find. Pump was replaced by the tuner, just hope with the right pump.
'97 GQ 60 TD4.2 ST Patrol : Roof rack, Winch, Dual battery system, Tow Bar, 2" suspension.
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

David M wrote:What everyone above said and remove the chip........... There are various threads on pinging 4.5's dating back almost 10 years and the 3 main causes are -

1. Octane
2. Timing that has been advanced too far - As yours has a chip it has obviously been to a tuning house and the easiest way to find power and economy on the 4.5 is to advance the timing. It is fine under normal conditions but as soon as you put it under load it will ping.
3. Remove the chip - The chip does nothing for our old school pushrod motors other than cause it to ping under load. That is why the tuning houses advance the timing so they can show some power gains as they actually got nothing from the chip.

Another reason for lack of power is the fuel pump that no longer gives the required pressure. Has previously been discussed in detail but get Graham to send you the correct one. Even Nissan supplies the wrong one.

And then finally replace the PCV valve which you can get from Nissan for about R 400.

And if it is still sluggish check the compression. Mine had a stage 2 upgrade done by a tuning house in 2002 and in 2016 blew the head gasket between cylinders as they had installed an aftermarket one. Took 4 000 km to work out what was wrong as it did not overheat and only lost 6 kw.
David maybe you should entice him with one of those aircleaners to enhance his power.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Goeie dag
Retard die camtiming! Dis al wat gaan help. Jy gaan dan inboet met lae rpm torque en gain vanaf 3500 rpm. Dit sal die ping uitsort punt
Die krag wat jy lae rpm verloor is nie so baie sodat jy gaan sukkel met wegtrek of bulte in 1ste rat nie. Jy gaan so 10 nm weggooi onder en dit bykry bo.
Ongelukkig suffer daai engines met ons octaan brandstof. Hulle was ontwerpmet hoer brandstof octaan...
Retard die cam met 3 tot 4 grade. Jy gaan n sprokket moet modify vir dit, maar die moeite werd.
Groete
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.

Return to “09. Engines”