Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Front Axle Lockers

Post by SJC »

Dink ek met ook later n voor locker vir my bakkie kry....
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Wilkie wrote:Are there any front diff lockers available for the 4500 L Patrols :think:
As oompie said before .. for diff lockers on Nissan .. speak to Mike Swann . 082 569 4183.
He was the FIRST in SA to to put lockers on a Nissan Sani [fron & rear] His prices ar half that of ARB. He gives personal attention. And he stands buy and quality control the installation. And their guarantee is a "no backtalk .. just replace attitude" .. I like that
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST

Post by offroadbiker »

Been waiting 3 weeks for a price, but he keeps me updated.
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by biggles »

Dusting the cob webs off this post to get some updates from people who have had front lockers installed and thier experiences with them.

I am particularly interested in the autolockers. How do they work? I have heard two extremes of operation. One is that they only lock when you need them and the other is that you find yourself not being able to turn on a tight obstacle bacause the locker is locked?

Anyone have support for the e-lockers? It is my favourite option at the moment.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL

Post by SJC »

Autolockers available for a patrol front h233b diff: LOKKA, Lockright, Detroit (more pricey than the other two).
Also Spartan - I dont really know this brand.

The autolocker only locks when there is power on the front wheels. (must be in 4h or 4l).
It disengage when vehicle turns, then inside wheel will lock. "when there is an external force being applied to a wheel to make it turn faster than the rest of the drive train will LOKKA allow one wheel to differentiate. ".

http://www.lokka.com/howitworks

As mentioned earlier in this thread: speak to Ronald at 4x4traction or Mike Swann. They both very knowledgeable on autolockers..
I know Ronald has been driving with autolockers in his 4x4's for many years and swears by them.

info@4x4traction.co.za (ronald)
nizaniauto@gmail.com (mike)

‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

Consider me more enlightened :oldtimer:

So watched a bunch of videos and did some more research and I must say the torson style limited slips appeal to my love of simple engineering principles. But the lack of full lock turned me off them.
The ARB airlocker is just something I am not into... too complicated even though I acknowledge that it is a good system.
The e-locker appeals to me more and the unlock from forward to reverse doesn't seem like a big issue especially in practice as if you were rock crawling and you had to start to reverse with a wheel in the air the transition from forward to reverse would be accompanied by a foot firmly on the brake.
But the Detroit locker, with some research, has moved to the front of my list of what I would want. So in practice in 2H and the hubs on auto you are not going to know you have a locker. As I understand it 99% of the time the front diff is stationary. That means that you will have no funny business on the road. When in 4H or 4L with hubs locked I am 4x4ing and the clicking and other associated issues will not be an issue. The unlocking around corners seems to be a reliable feature and the competition guys have a detroit upfront with on demand lockers at the rear as they get better turning that way. Lockrite seems to be a more gentle system but looks like they may not have a patrol version?
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

biggles wrote: I must say the torson style limited slips appeal to my love of simple engineering principles. But the lack of full lock turned me off them.
I have them front and rear in my old Discovery 1. They are hard to beat for over-landing. They give incredible stability to the vehicle. I happily drift a lifted fully loaded lifted vehicle on dirt roads with this system. And you won't even realise you've blown out a tyre (I know, I've done it). You can put two wheels on tar, two on dirt, put it in first low range and floor it - with no wheel spin at all. They're always there always working - fit and forget. They only need 5ft/lb of resistance to operate. So if you lightly apply the brakes, they immediately work. But you can break your CV joints if you are silly with the brakes. In real terms they actually add far more value and utility than just about any other kind of locker. I understand that they are now also available for some vehicles with a switchable full locker option and if so you then would have the best of both worlds.

PS: They are NOT limited slip diffs (although often referred to as such) - they are gear operated (there are no clutch packs) torque biasing differentials - they do not limit slip but direct the torque to the wheel that has the traction. They are practically unbreakable and do not wear out.
Last edited by Clem on 01 May 2017 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter B »

I saw on facebook that Terrain Tamer now stocks the e-locker.Perhaps give Marinus a shout for some pricing options.
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

Pieter B wrote:I saw on facebook that Terrain Tamer now stocks the e-locker.Perhaps give Marinus a shout for some pricing options.
I found Bloem outlet on the international web site. Is that Marinus?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

Jip dis hy ja.... :thumbup: