On the move
Full Name: Chris Rawlins
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Hillcrest
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Bluetooth Streaming

Post by On the move »

Good Morning. Instead of replacing the OEM radio and CD/tape deck system, has anyone tried to connect up a bluetooth system to the vehicle in order to achieve this, as well as using it as a phone kit. Thanks. Chris
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Bluetooth Streaming

Post by Tinus lotz »

Iam following this one.....
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by iandvl »

I am not an audiophile, and I'm also not familiar with the stock Nissan radio (my Patrol had an aftermarket in when I received it). So I'm unsure what inputs / outputs the radio will have.

I see two potential options.

1: Using an FM modulator for streaming bluetooth. This is a device for which you preset an FM frequency. It transmits low power FM at the frequency, and then you will be able to tune your factory radio into this frequency.
2: Using a bluetooth audio receiver. This is a bluetooth module which connects directly to the auxiliary input of your radio (assuming the OEM radio has auxiliary inputs - but I am sure it would have).

Both should allow you to receive telephone calls over the car radio (ie: the call should play over the vehicle speakers), but the FM modulator will require the use of the phone's microphone.

Make sure that the audio receiver you chose also has a microphone. Examples of these are: http://www.dx.com/p/ts-bt35a08-mini-por ... MeeuyGGP0o and http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/27187071 ... w_Mic.html

A final note: these require the device to be plugged into the auxiliary port on the radio. However, most radios would have auxiliary ports on both front and back. I assume it would be relatively easy to fit the device somewhere where it is close enough to the driver for the mic to be effective, and also somewhere discreet (so that you don't have a thing sticking out of your radio the whole time).

I'm sure Christo would have more appealing options, but as I said in the beginning - I'm not an audiophile, and I am partly deaf in any case :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero

Post by Rhett »

Hi Chris

When I got my Patrol, it came with a Parrot hands free kit. It is quite a high end one from what I can see.

It has a screen mounted to the dash, a remote control mounted next to the gear stick, and various inputs installed in the glove box.

It has bluetooth and streams very well, has USB, ipod and aux inputs as well as a slot for an SD card. It overrides the radio if a call comes in, somehow :think: which is also great. Basically a great all-round system. It accesses your phone book on your phone, and has a voice command system too.

I can get the model name if you are interested
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by AndriesS »

My personal experience 5 cents not with patrol radio, but with Volvo , new mMnis, MBs etc. I've used bluetooth, RCA, FM, CANBus etc

FM systems are poor, I've had cheapies and high end Kenwood FM units, same problem - somewhere you drive through an area where there is a radio transmitter that is close to your selected frequency and your sound goes for a loop. In theory the better ones will disconnected the aerial while it's on to limit interference. Our soundwaves are not clean in SA.

A Jippo option if you have a separate CD changer is simply wire into the audio lines of the changer to the head unit and add a bluetooth receiver and plug in into there. Generally even auxiliary plugs setup performance is below par. Problem with all these options is interference and impedance matching .

I bought a Sony unit about 7 years ago, back then it was 2k5, and I could play usb sticks, control my ipod via the usb either by radio or on the ipod itself, connect my bb or iphone via bluetooth and call and play music. I fitted it in the Patrol and of the typical mods (bumpers, sliders etc) this is the mod I use 99.9% of the time .

I have better sound than 90% of the typical adapters and less issues . I don't have steering wheel buttons (have GL)
On the move
Full Name: Chris Rawlins
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Hillcrest
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by On the move »

Hi guys. Thanks for the help. I like Rhetts option at this stage. Gonna hang on for a few more days mulling this one over and then I'll make a decision.
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

I gave my trol a 10 year birthday present and installed a Pioneer X5850BT (Makro online special) - the bluetooth works fab for streaming. But probably not the answer you're looking for.
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8

Post by biggles »

Parrot is the quick and easy way to go with the least hassles. They are very well "made".

But in the long run you are best to turf the whole OEM unit and go for a good sony/ pioneer system and while you are at it turf the speakers too. It really makes the world of difference have good sound. You will be surprised how a constant fuzz on the sound system actually tires you on a long trip. The FM system will always have a slight grey noise background.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yeah I can vouch for changing the speakers !! I turfed my old ones out a good few years back and replaced them with a Kicker split system..... What a world of difference !!!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

Most of the modern head units have Bluetooth functionality so the money saved on the Parrot can be used for speakers.... And amplifiers :woo: and subs :woo: :woo:

System I used in the Firetruck;

Audiobank head unit with Bluetooth, SD, USB, CD/DVD, radio with DVD screen that can be used for reverse camera and extra screen outputs - R 1 300
Audiobank slimline sub with integrated 2 channel amp - R 1 900
Set of JBL splits R 1 100

And the main thing is not to scimp on the wiring and cabling - use overkill and do not run RCA's or speaker cables next to power cables...
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie

Return to “13b. Audio Systems”